FAMC LF+ with Axe-Fx II - Quick Start Guide and Template:

AZG

Experienced
Quick Start Guide V1.1 - Updated 4-30-2014

I created this LF+ quick start template and Axe-Fx II preset to try and help new LF+ users get up and running quickly with something that more fully demonstrates the capabilities of the LF+ when used with the Axe-Fx II. Hopefully it will save you MANY hours of confusion, frustration and headaches. The LF+ controllers are well designed and very powerful, but not well documented or easy to figure out. This LF+ template was created for the LF+ JR+ so it only uses 8 buttons, but should work well on all LF+ controllers. Once you get the hang of it you can easily expand the layout to utilize all the buttons on your unit.

This LF+ template loads and saves preset names and AI states as you select presets, has scenes, tuner, tap tempo, looper, metronome, presets, effects and expression pedals one and two all ready and functioning. There is a main page, jump page, presets page, looper page and two pages for effects that you can easily use and customize to your own needs.

How to use the LF+ Template and Axe II Preset:

Step 1: Connections
Using 1 MIDI cable, connect the MIDI Out on the LF+ to MIDI IN on the Axe2. I use a single 7-pin MIDI cable with the LF+ power adapter plugged directly into the "Phantom Power" port on the back of the Axe2 (small adapter plug required) to transfer power and data between the units. A standard 5-pin MIDI cable can also be used, but the LF+ power adapter must them be plugged directly into the LF+ instead of the Axe2.

Connect LF+ and your computer with a USB cable.

Step 2: Software
Download and install the LF+ editor software and drivers from FAMC.

Step 3: Verify Connectivity
Now that everything is connected (MIDI and USB) and the drivers and editor are installed you need to verify connectivity between the LF+ and your computer.

Power up the LF+

Launch the LF+ Editor. As soon as it opens you should see it connect and start transferring information from your LF+. This should take about 5-10 seconds to finish. Once done it may notify you that there is a firmware update. If so install the firmware update and repeat this step.

If the LF+ Editor successfully connected and transferred the setup from you LF+ you are ready to move on to the next step. If not, you need to verify you have everything connected correctly and the latest drivers and editor software are installed correctly.

Step 4: Install the LF+ Template and Axe2 Preset
Download my LF+ Template and Axe2 preset syx files here in a single LF+ Template Zip File. Decompress to find two syx files.

Launch the LF+ Editor

Click the “Backup” button to back up the current setup.

Click the “Open” button and leave everything at default settings then click the second "Open" button and then select the syx file “LF+ JR+ Template for Axe-Fx II.syx”. This loads the syx file to the LF+ Editor on your computer. This template was created using LF+ firmware v3.29.

Click the “Transfer All” button and select the “Send All to LF+” option to transfer the template to your LF+ MIDI controller.

If the transfer screen popped up and you do not get an error message the LF+ should now be ready.

Launch AxeEdit

Install the preset "Axe2 Demo Preset for LF+.syx" to a slot of your choice on the Axe2. The LF+ Template assumes that your Axe2 is set to factory defaults for the most part. If you changed anything from factory defaults other than what is listed below you may need to do a “factory reset” on your Axe2 to get the template working. This preset will only work in firmware version 14 and above.

Axe-Fx Settings I have changed:
Under I/O, MIDI I changed "Display Offset" to 1 so the patch numbers line up between Axe and LF+
Under Global, Config I have "Spillover" set to "Both"

Step 5: Test the Template
Close or disconnect the LF+ Editor and AxeEdit (not necessary but reduces lag issues)

Use the large dial on the Axe2 to select the Demo Preset included in the Zip file.

Start using the LF+ MIDI Controller to test the setup as seen in the photos below.

I use second functions (push and hold for 1/2 second) on many buttons. Looking at the page layouts in the LF+ Editor is the easiest way to see what is going on.

Expression pedal 1 is set up to control volume, expression pedal 2 is set up control a Wah pedal (toe up is off) in the included preset.

Main Page:
This page has preset selection Up/Down, Scenes 1-6 (push and hold buttons for 1/2 second for scenes 4-6) across the bottom, 2 effects (push and hold) on one button, tap tempo and lastly a button for the jump page and last page used (again push and hold).
photo 1-2.jpg

Jump Page:
This page allows you to quickly jump to other pages like the looper page or presets page, plus it has a button for the metronome and tuner on it.
photo 2-2.jpg

Looper Page:
This page has most of the looper functions working. Several buttons on this page also have multiple functions. The LF+ series does not currently have a proper looper control mode so the lights do not synchronize properly with the Axe. Let FAMC know that you want them to implemented a proper looper control mode so the lights and everything else synchronize properly with the Axe.
20140419-IMG_0637.jpg

Preset Selection Page:
This page only has bank up/down and presets on it. Buttons 4 and 8 have second functions to jump to the Main Page and Effects 1 Page.
20140419-IMG_0638.jpg

Effects 1 Page:
My most commonly used effects are on this page. Most buttons have a second function. For example Drive 1 and Drive 2 are on the same button. Buttons 4 and 8 have second functions to jump to the Main Page and Effects 2 Page.
20140419-IMG_0639.jpg

Effect 2 Page:
Same as Effects 1 Page with other effects. Buttons 4 and 8 have second functions to jump to the Main Page and Effects 1 Page.

Step 6: Optional
While the LF+ will save present names as you use them, you may want to preload everything to make presets easier to find. To do so you need to run the LF+ Editor “Automatic Programming Wizard” with everything turned OFF in the wizard window. This will load all your preset names without screwing up the template.

I hope LF+ users will find this template helpful. If you figure out ways to improve the template please post back to this thread changes you made. A group effort will probably make this template a whole lot better.

Last edited:
YES! nice work.:encouragement: will be upgrading to a jr+ some time in the next year and hopefully jeff will have released the wireless retrofit package by then.

Thanks AZG! I'm downsizing to a JR+ in the next couple weeks and have been playing with a bunch of different programming in the editor to prepare for how I intend to use it. I'll definitely check out your setup when I'm trying things out! :)

Thanks AZG! I'm downsizing to a JR+ in the next couple weeks and have been playing with a bunch of different programming in the editor to prepare for how I intend to use it. I'll definitely check out your setup when I'm trying things out! :)

I hope you find it helpful. If you figure out any better ways to do things please report back to this thread so everyone can benefit.

When I click on the link I get a blank page. I'm in win 8. I expect my LF12+ back tomorrow for a repair. I never even got off the ground with it but already knew it would be a bitch to figure out. Does the link still work?

Seems to be working fine for me on a Mac. Maybe try right clicking and doing "save as" or looking in your downloads folder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice post-I have had mine since it came out and I love it. Pretty much do the same as you do. It is amazing!

I love mine. Only regret is I didn't go ahead and get the + model so each button had it's own screen to tell me what is assigned to it at that moment. It becomes difficult to remember what the button might do in a given situation simply by assigning unique colors to them, because the buttons could do any number of 100's of things. Having the screen with words descriptions would have been sweet.

There's always a chance for an upgrade in my future though.

My LF+Pro+ came in mid last week and I've never been so frustrated with a piece of gear in my life.

Hopefully these templates will help me with an "a HAH!" moment so I can understand how to program it.

I had it working right out of the box (following the instructions in THIS video) using a 5 pin midi cable and power plugged directly into the LF+ unit, but tonight I added in the phantom power box from FAMC using a 7 pin cable and nothing seems to work except changing patches. It won't sync up with preset names or anything.

Gonna sleep on it and get a cooler head before trying again tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I've had a few people sending me private messages asking for further help. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who use this guide telling me what is not clear so I can update the guide.

By the way, Jeff specifically recommends that you do NOT put tap tempo and tuner on the same button. Dunno where I saw it - on one of his videos...
I created this LF+ quick start template and Axe-Fx II preset to try and help new LF+ users get up and running quickly with something that more fully demonstrates the capabilities of the LF+ when used with a Axe-Fx II. LF+ template loads and saves preset names and AI states as you select presets, has scenes, tuner, tap tempo, looper, metronome, presets, effects and expression pedals one and two all ready and functioning. There is a main page, presets page, looper page and two pages for effects that you can easily use and customize to your own needs. This template is what I wished was available when I originally received my LF+ JR+ to help me get started. Hopefully it will save you MANY hours of confusion, frustration and headaches. The LF+ controllers are well designed and very powerful, but not particularly well documented or easy to figure out. This LF+ template was created for the LF+ JR+ so it only uses 8 buttons, but will work well on all LF+ controllers. Once you get the hang of it you can easily expand the layout to utilize all the buttons on your unit.

You can download a zip file with the two syx files here. To use simply load the demo preset to your Axe II and the LF+ template to your LF+ midi controller.

LF+ JR+ Template for Axe-Fx II.syx
- Load this syx file to your LF+ using the LF+ Editor. This template was created using LF+ firmware v3.29.

Axe2 Demo Preset for LF+.syx
- Load this preset you Axe-Fx II using Axe Edit. This preset will only work in firmware version 14 and above.

Once everything is loaded you may want to run LF+ Editor “Automatic Programming Wizard” with everything turned OFF. This will load all your preset names without screwing up the template.

I use second functions (push and hold for 1/2 second) on many buttons. Looking at the page layouts in the LF+ Editor is the easiest way to see what is going on.

Expression pedal 1 is set up to control volume, expression pedal 2 is set up control a Wah pedal (toe up is off) in the included preset.

Main Page:
This page has preset selection Up/Down, Scenes 1-6 (push and hold buttons for 1/2 second for scenes 4-6) across the bottom, 2 effects (push and hold) on one button, tap tempo and tuner (push and hold) on one button and lastly a button for the looper page and preset page (again push and hold).
View attachment 21213

Looper Page:
This page has most of the looper functions working. Several buttons on this page also have multiple functions. The LF+ series does not currently have a proper looper control mode so the lights do not synchronize properly with the Axe. Let FAMC know that you want them to implemented a proper looper control mode so the lights and everything else synchronize properly with the Axe.
View attachment 21214

Preset Selection Page:
This page only has bank up/down and presets on it. Buttons 4 and 8 have second functions to jump to the Main Page and Effects 1 Page.
View attachment 21215

Effects 1 Page:
My most commonly used effects are on this page. Most buttons have a second function. For example Drive 1 and Drive 2 are on the same button. Buttons 4 and 8 have second functions to jump to the Main Page and Effects 2 Page.
View attachment 21216

Effect 2 Page:
Same as Effects 1 Page with other effects. Buttons 4 and 8 have second functions to jump to the Main Page and Effects 1 Page.

I hope LF+ users will find this template helpful. If you figure out ways to improve the template please post back to this thread changes you made. A group effort will probably make this template a whole lot better.

+1 on that. Some of the page templates or maybe the wizard combines those on the same button. It's bad.

I had tempo on function 1 and tuner on funtion 2. On several occasions I was attempting to hold the button to get to the tuner, but when I released it, I wasn't in tuner mode yet. So I held it again, and the same thing happened. Now all of my gear was tap tempo'd to 30 bmp or lower. Not cool.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Pretty damn frustrated here. Just got the LF12+ forty eight hours ago. Hate it already. The manual is just useless to me. Can't seem to get the auto programming wizard nor the Axe programming wizard to work or I just can't see that it's working. Can't figure out how to transfer AZG's template from my downloads file to the LF. Watching the youtube videos are not getting me there. Can't transfer Axe presets to LF. No instructions or tutorials on how to use the editor, really?

I'm committed to this thing as I've made some other purchases around the smaller footprint of the LF so I have to make it work. Anyone willing to reach out and get me up and running? Maybe by phone or Skype?

Pretty damn frustrated here. Just got the LF12+ forty eight hours ago. Hate it already. The manual is just useless to me. Can't seem to get the auto programming wizard nor the Axe programming wizard to work or I just can't see that it's working. Can't figure out how to transfer AZG's template from my downloads file to the LF. Watching the youtube videos are not getting me there. Can't transfer Axe presets to LF. No instructions or tutorials on how to use the editor, really?

I'm committed to this thing as I've made some other purchases around the smaller footprint of the LF so I have to make it work. Anyone willing to reach out and get me up and running? Maybe by phone or Skype?

48hours? I've got no sympathy for you. You'll have to be pissed off for 30+ days minimum before you can join the club, LOL! LF documentation is a wreck. I've found that experimentation gets me further than anything else. It's a vastly capable piece of hardware with a creator who is too familiar with it to see it through the eyes of any mere mortal. Couple that with poor communication and you're sure to pull your hair out.

I'd be willing to help via email. My first inquiry will be to have you describe your rig. IMHO there are completely different "best" approaches depending on what you're trying to control. As an example, I had a nearly 2 month battle with a sync issue and felt like I was alone in the world because other users told me there was no problem. Turns out there WAS a problem but those guys weren't using it the same way I was. My issue was finally resolved with a firmware update.

There are so many different approaches you could take. I'm least surprised of anyone on the planet that you're frustrated. ☺ PM me if you want my email. I don't know everything, but I can help.

The fact that you already hate it tells me that in 4 weeks you'll be the forum guru, helping others get through their dark times. Stick with it. Write down everything you need the foot controller to do, on paper. Post it on FAMC forum and we can guide you. It helps to know how you are going to use it. Do you play in a jammer band, improvisational, or do you play songs organized into set lists. Also list your midi effect units or amps you will be controlling.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: npx
Wasn't there talk on the FAMC forum earlier this year of Jeff having something like 40 new instructional videos being edited down to post online about the LF+ series? I think only one or two actually went up so far. I seem to recall reading quite a lengthy list of topics covered.

There are quite a few + series videos out there. Helped me get up and running. If you think this is bad, be glad you didn't buy one of the original units (the original series, before the +... I've still got my old Pro)! The auto-programming wizards etc. work fine for me, and we didn't have any of it way back when. It was sheer madness. And, yes, Jeff is a genius who knows his gear way to well to write documentation - even the videos speed by salient points. I and others have BEGGED him to work with someone who knows NOTHING about this stuff - a tech writer who would approach it cold and therefore (after much pulling of hair and peppering of Jeff with questions) would actually produce some cogent documentation for 'us mere mortals'.

Back
Top Bottom