FC-6 + FC-12 Manual

I've found it easiest to always use external switches for things that work with momentary commands, like engaging increased depth and rate of a modulation just while the switch is held down, or for increasing or decreasing a preset etc.

When you get into latching and changing presets it was also difficult to know the given state of the assignment, and also if that reflects the state of the switch itself, even if you have ones that can have a status LED. Always created a bit more confusion than benefit for me using them with the MFC

Being able to have them do a preset change, scene change, etc though is really useful and I think can expand the FC6 potential a great deal. However, unless you build your own, the cost of buying 4 external switches, all housed together with dual jacks, each on their own etc, can add a fair bit of cost, and still does take up some space, so your maybe not 'saving' all that much buying a $500 FC6 and then $100 in switches and TRS cable, to add 4 buttons, over just paying $700 and getting a FC12 which would give you 12 switches, and that would have a bit more flexibility too.

Really tough call as the FC6 is really powerful for its size, and changing a layout to access banks, presets etc really isn't too difficult and opens it up so much.... but, at the same time, would I grow annoying with having to do the dual switch press, enter layout mode, switch to my preset layout, select one, then go back into the layout mode, select my scene 1-6 layout, and jam with that.. ?
See my previous post re: whether the physical switch is latching or momentary.

Also, many people already own external switches, so no additional cost... BUT if you don't, I would agree - buy the FC-12.

I haven't played with them in a long time, but if your physical switches are momentary, I don't think this should happen.
You're right, it "shouldn't" happen... but it does. Maybe it was changed in a FW update at some point, but I never saw it mentioned and haven't tried since way back. I only use the external switches for Vol +/-

So just wondering how it's working on the III... and I agree that even just using externals for preset changes and tap tempo would be a great way of freeing up the 6 or 12 onboard switches.

No, but you can specify that a specific button is assigned a specific preset.

Or you could use Bank Toggle... Or Bank Increment / Decrement with large values.

Yes, but neither of those is as useful as just being able to randomly access any preset number you would like.

See my previous post re: whether the physical switch is latching or momentary.

Also, many people already own external switches, so no additional cost... BUT if you don't, I would agree - buy the FC-12.

Can a latching switch now reflect state changes on a preset change ? Previously, if I had a latching switch, with a status LED, and I had it set up to turn on say a boost, I’d hit the switch, the LED lights up, and my boost is active.

If I changed presets though, that switch is still on the closed setting, and my new preset wouldn’t have a boost engaged, although the switch showed the LED lit up, so it would get confusing.

I don’t see how the III can reflect status changes between presets to an external basic switch, so you don’t know visually what is engaged or not, thus my comments about using just momentary which will always be off, unless you press them, so easy to do things like +1 preset, delay hold etc, as you know the state at all times.

This is what would be nicer about the fc12, since it could reflect active blocks, current scene etc visually with the LCD and color ring

Is there a way to get a latching external to reflect preset changes and default states when loading now ? That would be pretty cool and useful if so

If I changed presets though, that switch is still on the closed setting, and my new preset wouldn’t have a boost engaged, although the switch showed the LED lit up, so it would get confusing.
This will not change. No MIDI controller can un-latch your analog switch on preset change. My advice? Don’t use LEDs on external switches. They can’t be synced.

This will not change. No MIDI controller can un-latch your analog switch on preset change. My advice? Don’t use LEDs on external switches. They can’t be synced.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Personally, I would use them only for "stateless" functions anyway: preset/scene/channel/bank Increment/decrement, tap tempo, tuner, volume up/down... Or specific effects that require momentary.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Personally, I would use them only for "stateless" functions anyway: preset/scene/channel/bank Increment/decrement, tap tempo, tuner, volume up/down... Or specific effects that require momentary.

That is exactly what I said in my initial post based upon my past experiences with external switching, but I thought then you were suggesting this wasn’t the case any longer, which would be cool but I didn’t really see how it could work.

Guess we are all in agreement though as far as latching external switches go and the same ‘issuses’ will still be present even with the FC’s

So happy to read this manual, wonderful work ! I think the FC12 might work to replace my LF+12+ with some very good benefits and awesome integration.

Am I reading the manual correctly...there are only 6 Control Switches and they are global (not assignable per preset, page 36)? My external looper will use up all of them just to cover basic functions. Hopefully this is an arbitrary limitation and could be expanded in the future to...12 or more???

My only question is the same as yours. To be able to replicate my setup I would need at least 12 Control Switches (24 would be even better to have some margin for extra stuff). I hope too this was an arbitrary limitation and that it can be increased in the future.

That is exactly what I said in my initial post based upon my past experiences with external switching, but I thought then you were suggesting this wasn’t the case any longer, which would be cool but I didn’t really see how it could work.

Guess we are all in agreement though as far as latching external switches go and the same ‘issuses’ will still be present even with the FC’s
Yeah, using momentary external switches that are set to be "logically defined" as latching is probably the best case for functions that require latching.

Re-reading the FC manual, I'm not sure if that will actually work or not.

1) It doesn't look like there's a specify preset by number mode. This would allow you to hit a button to enter the mode then each of the buttons would be 0-9 with an enter button. So if you had special effects presets starting at, say, 400 with your "regular" presets in the 100s you could easily go back and forth without banking. I found this useful on the RJM GT22 and it would be a no-brainer on the FC12 (which I will be getting). Not sure there'd be an easy way to implement it on the FC6 though.

You can basically do this. The trick is Layout Links.

Create a picker layout with the following:
  • 1 switch set to go to bank 10 (presets in the 100s)
  • 1 switch set to go to bank 40 (presets in the 400s)
  • 10 switches to go to preset in bank and then set Layout Link to change to your performance layout - if you had a reason to go to a different layout sometime you could configure hold functions to do the same as tap but have a different layout link.
  • You have two switches left to perhaps increment/decrement banks or ???

Anytime you want to enter this “mode”, configure a switch to load your picker layout.

As always, fantastic manual! Clear and easy to read. Looking forward to using the FC.

Some questions:
1) If MLM switch combo is enabled, is the lower right footswitch's Tap function unpredictable in its down-/up-stroke behavior?
Manual says to disable MLM switch combo "To guarantee that the lower right footswitch fires its Tap function on the down- instead of the up-stroke." "Guarantee" seems to imply unpredictability otherwise, or am I reading too much into the wording?
2) I don't think it's expressly stated how Tap Tempo and MLM switch combo plays together. Does it behave the same as defined here:
"The Tap tempo switch is unique in that it registers timing based on the switch down, even when a Hold function is assigned to the same footswitch."​

Last edited:
As always, fantastic manual! Clear and easy to read. Looking forward to using the FC.

Some questions:
1) If MLM switch combo is enabled, is the lower right footswitch's Tap function unpredictable in its down-/up-stroke behavior?
Manual says to disable MLM switch combo "To guarantee that the lower right footswitch fires its Tap function on the down- instead of the up-stroke." "Guarantee" seems to imply unpredictability otherwise, or am I reading too much into the wording?
2) I don't think it's expressly stated how Tap Tempo and MLM switch combo plays together. Does it behave the same as defined here:
"The Tap tempo switch is unique in that it registers timing based on the switch down, even when a Hold function is assigned to the same footswitch."​
1: "guarantee" just means to be sure it does engage on the down. it isn't saying that it might engage on down or up who knows. it just means you can be sure it happens on the down, rather than trying to time your up/release.

2: it does honor that.

1: "guarantee" just means to be sure it does engage on the down. it isn't saying that it might engage on down or up who knows. it just means you can be sure it happens on the down, rather than trying to time your up/release.
So with MLM switch combo enabled, the lower right footswitch's Tap function always fires on the up-stroke, yes?

Back
Top Bottom