Dynaflanger - Dweezil and Frank Zappa?

I have seen Dweezil's Video a couple of times and, yes, the Dynaflanger Presets for the Fractal Audio Units are amazing and I had a closer look at them. I still just would like to understand the whole thing in a more generell way.
So what is the best option in order to recreate what Frank Zappa did on his Shut up and play yer Guitar Album? Bonus Question: How exactly did it Frank Zappa when he recorded Shut up...? (What you find about it in terms of Zappa Quotes, the nice but not very concrete Zappa Gear Book etc. is only fragmentary information.)
This is just for the curious ;)

The basic signal chain that Frank used according to Dweezil should be like this:

Guitar goes into Wah Pedal then the signal goes into:
-> Amp 1 -> Out 1
- >Amp 2 -> Out 2
-> DI Signal -> Out 1 and/or Out 2?

Now we have a couple of options:
1.1: Dynaflanger on one Stereo Channel
-> Amp 1 -> Dynaflanger -> Out 1
- >Amp 2 -> Out 2
1.2: Dynaflanger on two Stereo Channels
- >Amp 2 -> Dynaflanger -> Out 2

2.1: Dynaflanger on One Stereo Channel + Phaser
- >Amp 2 -> Phaser -> Out 2

2.2: Dynaflanger on two Stereo Channels + Phaser
- >Amp 2 -> Phaser -> Dynaflanger -> Out 2

3.1: Dynaflanger on One Stereo Channel + Phaser + Wah
Wah-> Amp 1 -> Dynaflanger -> Out 1
Wah- >Amp 2 -> Phaser -> Out 2

Amp 2 -> Phaser -> Out 2

Amp 1 -> Dynaflanger -> Out 1
Wah->Amp 2 -> Phaser -> Out 2

3.2: Dynaflanger on two Stereo Channels + Phaser + Wah
Wah - >Amp 2 -> Phaser -> Dynaflanger -> Out 2

Amp 2 -> Phaser -> Dynaflanger -> Out 2

Amp 1 -> Dynaflanger -> Out 1
Wah - >Amp 2 -> Phaser -> Dynaflanger -> Out 2

So these are the routing options I see. Apart from that it remains unclear for me what happens with the DI Signal? Should it go into Out 1 or Out 2 or in both Channels of a Stereo Setup? I only know that Dweezil stresses the point that it was important for his father to add a DI Signal for more pick attack clarity which makes perfect sense because as nice as the Dynaflanger Effect it is a kind of a tightrope walk between having as much of this nice effect as possible while maintaining by putting the compressor behind it enough punchy attack.

I got the following answer from Meris on my silly questions:
I would start with any of those setups in the 2.1 or 3.1 channel. It sounds like certain effects are being turned off and on throughout the record (Shut up n play yer guitar) (including wah and phaser). For the DI track, you may consider recording that in the center. This way you have the stereo amp setup with per-side effects, and the center with a little DI signal mixed in for clarity. Of course this is all suggestion, I recommend exploring and trying out different pedal arrangements for whatever gets you closest to that sound.

But, wait, I also would like to know if Zappa was wearing red or white socks while he was recording this.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom