Firmware 10.02, SysEx ID, and user cabinets

Hi all,

I had originally promised to leave this post for good, but since it seems to stay up on the first page, i must admit I got curious ;)

Now since people seem to discuss what I did and did not say and why I wrote to Fractal, I'd like to add my own statement to put this in perspective:

I discovered the sysex issue whilst trying to upload some impulses (I just find Bome's more convenient, since you just double-click the file you want to upload from the Explorer and hit F4, just personal preference; in AxeEdit you need to change the source every time you want to switch the folder, you can't double-click but need to right-click and "Audition", yada yada). At first I thought: "oh, these impulses all sound similar", since the sound didn't change :D
Then, when I realized that apparently the impulse change didn't work, I started fiddling around with program settings, restarting my MIDI interface, checking cables, the works.

It was then that I remembered that there was a line in the readme for the update that said something about sysex, which led me to realize the consequence of this change. The fix was then a pretty easy matter.

My key motivation in contacting Fractal was NOT to make them aware of the tool (and get glory from it)! I wanted to make them aware of the consequence of the Sysex ID change for users of MidiOX et al (in case they hadn't been) and to ask them to make this more explicit on their website and in the README, so that other users would not have to go through this. That was it, PERIOD.

The request for help with the mac version was more an afterthought and not really that important to me. Maybe was misunderstood (communication is a difficult thing...).

Regarding my tool: it IS a "little utility"! I knocked it together in not much more than an hour (I warned you - use at your own risk :D ). My frustration stemmed not from the fact that my tool was not appreciated but from the rude way Fractal treated an (up to then) enthusiastic AxeFX owner who had found a legitimate issue and brought it to their attention, NOT by ranting and raving but by providing constructive suggestions. I was only trying to help, for heaven's sake!

Did I step on someone's pride??

Lastly to electronpirate/Ron: I think I have explained my reason for being "peeved" - no need to put words in my mouth (or mind)... I agree with you that Fractal is doing an incredible job with constant updates, added functionality etc. I disagree with your statement that Cliff has NO obligation to fix issues with third-party sysex transfer. Let me explain (if you're interested):

Accepting valid sysex files is a feature of the product (AxeFX), that has been working since the product was launched (at least since I got mine). How to get these sysex files to the product is essentially the user's decision (especially since the Axe-Edit, as often mentioned, is officially in not-supported beta stage) - sending sysex files is a standardized functionality that should not require any specific software. After the firmware update, this normal sysex transfer does not work anymore for your existing files - something got broken. My old principle is: if you break something, you're (at least morally) obliged to fix it.

Fractal have certainly provided a workaround with the Axe-Edit, both for sending and for converting individual sysex files, which is appreciated! But at the very least, they have confused the h** out of me and a couple of other users who wondered why their established way of working didn't work any more.

Thanx to all of you who gave me positive feedback - appreciated!

Cheers,

Torsten

I wasn't going to say anything in this thread but I have been watching it. I've noticed a lot of people are using third party programs because they're afraid to use Axe Edit. I've been using Axe Edit since I got my axe almost a year ago, and while the first versions I used did have a few issues, the current version seems to be working perfectly. I've used it a lot as of late and have had zero problems with it. I'd like to suggest that you guys who are tentative about using it, give it another try. It really is working beautifully at this point. As for the back and forth about the rest of it, I'm staying out of that part of it, but do consider giving Axe Edit another try. If you haven't used it in a while, I think you'll be surprised how well it's working now.

DLM said:
I wasn't going to say anything in this thread but I have been watching it. I've noticed a lot of people are using third party programs because they're afraid to use Axe Edit. I've been using Axe Edit since I got my axe almost a year ago, and while the first versions I used did have a few issues, the current version seems to be working perfectly. I've used it a lot as of late and have had zero problems with it. I'd like to suggest that you guys who are tentative about using it, give it another try. It really is working beautifully at this point. As for the back and forth about the rest of it, I'm staying out of that part of it, but do consider giving Axe Edit another try. If you haven't used it in a while, I think you'll be surprised how well it's working now.

It's the Preset Manager that I had my troubles with.
Do your comments above extend to the Preset Manager too?

It's the Preset Manager that has to be used to send User Cab IRs to the Axe, no?

Yep, that's what I had trouble with too in the earlier versions. It kept getting stuck and having problems. It's fine now. I was using it to try out a variety of cabs and patches, both local and from axe exchange, and it was working just fine. Give it a try. It's really much better now. :)

Given the response by Cliff to this issue and his response to MFC "reserve" list CUSTOMERS, I think it is apparent the man is not enjoying this stage of his company's growth. For the most part, these CUSTOMERS are amateur guitarists (as am I) and are not brilliant in the ways that are needed to easily use FA's products. A minority of users (also the vocal, loyal and most likely professional ones) are well versed in MIDI and other computer programming concepts and do not understand why so many people complain so much. I am in the middle, I have some knowledge but I have no experience with MIDI at all. This foot controller will be very difficult for me to understand. In my OPINION, Cliff Chase has become nasty and fed up with the CUSTOMERS he has trained so well to depend on him. This isn't unexpected or bad, but a point in the process of building a company based on an excellent product with high demand. We are near the point where Mr. Chase may need to decide whether this ever increasing workload is what he bargained for. I bet he wishes he could go on a 1 year vacation. It is also possible that many more people are needed to facilitate painlessly the needs of his CUSTOMERS. This is also where companies get sold for a big payday and the customer support we have had to date becomes a distant memory. I understand why he is acting the way he is, but I certainly do not enjoy it, especially the waiting behind line jumpers after waiting in line over 2 years.

John

moregear said:
Given the response by Cliff to this issue and his response to MFC "reserve" list CUSTOMERS, I think it is apparent the man is not enjoying this stage of his company's growth. For the most part, these CUSTOMERS are amateur guitarists (as am I) and are not brilliant in the ways that are needed to easily use FA's products. A minority of users (also the vocal, loyal and most likely professional ones) are well versed in MIDI and other computer programming concepts and do not understand why so many people complain so much. I am in the middle, I have some knowledge but I have no experience with MIDI at all. This foot controller will be very difficult for me to understand. In my OPINION, Cliff Chase has become nasty and fed up with the CUSTOMERS he has trained so well to depend on him. This isn't unexpected or bad, but a point in the process of building a company based on an excellent product with high demand. We are near the point where Mr. Chase may need to decide whether this ever increasing workload is what he bargained for. I bet he wishes he could go on a 1 year vacation. It is also possible that many more people are needed to facilitate painlessly the needs of his CUSTOMERS. This is also where companies get sold for a big payday and the customer support we have had to date becomes a distant memory. I understand why he is acting the way he is, but I certainly do not enjoy it, especially the waiting behind line jumpers after waiting in line over 2 years.

John
Are you kidding?
He's always been snarky! :lol:

/fanboy mode

See I don't get the fanboy mentality. When I've met my heroes (Uli jon Roth and Mikael Akerfeldt), I didn't ask for their autographs or a pic. Just a handshake and a thanks for the hard work. I respect Cliff's obvious intelligence, and I do get his loathing of the customer. I own self serve carwashes and I'd like to strangle half of my customers (filthy inconsiderate pigs), but I don't and I keep my muttering down low. :)

John

I'm glad I found this post. I posted today that I can't load presets and found this post. can someone kinda give me a step by step instruction on loading sysex files to the axe fx through axe edit. I get a bit confused reading the axe edit instructions. Bomis was way easier but doesn't work w/o the converter program mentioned here.

Thanks Torsten - your utility came in handy for me today :) AxeEdit didn't work (always got "bad checksum" on the AxeFx), so I had to use an alternate program.

so... where exactly does this stand now? I just posted a new thread (first time trying to use IR) trying to figure out why redwirez would not work!! i guess i will try to use snoize since i have mac...It would be cool if there was a guide or process on how to go about getting these IR cabs to work with the Axe-fx w/out using the axe-edit

so... where exactly does this stand now? I just posted a new thread (first time trying to use IR) trying to figure out why redwirez would not work!! i guess i will try to use snoize since i have mac...It would be cool if there was a guide or process on how to go about getting these IR cabs to work with the Axe-fx w/out using the axe-edit

The way it stands now is that you HAVE TO use Axe Edit.
SysEx Librarian will not allow you to change the sysex ID of the IR's .syx files.
The only way to use SysEx Librarian now is if you also have a utility that allows you to modify the HEX-based text within the .syx files.
There is such an editor out there for Mac, but it only does one file at a time.
It's called Hex Friend.

As to how exactly to use Axe-Edit to ul cab IR's to the User Cab memory, I haven't really done it yet myself because I don't play FRFR.
But, it looks like you get all your Axe-ready cab IR's (in .syx format) into a folder on your hard drive and point the first pane of the Preset Manager, with the Cabs tab selected, to that folder as the source.
You should now have a list of all your cab IR's visible in the Preset Manager.
Now go to the Axe's Cab Block in the Axe's Layout, and enter Edit mode.
Choose the User Cab location (1 thru 10) to which you would like to load a User IR.
Choose an IR in the Preset Manager and hit Save.
I believe that "Save" will save the IR to the Axe's User Cab slot that is currently selected.
That User Cab will now be available to any Preset.
If I'm wrong, then I'm sure that someone else will chime in and correct me.
Good luck.

Actually, it looks like I'm wrong about the ul'ing the IR to the Axe part.

It looks like after you've got your IR folder loaded into the lh Cabs pane of the Preset Manager that you need to use the rh pane's Axe-FX/Cabs tab to choose the 10 User Cab locations on the Axe.
Simply drag the IR's you want from the lh pane into the rh pane and then hit "Save" on the rh pane.
I think.

Awesome... I will try this way that you have explained... It is a different method then the wiki says and what other people have offered which have all failed me so far...Will try asap when im off work. Thank you Joey! I hope it works lol
The way it stands now is that you HAVE TO use Axe Edit.
SysEx Librarian will not allow you to change the sysex ID of the IR's .syx files.
The only way to use SysEx Librarian now is if you also have a utility that allows you to modify the HEX-based text within the .syx files.
There is such an editor out there for Mac, but it only does one file at a time.
It's called Hex Friend.

As to how exactly to use Axe-Edit to ul cab IR's to the User Cab memory, I haven't really done it yet myself because I don't play FRFR.
But, it looks like you get all your Axe-ready cab IR's (in .syx format) into a folder on your hard drive and point the first pane of the Preset Manager, with the Cabs tab selected, to that folder as the source.
You should now have a list of all your cab IR's visible in the Preset Manager.
Now go to the Axe's Cab Block in the Axe's Layout, and enter Edit mode.
Choose the User Cab location (1 thru 10) to which you would like to load a User IR.
Choose an IR in the Preset Manager and hit Save.
I believe that "Save" will save the IR to the Axe's User Cab slot that is currently selected.
That User Cab will now be available to any Preset.
If I'm wrong, then I'm sure that someone else will chime in and correct me.
Good luck.

Actually, it looks like I'm wrong about the ul'ing the IR to the Axe part.

It looks like after you've got your IR folder loaded into the lh Cabs pane of the Preset Manager that you need to use the rh pane's Axe-FX/Cabs tab to choose the 10 User Cab locations on the Axe.
Simply drag the IR's you want from the lh pane into the rh pane and then hit "Save" on the rh pane.
I think.

It also looks like you can use Axe-Edit's Audition command from the lh Pane's Cabs Tab to send the selected Cab IR to one of the Axe's User Cab slots.
If you don't have a user cab slot number selected on the Axe it will send the "audition" to User Cab slot #1.
Check the text entry at the end of the Preset Manager User's Guide.

It also looks like you can use Axe-Edit's Audition command from the lh Pane's Cabs Tab to send the selected Cab IR to one of the Axe's User Cab slots.

This is the easier method for me. Just find the files on the left side, make sure your current cab it set to one of the User IR's you don't need, then just right click, audition.

Okay, well None of the tips everyone has told me and tried to help has worked... Just been messing around the last two hours trying to get redwirez into my actual axe-fx and nothing works. Wonder if redwirez will give me a refund. So bummed I can't get this to work! Hopefully a new version axe-edit will come out or something

Okay, well None of the tips everyone has told me and tried to help has worked... Just been messing around the last two hours trying to get redwirez into my actual axe-fx and nothing works. Wonder if redwirez will give me a refund. So bummed I can't get this to work! Hopefully a new version axe-edit will come out or something

Or you can forget about Axe-Edit, and follow the instructions so graciously provided by Torsten (first post in this thread) to alter/fix the .syx files so that you can use any reliable midi librarian to load the cab models into your Axe.

I think it could be done on the Mac with a shell script. I'll look into if I can find some time.

Edit: This is the shell script you need for OS X:
Code:
for f in "$@"
do
    FILE_NAME="$f"
    printf "\x00\x01\x74" | dd bs=1 count=3 seek=0x01 conv=notrunc of="$FILE_NAME"
done
You put this into Automator starting with a Get Selected Finder Items action followed by Run Shell Script action set to:
Shell: /bin/bash
Pass input: as arguments

If you are not familiar with Automator I'll create a workflow for it later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom