Dynaflanger - Dweezil and Frank Zappa?

I will be attending a guitar clinic in Dallas that dweezil is hosting before the Zappa Plays Zappa concert on January 25. I will try to get some help on recreating the sound.

I think what Matt is getting at.

Flange effects comes from a very short modulating delay time + often feedback
The delay tome normally is modulated by an LFO, but it doesn't have to be.
It can be modulated manually with an external controller or
dynamically with an envelope, ADSR, pitch, etc.
So if you attached a modifier w/ source set to envelope (depth 0% so you don't get the LFO involved) and constrained its width to .26ms-6.4ms you could conceivably get one portion of one mode of the dynaflange.

Now getting the LPF, HPF modes will be a bit trickier.

Would the 2290/Mod Block work here as well, perhaps with more control?

Did anyone see this? They came close but don'y think they totally nailed the infamous Dynflange sound (from 4:00 and on). Nor did anyone on the Axe fx for that matter. Maybe in the meanwhile someone nailed it on the Axe?

On a side note: a few yrs back someone posted a video of Dwezzil in concert - had two Axe units in his rig...it was the THICKEST tone I've ever heard.

Hi everyone. New member here just picked up a second hand AFX2. Don't mean to derail too far, I was wondering if there are available for purchase any other complex multi-effects sound presets available aside from the more intricate stock presets? And are such patches possibly available either on axe change or maybe for sale somewhere? Looking for some really strange sounds, but cant afford any other FX units at this point.

I've read somewhere that Frank sometimes recorded his dynaflanged guitar through a little pignose amplifier that he placed inside a grand piano. Could be true, could be just another Zappa related urban legend, but should it be true, just think of all the mojo going on when those pianostrings started to viberate.

Anyway, looking forward to your new preset Swedish Chef, my attempts so far weren't even in the ballpark so to speak.

I've read somewhere that Frank sometimes recorded his dynaflanged guitar through a little pignose amplifier that he placed inside a grand piano. Could be true, could be just another Zappa related urban legend, but should it be true, just think of all the mojo going on when those pianostrings started to viberate.

Anyway, looking forward to your new preset Swedish Chef, my attempts so far weren't even in the ballpark so to speak.

Maybe he did that once. He used the pignose on some tracks. But that is not the sound we are talking about here. Also curious about the Chefs preset. Hopefully someone finally nails that sound!

Amen to that Bodde! And I know that's not the sound we're all aiming for here, I agree with you on that, in spite of the fact that some Zappaholic once assured me that this was the missing link when trying to recreate Frank's studiosound. Didn't fully believe it, liked the story though. But then again, I wasn't there.... I wish!

Nice sound Chef! willing to share the preset? Hard to get a grip on that sound exactly but this sure comes close :pride:

haven't read through the whole thread, but i did watch the dweezil gear rundown in that online guitar mag thingy. dynaflange doesn't seem to have anything to do with flange. i think you need to run a delay on one side and dry on the other and modulate the delay time from 0-100ms with envelope. dweezil also uses a wah in front of the axe and this causes the envelope to move more as the frequency of the wah moves around. unfortunately there isn't a way to mimic this in the axe (if you use the axe wah), because even though you could tie the external you use for wah to the depth of the envelope, there's no parameter available for that.
i would use two amps and cabs (panned hard left and right) with a delay block in front of one of them set to 100% mix. if you're short of cpu, then use one amp and cab, put a volume block after the cab panned one side and a delay block underneath that in a parallel row at 100% mix panned the other side. probably best to use the tape delay, because it will glide between pitches smoothly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom