Dynaflanger - Dweezil and Frank Zappa?

I really wanna have another crack at this. I tried somewhat unsuccessfully about a year ago with my ultra. Can't wait to get my Axe II back from repair and have another go!

I can't open this.

PS: Power specifically as it pertains to MOTION...

Not sure why you can't open this but I have uploaded it again with a different name. Let me know if it works now.

Attachments

• Zappa Flangers.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 106
Not sure why you can't open this but I have uploaded it again with a different name. Let me know if it works now.

The attachment works now.
The sound is interesting. It's quite different from the real one though.

Some more direct tips:

The effect must be dynamic.
You can't really achieve left right stereo with two blocks in series.
Recheck my first hint.

My example was the Drowning Witch solo. Thanks for the tips. It is hard to copy that exact sound. But could you just post your version of the sound instead of only hints? ;) Not sure what you are trying to achieve with these vague hints.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are trying to achieve with these vague hints.

I'm pretty sure M@ is trying to "teach a man to fish" as they say and let us make some discoveries for ourselves in the process, rather than just giving away settings that both he and Dweezil most likely spent a lot of time and effort trying to perfect.

By making us at least attempt to build it from scratch, some of us who try will probably learn a thing or two by trial and error (like how to make a flanger out of a delay block) that we otherwise wouldn't if we had the instant gratification of the actual patch. Not that I'm opposed to the posting of the genuine article, of course... ;) Dweezil on the other hand might not be quite so eager for M@ to go posting his/FZ's signature sounds on the forum!

Hey, BIG points for this, it's a cool sound! Especially single note stuff...gonna keep messin' with it...any ideas on how/where to tweak to make it respond to your playing dynamics?

Hey Bodde, see what you think of this version...it's not there yet, but has the strong stereo separation needed to make this effect work...now we need to figure out how to get the ENV Modifier on the "right" parameter (which one?) so that the strings respond with more flange the harder you play...

Attachments

• DynaZappaFlange Modified.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 126
Thanks Austinbuddy. Tried it and it is a really cool sound. It is not the Zappa sound. But it is a very useful sound on it's own. Especially in combination with the wah. Love it!

I'm pretty sure M@ is trying to "teach a man to fish" as they say and let us make some discoveries for ourselves in the process, rather than just giving away settings that both he and Dweezil most likely spent a lot of time and effort trying to perfect.

By making us at least attempt to build it from scratch, some of us who try will probably learn a thing or two by trial and error (like how to make a flanger out of a delay block) that we otherwise wouldn't if we had the instant gratification of the actual patch. Not that I'm opposed to the posting of the genuine article, of course... ;) Dweezil on the other hand might not be quite so eager for M@ to go posting his/FZ's signature sounds on the forum!

That is a good point. Didn't know that M@ was connected to Dweezil somehow. The trial and error stuff makes sense of course. But the hints are too vague for me and not really helping me .

Last edited:
Thanks Austinbuddy. Tried it and it is a really cool sound. It is not the Zappa sound. But it is a very useful sound on it's own. Especially in combination with the wah. Love it!

That is a good point. Didn't know that M@ was connected to Dweezil somehow. The trial and error stuff makes sense of course. But the hints are too vague for me and not really helping me .

I agree, it's not the Zappa sound on many levels but some of the structure/elements ya need to get to the FZ sound is there -- and it's kind cool sound on its own!

Ok, I sat down and tried for a while. It's not there 100%. This is with only mild compression, and no further FX though, so I can only guess what might contribute outside the flanging. Have a listen and tell me what you think:

sorry for the clipping :?

Hey Bodde, see what you think of this version...it's not there yet, but has the strong stereo separation needed to make this effect work...now we need to figure out how to get the ENV Modifier on the "right" parameter (which one?) so that the strings respond with more flange the harder you play...

Can this patch work on an Ultra? I'd Like to muck around with this...

I think what Matt is getting at.

Flange effects comes from a very short modulating delay time + often feedback
The delay tome normally is modulated by an LFO, but it doesn't have to be.
It can be modulated manually with an external controller or
dynamically with an envelope, ADSR, pitch, etc.
So if you attached a modifier w/ source set to envelope (depth 0% so you don't get the LFO involved) and constrained its width to .26ms-6.4ms you could conceivably get one portion of one mode of the dynaflange.

Now getting the LPF, HPF modes will be a bit trickier.

Back
Top Bottom