Don't Overlook Smoothing

It would be awesome to have the opportunity to use smoothing as FM3 user. I can't find a way to download Cab Lab 3 anywhere and for me, it is currently not possible to use this feature which is sad as this feature seems to be really handy.
That's because it's a purchased product (unlike CabLab 4).

The best way to see what smoothing does is to open the align tab of the cab block. Keep that open on Axe-Edit while you adjust smoothing on the front panel.
You can see the impulse flatten but it doesn't really give you an idea what the effect is because the align tab is showing the IR in the temporal domain.

This is what an IR looks like in the frequency domain, grabbed from Cab-lab:
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 12.34.33.png

What smoothing would show, if Cab-lab had it, is all of the peaks and troughs becoming less prominent as smoothing is increased. I.e. smoothing the response in the frequency domain.

You could download the demo version of Cabinetron and use the smoothing in there - it shows in visual form what it does to the waveform.

I would also like to see smoothing in Cablab 4 or the FM3

We are still curious
If you want to hear the changes made by this option I remember seeing a Tom Quayle video where he demonstrate how he tweak his tone with the axe fx 3 and you can here a before/after smoothing.
And it seems to really helps achieving a more natural tone

That’s why I call for a in app purchase in cab lab 4.
We can buy cab packs so no reason we couldn’t buy this option.
That has absolutely nothing to do with Cab-Lab 3 being a purchased product in regards to why there's no where to download it.

I doubt very much that Fractal now leaves out this one feature of so many in CL just because its now gone to a different pricing scheme - there's likely some other reason. Anyway, would be nice to have it back in.
My reply was about not being able to find the download. Nothing to do with features...

Was trying to get an SRV tone today. Dialed up a Vibroverb, set Speaker Impedance to 2.0, etc. Selected on the 1x15 Vibroverb IRs. Wasn't doing it for me. Turned the smoothing up to around 7.5 IIRC and there it was. Mixed in another IR also w/ smoothing at 7.5 and had a blast.
Can you upload your preset and tell us what guitar you are using?

Back
Top Bottom