FAMC LF+ with Axe-Fx II - Quick Start Guide and Template:

Can you step on preset 2 of an armed song and have it go directly to that preset, or will it always trigger the first preset in your songs too?

LF songs are just collections of LF presets, so I don't understand why they would need to default to the first preset no matter what button you hit when they first load. Does anyone have this working differently? :encouragement:

If I step on any song preset, the system still loads the first song preset. I just read that Jeff is planning to unlock that tendency.

I was preparing to post a work around for you. Which was to suggest you create a preset with no programming - a blank one. You create a LF page that doesn't have preset 1 on the first button where you'd normally use it, but that page begins with preset 2 at your feet. You then place a preset 1 holder in a page button beyond your reach, such as page button 50.

Now when you step on a preset, the song will load preset 1 which you've placed on page button 50, which is a button you can't get to on your pedalboard. Since the preset doesn't do anything, you can then step on your first preset (which is really song preset 2).

It is really dizzingly confusing to have to screw around with that concoction.

Glad Jeff is sorting it out for you.

I just want to thank everyone who posted here for helping me get my +12 up and running, particularly rodzimguitar68. It is true that once you "get it" it transforms from a $600 door stop to a powerful tool. Please keep this thread going, soon other excited LF purchasers will frantically be looking for help. Thank you all. I'm now gonna do something I haven't done in awhile. Play my guitar.

One thing I have not worked out is getting my tuner to show up on the LF. More specifically the tuner shows up on the LF but there is no movement. The Axe goes into tuner mode and it's on the LF but no arrows. In I/O-midi of the Axe I have send realtime sysex set to all. In the LF I have an I/A switch set to tuner CC#15.

Can anyone offer some insight as to what I'm missing or have set up wrong?

I dream to have this kind of software for mfc:?

A forum member here (jjozwia) created one. Looks good.

eJoz Software - Home

ejoz_software005001.jpg

ejoz_software005002.jpg

ejoz_software006001.jpg

ejoz_software006002.jpg

ejoz_software006003.jpg

Last edited:
EJ JAMES thanks. I've seen this video before. Can't wait to hear more about the wireless option. I already have those steps entered into the LF. If that is all there is to do on the LF then maybe it's a setting on the Axe. Anyone care to share what their settings are? I may have missed something there.

So good to see I'm not the only one having trouble getting his read around this machine and the way it's built up. It's a serious mindf.... And I don't use words like that lightly.

I have a 12+ since November last year. It took me weeks to get my basic page set up and working right. Well, mostly. It's still often displaying wrong preset names and not updating them from the axe until after I select them. There are preset names on numbers where they have never been on my AxeFx. After I press on them they get updated to the current preset, but next time the wrong name is back again. I think something went wrong with the setup wizard or some way I tried to import the presets from the axe into the 12+. "Look! It programs itself". Not really. I'm sad to say. I tried to get it to import the correct ones again but failed up to now.

I have it set up to have scenes 1-4 on the bottom row, with presets as the long press 2nd function, since I usually play a song in one preset and switch scenes for the parts. IA's on the other two rows, except switch 9 which is bank up and down. I have two exp pedals and two buttons on an external box which now work well that are setup as tap tempo and page selectors.

I have one other page which is just one preset up and down and the rest all IA's. Especially for exploration of Yek and Fremens banks.

I haven't really been in the mood to work it further. Which is a shame, because it is such a powerful machine.

I would love love to delve into song and set list mode further, but I'm just... I get tired just thinking about it. It's my high school physics books all over again. If ever I couldn't get to sleep I used to grab one of those and never got further than half a page.

Last edited:
gibvictory - did you try with 2 midi cabels betwin axe and LF? Try w/o any other midi device in the loop. Do not start Axe Edit as well. Did you set your IA for TUNER as "Function" = "G-Tuner"?. In Global2 - did you set "Guitar Tuner" to "Axe FX"?

Dutch - about wrong preset name, I had problem with preset names when there were other devices in midi chain, now I use midi splitter - and no issue since then. But in your case, did you set "Global2" -> Preset Name Srs -> Axe-Fx; and 3 buttons below to ON (green)?

Prot, I did not try a 2nd midi cable. I'm using a 7 pin and as I understand it that allows for two way communication between the Axe and LF so a 2nd cable should not be needed. I have tried it with Axe edit and the LF editor disconnected. I also have an IA button set to function and CC#15. In Global I have the Axe selected for tuner. In the Axe IO midi I have I have realtime sysex set to "all". I have also tried putting it just on tuner. The tuner default CC#15.

I will try a second midi cable and removing my other midi device just to test. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dutch, I have no business offering help but I had one thought as I read your post. Take a look at the midi offsets in both the LF (global) and Axe. Then go into your presets in the LF editor and in command programming recheck the Axe PC# is correct. Fooling around with the offsets in both units I discovered the PC# changed by one number in the LF command programming line. You did not specify how far your presets shifted.

I first used the wizard just to see what it would look like on the LF. Wound up not using it because I'm only using presets right now. I made individual presets on one page as per rodzimguitar68's separate thread in this section.. Scenes and IA's are in my future. I'm I did not get the LF to update from the Axe either. Another issue to be solved in the near future. If you haven't read the entire thread there may be some helpful things here. Good luck.

