Does anyone use logic?

KyleUMF

Inspired
I just started using logic, old comp that had cubase crashed, anywho I run through a MacBook pro, I can't figure out why I can not pan a track 100 to left or right, I can only get it to pan like 64% to the left and I lose all sound when I pan to the right. What am I doing wrong lol

I've been a Logic user for years. It's not 64%. 64 is an arbitrary number Emagic/Apple chose to represent full pan to either side. Rest assured, 64 is full pan. If you're really concerned, use a Surround Mixer in the channel and put the sound exactly where you want it...

Ok that makes sense, I actually figured out my problem of panning tothe right channel, user error lol

Do you have any suggestions how to get the mix to be at a louder volume after it's bounced or when bouncing the track? When running playback through logic it sounds great, loud crisp and clean, not clipping but once it is bounced the volume decreases dramatically

i'm stumped as to why you get no sound when panning to the right. is this true of all your audio channels?

try something for me - create a new audio track. make sure it's stereo and the outputs show up correctly as "stereo" or "1+2"

drop in a loop from the loop browser and try panning left and right

let me know what you get

sim

Hey Simeon thanks for the help, I'm just an idiot haha, I am using monitors for the first time through my sapphire and realized inthe sapphire mixer that I had the two monitors only running through the left channel, when I ran without my sapphire and just headphones I could pan both ways fine.

I am still having a issue with bouncing though, when I have all my mixer levels basically maxed out without clipping then bounce the track my audiofile is super quiet, but through the main mix it's at a good volume,

if it's your final mix, you can use the adaptive limiter on the master out. set the out at -0.3db and the gain boost at about 2db

how are you listening to your final mixes? in itunes?

if it's your final mix, you can use the adaptive limiter on the master out. set the out at -0.3db and the gain boost at about 2db

how are you listening to your final mixes? in itunes?

Yeah my final mix, I put it through iTunes and a CD, sorry I am very new to logic, I will try to figure out the settings for the final mix and adjust them like you say, I usually just crank the master til almost clipping then just bounce it.

it's tough because you're not giving me enough information to troubleshoot. you say your mixes are quiet compared to your multitrack, but how are you comparing them? have you compared your mix to a commercial piece of music in itunes? don't forget that a bouncedown of a multitrack will always sound quiet to a commercial track that's been mastered. if you have the master level in logic maxed, then you're adding 6db, which won't be happening in itunes...
the settings in the bounce dialog will not affect the volume of your bounce. you need someone who is familiar with logic to sit down with you and show you what to do.

sim

I agree with simeon. Most likely because it's not mastered.

If you're not using any third party plugins in Logic, I'd be more than willing to check out the project (if you're not opposed to sending it to me) and see if the same happens to me when I bounce it...

64 is not an arbitary number they use.
Pan has a midi value and midi values need to add up to 128.
0 is all the way left, 128 is all the way right and 64 is in the middle.
It is just represented a -64 -> 0 -> +64 to make it visually easier to understand.
FYI.

That does make sense, but it would be just as easy for Apple to have used -100 -> 0 -> +100. Maybe not truly arbitrary, but still Apple's decision to present panning with those values.

64 is not an arbitary number they use.
Pan has a midi value and midi values need to add up to 128.
0 is all the way left, 128 is all the way right and 64 is in the middle.
It is just represented a -64 -> 0 -> +64 to make it visually easier to understand.
FYI.
I don't have Logic, but wouldn't the pan values need to range from -64 to +63 to maintain 128 values?

Just recently HAD to start using Logic for school. My frame of reference is Pro Tools, so that's what makes sense to me and that's what I'm comfortable in. I really thought that Logic would be a lot easier to deal with than it has been so far. For some reason, Logic doesn't seem very...logical. Just my 2 cents.

Do you have any suggestions how to get the mix to be at a louder volume after it's bounced or when bouncing the track? When running playback through logic it sounds great, loud crisp and clean, not clipping but once it is bounced the volume decreases dramatically

In the Bounce dialogue, check the box "normalize". This will make the loudest sound in your track to be 0dB. That's the first step. If you still want extra "loudness", then what Simeon suggested works great. Use the Adaptive Limiter on your output channel.

Just recently HAD to start using Logic for school. My frame of reference is Pro Tools, so that's what makes sense to me and that's what I'm comfortable in. I really thought that Logic would be a lot easier to deal with than it has been so far. For some reason, Logic doesn't seem very...logical. Just my 2 cents.

It takes a while to convert form one program to another.
FWIW, I started with Logic and then had to learn Protools when I lived in the US.
It took me about a year to get really comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom