FAMC LF+ with Axe-Fx II - Quick Start Guide and Template:

I did not have "Allow Ext Device Force Preset Change" set to on when I set up all my presets due to some earlier issues. I did turn it on as one of the potential fixes for the tuner knowing I need two way communication for the tuner to work. Still not sure if the "Allow Device" is working since I still don't have the tuner working and I can't tell if the Axe is sending the preset information to the LF. When I change presets on the LF, which I set up in the editor, my presets change correctly on the Axe. I sent in a support ticket earlier today to FMAC as suggested by EJ James. He also thought I might try a complete reset on the LF which I will do this evening. I do have everything backed up.

Thanks for checking in. If you think of anything else let me know.

Hey givictory - just in case you haven't tried this, in the page to set up your IAs, on the left side for your "On" settings you shouldn't choose "Midi Command", you must choose "G Tuner" instead, then CC# 15. Also there's no need to set up anything on the "Off" side of that setup. I also have the Axe II XL and on one of the two "Global" settings pages on the LF I needed to select the "AXEFXXL". After making those two changes the tuner finally worked properly for me.

Hope that helps.

I do not use the Sync feature of the LF to query the Axe for its effect states and populate the LF switches. I configure my LF presets with IA initial states - ON, BYPASS, OFF and roll with LF presets. I used to use Instant access buttons on my page for overdrives and delays, but after scenes were invented, I preferred to also change to a different scene whenever changing even 1 little effect during a song, so I could have ultimate volume control too. Therefore I began using more LF presets in songs - so I was sending a scene change command along with effects changes.

Having said that, I have had the visual tuner on my display since day 1.

I am at work, and not able to look at my Axe FX to confirm what settings it is set to, but in the MIDI section of the I/O menu, you can stipulate "send Tuner only" or "send sysex and tuner" I probably just botched the real wording of those choices, but that is where your problem likely is. Not with the Allow Ext Device Force" setting on the LF.

Your problem is that the AXE is not sending the info to the LF so it can be displayed. And that can be changed in the I/O menu of the midi settings.

So, try that next.

Thanks

Thanks Rodney, I have tried, in Axe IO midi, realtime sysex set to all and also tuner. neither worked. I did a complete reset on my LF, successfully downloaded the Axe wizard to the LF and still no tuner. I also tried the auto program several times and each time a message came up saying the Axe was not connected properly. As far as I know it is. Connected to the LF while it is in editor mode, 7 pin connected to the Axe. Tried midi thru both on and off on both units. I can change patches on the Axe with the LF. I'm sure two way communication is the issue but there is some setting somewhere I'm missing.

Hey givictory - just in case you haven't tried this, in the page to set up your IAs, on the left side for your "On" settings you shouldn't choose "Midi Command", you must choose "G Tuner" instead, then CC# 15. Also there's no need to set up anything on the "Off" side of that setup. I also have the Axe II XL and on one of the two "Global" settings pages on the LF I needed to select the "AXEFXXL". After making those two changes the tuner finally worked properly for me.

Hope that helps.

That is how I have it set up. I do have AXE FX II chosen. So far I have things set up as has been suggested by everyone. Still waiting to hear from FMAC.

Hope that helps.

That is how I have it set up. I do have AXE FX II chosen. So far I have things set up as has been suggested by everyone. Still waiting to hear from FMAC.

Could you try a different cable? And could you post your saved configuration back up file for the LF. I want to see if the tuner works after I install your programming in my pedal, and also check a few things in your programming to see if something silly pops out at me that explains this.

Thanks

How do you SILENCE the guitar signal while using the tuner??? Can't figure this out within the tuner function button itself. Even using a volume pedal to control output volume doesn't seem to work as the tuner seems to be disconnecting volume output control by an external pedal.

How do you SILENCE the guitar signal while using the tuner??? Can't figure this out within the tuner function button itself. Even using a volume pedal to control output volume doesn't seem to work as the tuner seems to be disconnecting volume output control by an external pedal.
Setting in the AxeFx. Tuner->config->mute.

You do it on the Axe. It's a setting on the tuner page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you try a different cable? And could you post your saved configuration back up file for the LF. I want to see if the tuner works after I install your programming in my pedal, and also check a few things in your programming to see if something silly pops out at me that explains this.

Thanks

Does the template in the original post work? If using the XL there is one or two settings in the LF editor global pages that need to be changes from "Axe II" to "Axe XL". But with those changes everything should work if the Axe is set to factory defaults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it appears my tuner config does work, but the two-button box I made doesn't. Or at least the 12+ doesn't agree with it.

I moved the tuner button onto the 12+ button itself and the tuner worked fine.

Now to figure out why the second button on my box doesn't work. It switches the same button (13) as the other one does. It does consistently calibrate differently, but the 12+ doesn't read it right.

Just finishing my 1st frustrating day with the LF12+ I've been able to control the AxeFX2 ok with it, but can't get it to sync patch names or FX for some reason. I was using a 7pin MIDI cable to begin with but found I can only get the tuner to work with 2 5pin cables.
All this, even using the (very nice) template posted in this thread and following the Youtube step by step guide.
Running 14.02 on AF2 & 3.20 LF+
Help!

The tuner will sync with a single 5-pin cable. You don't need two cables. My JR+ is not here right now, but I know for a fact that it works with a single 5-pin cable because I have been doing it that way for a year or so. I am now using a 7-pin cable so I can power the JR+ with just one cable connected to the AxeII and the tuner function is working fine that way too.

Check these settings in the editor:

Global 2 page:
External Device Sync Items, Guitar Tuner = Axe-FX

I have IA Slot 60 set up for the Tuner.
IA Slot Page:
IA Slot Parameters:
Switch Type = QUICK-TAP
ON Command Programming:
Function = G-Tuner, CC# = 15

Last, I have IA Slot 60 assigned to a physical button on the Page edit menu:
Button Pressed and Trigger Type = Toggle & Trigger
Button Press Action = Immediate

Note that I have the button dedicated to turning the tuner on/off. I do not use a second function for that particular button.

Don't know if this makes any sense...

Yeah I get that, but my 5 pin cables are standard MIDI cables, they only have 3 pins connected so can't send in & out at the same time. I'm going back in there after a few strong coffees today ;0)

So after I shut down last night I fired off an email to FMAC around 11pm last night. Still couldn't get the tuner to work. Having sent in a support ticket on Sunday and not getting a response I was more than a little frustrated. Several of you have also been trying to help. I was surprised and happy to get an immediate response. Someone was burning the midnight oil. The emails have been going all day in an effort to get to the bottom of things. It has been determined, as of now, that it is the LF. It was suggested earlier in this thread to add a midi out cable from the Axe to the LF in an effort to see if the LF was receiving incoming midi messages or the Axe was sending. This was while the midi out of the LF was connected to the Axe midi in. Someone else posted that this was a no no. Well, FAMC told me to try it and sure enough the tuner worked and there were no other problems. I want to thank everyone for trying to help but it must go back. Not to get into details but this is the second unit I've had to send back at my expense. One day this will be a memory but I'm not a happy camper at the moment. Eventually I'll be able to help some newbie when they hit a rough patch with their new LF.

You're absolutely SURE you have the right midi cable? I was working with Jeff trying to troubleshoot mine for sometimes before I decided to go and get a brand new 7 pin cable, just to try it out. I was convinced that wasn't the problem. I was wrong. Having a 5 pin midi out would have also fixed it.

The tuner will sync with a single 5-pin cable. You don't need two cables. My JR+ is not here right now, but I know for a fact that it works with a single 5-pin cable because I have been doing it that way for a year or so. I am now using a 7-pin cable so I can power the JR+ with just one cable connected to the AxeII and the tuner function is working fine that way too.

Check these settings in the editor:

Global 2 page:
External Device Sync Items, Guitar Tuner = Axe-FX

I have IA Slot 60 set up for the Tuner.
IA Slot Page:
IA Slot Parameters:
Switch Type = QUICK-TAP
ON Command Programming:
Function = G-Tuner, CC# = 15

Last, I have IA Slot 60 assigned to a physical button on the Page edit menu:
Button Pressed and Trigger Type = Toggle & Trigger
Button Press Action = Immediate

Note that I have the button dedicated to turning the tuner on/off. I do not use a second function for that particular button.

Don't know if this makes any sense...

Jeff (LF creator) has said many times DO NOT use 2 midi cables. I'm sure he knows. He also told me this on the phone a while back
So I would go by what he says. I have never used the 7 pin with phamtom power but I do have one. So I may try that (I am studio only) to see if I have issues. Because with the single midi cable and the usb the LF+Jr+ works great for well over a year now

I have several 7 pin cables. Tried them all. Tuner never worked until I used a 5 pin from axe midi out to LF midi in, as I was told. Suddenly I had tuner working. I was told to do that to verify Axe midi out was eliminated as the problem. The LF apparently has an issue with the two way communication via 7 pin. Anyhow I expect to have a working LF when it's returned. I don't know if I was communicating directly with Jeff but that's what I was directed to do.

Back
Top Bottom