Dynaflanger - Dweezil and Frank Zappa?

Brutal! I didn't know DZ was charging $200 for his 300 axefx presets (and a CD)
Actually it was kicker starter/fund me campaign to raise funds for his solo album Via Zammata, the presets were one of the things you could get if you contributed. This was at Quantum 1 firmware — so awhile back.

Full_Lifted_1.jpg
what Dwezill does not say is that he uses a QUANTUM TIME MODULATOR for the detune she poses a sensivity for the attack of the pick for his dynaflanger
url

Full_Lifted_1.jpg
what Dwezill does not say is that he uses a QUANTUM TIME MODULATOR for the detune she poses a sensivity for the attack of the pick for his dynaflanger
url
Yes, some of the Presets in DZ’s pledgemusic pack were unsatisfyingly less than complete due to the everchanging stomps in his rack and board and configured for stereo Dual AxeFxes , and he was indeed deep into the pIgtronix FX, they were onsite sponsors of his Dweezilla music camp ,along with FAS , with @Admin M@, who brought scores of people (well me at least) into the Fractal fold from that event over the years...rumor has a possible return....?

listen to 43sec j plug Quantum Time Modulator so what do you think?

Very nice playing and a very nice sound! I also have the Time Modulator. Would you mind to share your settings? Are you using it in the way Dweezil recommends? Which would mean in mono on one side of a two amp stereo setup? I can also recommend you this video where a guy from Pigtronix shows his settings (see screenshot below) for the Shut up and play yer Guitar Sound. For me the settings on the screenshot work very good either with a clean or medium distorted sound. And I am using the Quantum as suggested by Dweezil only on one Channel. Well and you can ad to a certain degree an optional Van Halen Unchained Style Flanger to this.

shut up settings.jpg

Last edited:

This sounds really good and the Backing track in the style of Outside Now is a perfect choice for a demo of your dynaflanger tone. Did you use the Quantum Time Modulator for this? Did you use the Quantum on one of two stereo channels? What Amp (emulation)? Is a cocked Wah also involved or just a dynamic Wah. Well, from time to time I revisit pages about the Dynaflanger and in the meantime I have purchased the Quantum, but until now haven't reached exactly the Shut up and play yer guitar sound I am looking for, but I think I am getting close ;)

This sounds really good and the Backing track in the style of Outside Now is a perfect choice for a demo of your dynaflanger tone. Did you use the Quantum Time Modulator for this? Did you use the Quantum on one of two stereo channels? What Amp (emulation)? Is a cocked Wah also involved or just a dynamic Wah. Well, from time to time I revisit pages about the Dynaflanger and in the meantime I have purchased the Quantum, but until now haven't reached exactly the Shut up and play yer guitar sound I am looking for, but I think I am getting close ;)
This guy hasn’t posted since 2019, so I am guessing you are out of luck.

The AxeFx3 Dynaflanger Presets are amazing. I just would like to have the Dynaflanger also on my Pedalboard in a rather compact pedal form. I have been experimenting with the BubbleTron and the Quantum Time Modulator. They are both great, but I still have the impression that they don't nail it completely. In the future I will further investigate the possibilities of the Meris Polymoon which is supposed to be able to deliver the real thing. I can not confirm that until now because I didn't have enough time. I guess this is a lifelong journey...;) The flanging never stops.

I have spent quite a lot of time with Dweezil playing Frank's actual Dynaflangers. Whatever one might not imagine hearing or feeling in the Axe-Fx version, in my opinion it is not a critical part of the experience of the effect (from either side of the instrument). In fact, the originals can be more limited in some ways that make the recreation even more fun.

One thing that might interest you is that the envelope can be "tickled" in interesting ways if you use a real analog wah in front of the Axe-Fx. Because they are IN FRONT of the detector, analog drives or compressors (again: out front) make your playing less dynamic but do interesting things as well. Finally, when using FAS envelope detection these days, I often apply a little filtering (esp. Low Cut) to the Env. detector in the Axe-Fx, then set the threshold a little lower.

It would be cool to have some kind of a DETECTOR block so you could have envelope detection after delays.

Back
Top Bottom