I will try a second midi cable and removing my other midi device just to test. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Do not do that. (1) 5-pin or 7-pin provides 2 way communication. Do not form a MIDI circle by using 2 midi cables.

DO NOT.

From page 9 of your hymnal:

[COLOR=rgb(30.980390%, 50.588240%, 74.117650%)]MIDI OUT (MIDI IN and Power)[/COLOR]
The Midi Out port normally functions as only a midi out connector. Usually data transmitted from this interface will befrom the Liquid Foot itself. In the global menu, you can turn the MIDI THRU ON. When ON, data from the MIDI IN portwill repeat on the MIDI OUT port.
The MIDI OUT connector is designed to be used as a 5 pin, or as a 7 pin interface. It carries standard MIDI OUT, with theinclusion of MIDI-IN, and Phantom Power (from pins 6/7). DO NOT attempt to power external devices from thisinterface. If using phantom power, you must deliver at least 9-12V AC/DC, 800ma per LF+ connected.
When using this port for MIDI-IN data, DO NOT connect another midi device cable to the MIDI IN of the LF as the systemwill not process both channels simultaneously.

indeed, rodzim is right, I'm using home made midi cabels and splitter, and I have just 1 direction per cabel (2 wires). Sorry. I hope The Earth is still there if you already did THIS ;).

Might try asking over on the FAMC forums.

Have you tried a full factory reset, then following that video? If that doesn't work I'd start suspecting possibly a bad unit. The tuner is really easy to set up, as shown in that video.

gibvictory – are you confident that your LF+ MIDI IN is responding correctly to other messages sent from MIDI OUT of AXE? For example: if you change preset on Axe does it reflect on LF+ (providing you have set to ON – green – “Allow Ext Device Force Preset chg” in "Global 2").

I did not have "Allow Ext Device Force Preset Change" set to on when I set up all my presets due to some earlier issues. I did turn it on as one of the potential fixes for the tuner knowing I need two way communication for the tuner to work. Still not sure if the "Allow Device" is working since I still don't have the tuner working and I can't tell if the Axe is sending the preset information to the LF. When I change presets on the LF, which I set up in the editor, my presets change correctly on the Axe. I sent in a support ticket earlier today to FMAC as suggested by EJ James. He also thought I might try a complete reset on the LF which I will do this evening. I do have everything backed up.

Thanks for checking in. If you think of anything else let me know.

I did not have "Allow Ext Device Force Preset Change" set to on when I set up all my presets due to some earlier issues. I did turn it on as one of the potential fixes for the tuner knowing I need two way communication for the tuner to work. Still not sure if the "Allow Device" is working since I still don't have the tuner working and I can't tell if the Axe is sending the preset information to the LF. When I change presets on the LF, which I set up in the editor, my presets change correctly on the Axe. I sent in a support ticket earlier today to FMAC as suggested by EJ James. He also thought I might try a complete reset on the LF which I will do this evening. I do have everything backed up.

Thanks for checking in. If you think of anything else let me know.

I do not use the Sync feature of the LF to query the Axe for its effect states and populate the LF switches. I configure my LF presets with IA initial states - ON, BYPASS, OFF and roll with LF presets. I used to use Instant access buttons on my page for overdrives and delays, but after scenes were invented, I preferred to also change to a different scene whenever changing even 1 little effect during a song, so I could have ultimate volume control too. Therefore I began using more LF presets in songs - so I was sending a scene change command along with effects changes.

Having said that, I have had the visual tuner on my display since day 1.

I am at work, and not able to look at my Axe FX to confirm what settings it is set to, but in the MIDI section of the I/O menu, you can stipulate "send Tuner only" or "send sysex and tuner" I probably just botched the real wording of those choices, but that is where your problem likely is. Not with the Allow Ext Device Force" setting on the LF.

Your problem is that the AXE is not sending the info to the LF so it can be displayed. And that can be changed in the I/O menu of the midi settings.

So, try that next.

Thanks

So - first a BIG shout out to AZG for beginning this thread and posting his template. It was a big help for me in getting me started so that I could learn a bit about how the LF & Axe both work in terms of the MIDI side of things. While i was working through diffilculties that i experienced I came here for guidance and all you guys are amazingly supportive so many thanks to you all!

My difficulties were two fold. First, I had NO IDEA what i was doing so i messed up something before downloading the template. The 2nd description line in the big main readout on the LF was constantly reading "STOP--------", any activity that did occur quickly flashed for 1/2-second, so page jump commands were not working. Also, i think the fact that the template was created for the 8-button, and I have the 12-button, probably added to whatever difficulties I created.

BUT, his template helped to teach me enough about the basic mechanics of how everything worked that i was able to do a factory reset on the LF and have enough knowledge to program everything from scatch and all of my issues went away! I am thrilled beyond words!

Deciding on an approach I like best for solo boosting is next (trying a few different approaches). Then wrapping my head around Scenes, X/Y states and multiple amp blocks is next on my plate. But now that I've got enough knowledge to find my way through everything and use the new tools/toys in performance this journey has becom fun.

Thanks again everyone for your collective help it is greatly appreciated!

:encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom