Firmware 10.02, SysEx ID, and user cabinets

ToH2002

Hi All,

for all those of us who do NOT use the Editor but Tools like MidiOX or Bome's SendSX in order to upload impulse responses for the user cabs, the update to Firmware 10.02 will cause problems. Since the SysEx ID has changed from 00 00 7D to 00 01 74, sending .syx files via the above tools will in all probability (unless .syx files have been created with the new ID) NOT work for most of your sysex files (especially RedWirez .syx files).

For all of us who find MidiOX or SendSX easier to work with to quickly browse through impulse responses, the only solution is to patch the first four bytes of every .syx file from (hex) F0 00 00 7D to F0 00 01 74.

Since you don't really want to do this manually for a large number of files (>22.000 for the complete RedWirez library...), I have built a little tool (sorry, Windows only...) to automate this.

Download: this Zip file, unpack it (no installation necessary), and simply drag & drop files or folders containing .syx files onto the program's icon. The tool will ignore any non-.syx-files, .syx files that don't start with the "old" header, and of course any files already patched.

Processing my complete set of RedWirez impulses took less than a minute.

PLEASE: make a backup of your .syx files first!!!!! I've knocked this tool together very quickly - no guarantees against malfunctions etc - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! Did work for me without a hitch, though ;)

Also: you might want to keep a copy of the "old" files anyhow - in case you decide to "downgrade" to the older firmware or for your older backup AxeFX or any such scenario.

The tool was built in wxWidgets without any Windows-specific extensions, so a Mac version would be pretty easy. If you're a Mac Programmer and would like to port this thingy, just PM me or post a reply. If you want to give me a Mac as a present, PM me as well :lol:

Cheers,

Torsten

This has to be the *biggest* motivator for *not* moving to new f/w that I have yet seen.

What the hell were they thinking? Was this truly inevitable, of just rushed?

Probably just not considered. To be fair: uploading "old" .syx files via the updated editor *does* work. It's just that I prefer these quick and simple tools - just two clicks and your impulse loads...

But I guess it's a minor nightmare for Redwirez - they'll have to provide two .syx files for every impulse now - "Before 10.02" and "After 10.02".

Cheers,

Torsten

AlbertA said:
Are you sure you didn't change your sysex ID in your Axe-FX?
Nevermind, I see fractal audio has actually obtained a correct Manufacturer ID now (they were using an "educational purpose" ID before)

OK, so there was really no way around having to change ID sooner or later. Just the implications possibly weren't completely foreseen...

Torsten, is the issue only affecting user cab IR files? Or are presets or banks of presets also at stake?

Rich G. said:
AlbertA said:
Are you sure you didn't change your sysex ID in your Axe-FX?

Can't we just do that to make things compatible?... or doesn't it work that way.

No, the sysex ID only changes the second byte (the 7D part).

AlbertA said:
Does that setting still exist in 10.02?

Good question, but it won't solve the problem anyway.

Seems like the smart thing to do is to just NOT install 10.02 since it doesn't add anything new anyway. Torsten's utility is a good stopgap for Windows users, but presumably by the time an essential update comes along there'll be a cross-platform bulk updater available as well, either from Fractal or a Mac programmer. The actual code is a pretty simple substitution, anyone with some scripting ability should be able to do it.

Seems like the smart thing to do is to just NOT install 10.02 since it doesn't add anything new anyway.
But what about the next updates ? It'll still be there, so...

This change is inevitable. Fortunately I use Axe Edit.

chase said:
The actual code is a pretty simple substitution, anyone with some scripting ability should be able to do it.

Yep, the effort was more the ability to traverse folder structures quickly and to make sure that only the right files are patched. Again, if anyone has a Mac and the ability to compile C++ with wxWidgets, this should only take half an hour max. Any volunteers?

Cheers, Torsten

Quick update: interesting response from Fractal Audio support...

I had emailed Fractal's support in order to raise awareness of the Sysex IT + .syx file issue and suggested that they update the web site and readme file to make users aware of this issue. I also asked them if there was maybe a Mac programmer within Fractal Audio who could help with the Mac version of the tool (after all, Fractal Audio created the issue in the first place by temporarily using a "non-official" Sysex ID...). The official answer was (verbatim!):
All communications with the Axe-Fx should be done through Axe-Edit. Axe-Edit handles the sysex ID and translates accordingly.
:shock: So far, Fractal Audio has always been famous for customer-friendliness and responsiveness - what has happened here???

Also considering that, according to the web site:
The software is currently in BETA and is not officially supported by Fractal Audio Systems.
and
A Sysex utility can also be used. We recommend Midi-Ox for the PC
or Snoize Sysex Librarian for the Mac.
:? :roll:

Cheers,

Torsten

Yikes!!!

Given that half the population here can't get AxeEdit to work, let alone those of us who won't let AxeEdit near their Axe for fear of borking their unit - and this is acceptable, given it's BETA code - I think that response is not all that good.

Torsten, I think your little application will become popular. Thanks for the heads-up. I personally will stay put on 10.0 until I feel an IMPORTANT need to catch up (and then, I will use your app to "fix" all my .syx files). I'm sorely disappointed, though... this is the first time since I bought my Ultra that I feel like I'm using a product in development, a work-in-progress (as opposed to a stable, supported product).

This is getting better and better...

Fractal Audio's answer to my mail that said that I didn't really find their reply helpful
We're not ignoring the problem or you. We HAD to change the MIDI sysex ID. Axe-Edit reprocesses sysex files and changes them to the new ID. No further effort is needed on your part and your little utility is unnecessary.

Do they even realize how arrogant this sounds / reads??? :eek:

And just try to change 20.000 syx files by loading them into Axe-Edit and saving them one by one...

OK, I tried to help, but I have seen clearly that this is neither wanted nor appreciated. Guess I will keep the file up for a few days and depending on demand decide if I keep it on my server...

Cheers,

Torsten

ToH2002 said:

Fractal Audio's answer to my mail that said that I didn't really find their reply helpful
We're not ignoring the problem or you. We HAD to change the MIDI sysex ID. Axe-Edit reprocesses sysex files and changes them to the new ID. No further effort is needed on your part and your little utility is unnecessary.

And just try to change 20.000 syx files by loading them into Axe-Edit and saving them one by one...

OK, I tried to help, but I have seen clearly that this is neither wanted nor appreciated. Guess I will keep the file up for a few days and depending on demand decide if I keep it on my server...

Cheers,

Torsten

thanks, it is appreciated.

ToH2002 said:

Cheers,

Torsten

Listen, I'm sure your help is appreciated...but if you're using BETA code, how can you expect another response? They would work on it so it's solved for EVERYONE and not have to use a utility. By the time they're finished with it, the change will be invisible to every user involved. I don't see it as arrogance, but rather 'We're on it, just hold off a bit'.

But thanks anyway for going through the trouble. It's a good catch. Plenty of people here help out Fractal, but you have to probably accept that the help might not be accepted...

Ron

A utility is not necessary nor is the need to update your sysex files. If you load the sysex files via Axe-Edit it will automatically update the sysex ID dynamically.

If you choose to use a third-party librarian then you will need to modify your sysex files to the new ID.

Much ado about nothing.

Back
Top Bottom