Does anybody *not* like the Atomic CLR?

Is it even possible to buy a new CLR anymore? They’ve been out of stock for ages.
Yeah. Kinda spent out at the moment anyway with the III, but I do wish I had a pair of Neos.

Haven't seen anything from Atomic say when they're expected. Has anyone? Any idea what's going on?

Still jamming on my CLR that was probably the first run over 6 years ago.
I used to chase after the next best FRFR candidate that peeps would review here UNTIL i met the CLR

Today's marketplace demands more accommodation, and less attitude, from the seller than either Tom or Jay seem to be willing to provide. Just because Dumble got away with such behaviors....

Reactions: Ole
Today's marketplace demands more accommodation, and less attitude, from the seller than either Tom or Jay seem to be willing to provide. Just because Dumble got away with such behaviors....
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Jay is an independent contractor who designed the CLR. Other than that, he has nothing to do with Atomic Amps. I've talked to Tom a couple of times & he is a really nice guy. Atomic is a very small company & at times, seems to get overwhelmed & doesn't respond as fast as people would like but it has nothing to do with "attitude".
As far as the CLR's availability, Tom posted on TGP a while back that they are having the same issue with world wide parts shortages as everyone else.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28837107/

As far as the CLR's themselves go, I love mine. I've had the originals, had them upgraded to the original Neos & now have 2 Neo MKIIIs. They do exactly what they were designed to do, give you loud, a clear, accurate representation of what your modeler is putting out.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Jay is an independent contractor who designed the CLR. Other than that, he has nothing to do with Atomic Amps. I've talked to Tom a couple of times & he is a really nice guy. Atomic is a very small company & at times, seems to get overwhelmed & doesn't respond as fast as people would like but it has nothing to do with "attitude".
As far as the CLR's availability, Tom posted on TGP a while back that they are having the same issue with world wide parts shortages as everyone else.
As far as the CLR's themselves go, I love mine. I've had the originals, had them upgraded to the original Neos & now have 2 Neo MKIIIs. They do exactly what they were designed to do, give you loud, a clear, accurate representation of what your modeler is putting out.

I hope you never need service, because I am sure your attitude will change if you do.

Last edited:
All due respect to Tom and Atomic, but I haven't noticed other manufacturers having anywhere near the same level of difficulty delivering their powered cabs. Maybe Atomic uses different materials, or sources them differently, who knows.

Of course I assume they're doing the best they can within their unique set of constraints, which we know nothing about, it's just a shame is all.

I have needed service. That's when I talked to Tom! No attitude, just stating facts.

Edit: Issue reported Dec 9th: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29630129/
Relpy from Atomic Dec 9th: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29630386/
I guess that's not fast enough service for you???

My interactions with him, and those of others I know personally, have not been nearly this accommodating. Perhaps you got him on a good day, this is not the norm from what I've read, seen or experienced.

It is should be noted, you called your issue out on a public forum, you did not start with their private customer service email.

My interactions with him, and those of others I know personally, have not been nearly this accommodating. Perhaps you got him on a good day, this is not the norm from what I've read, seen or experienced.

It is should be noted, you called your issue out on a public forum, you did not start with their private customer service email.
I only know what I have experienced & I also found a random recent posting that shows they do try & support their customers.

All due respect to Tom and Atomic, but I haven't noticed other manufacturers having anywhere near the same level of difficulty delivering their powered cabs. Maybe Atomic uses different materials, or sources them differently, who knows.

Of course I assume they're doing the best they can within their unique set of constraints, which we know nothing about, it's just a shame is all.
I'm sure there is no one more bummed out about the situation than Tom.

The amp module went out on one of my CLRs just past the warranty period a couple of years ago. Contacted Tom, and he replaced the module at no charge! I know there are stories to the contrary, but he sure took care of my issue no questions asked. Hope they get going again on the CLRs!

Last edited:
Have read posts in threads complaining about the customer service of Tom and Atomic. My experiences dealing with him has been nothing but excellent. I have contacted him several times through emails to Atomic and by posting here. Every time I have been contacted within a couple days where my questions and/or concerns were dealt with.

I refer friends and acquaintances all the time to Atomic and the CLR. None have complained about the service they received. Perhaps the Odds Gods were in our favor and we all caught Tom on a good day. :)

As I say in the OP, I've already got one. But I've never really loved it. Wondering if it was just me. Apparently it is.

Sorry. I didn’t mean to hijack your thread. I guess I was thinking out loud about how the CLR isn’t being produced anymore, and I was wondering if it was because people weren’t buying it, reducing demand. I thought maybe people were purchasing a more popular option.

My experience with the non neo (I bought a pair back in 2013) CLR's is ---> They were the best FRFR in the price range at the time of purchase (2013). I've used them as monitors, backline, FoH, mixing in studio, reference comparisons, and even just casual entertainment listening.

After about 300 hours of use though, One of them developed a "ring," and it was out of warranty as they only come with a one year.

Initial contact through email support with Tom was punctual, and he agreed to replace the amp module for no charge, all I had to do was ship it to him. I did, and then a long time went by (I can't recall exactly, so I won't exaggerate but I think it was about 2 months) with no communication, and no response to my email inquiries or phone calls, so after reading others experiences whom had the same thing happen, I had to post on the forums and complain in order to get a response from him as others had done, and it worked. He called me right away and requested I take down my post off the forums, as he was in the process of shipping the new amp module to me. While that's great, left a bad taste in my mouth that I had sent several emails and called their number with no response, but a single post on the forums complaining about it got his attention within 24 hours.

Sadly, not all was good, problem is that new module's volume pot is not the same as the original or something as when both CLR's are at any volume other than full, one is putting out more than the other so it's very difficult to get unity gain in stereo now. Seems to be ok when both are on max volume, but then there is a very noticeable hiss, which ok for gigs, but no longer can I use these in a stereo setup for reference, and no longer can I be sure that the output is the same on both.

other than that, they still perform and sound fantastic.

Reactions: ESW
The design of the speaker and the sound it produces is outstanding. I have 2 and they are as good as it gets. (I also have RCF, XiTone, JBL, JTR, QSC, Equator, Fluid Audio, Mackie and Yamaha speakers). I have a bunch and love a bunch. CLRs are at the top of the list.

But support from Atomic can vary. That is the only reason I can see that these speakers didn't take over the SOS (speaker on a stick) market.
My dealings with Tom (I had an issue with my CLR) was excellent. We went back and forth (shipping to and from) multiple times, until the problem was resolved. That being said - you must have 'some' level of tolerance. When a Yamaha goes bad (which it has), you can bring it to one of many service centers, and they swap the bad part within a couple of days. With Atomic, the support will never be that convenient. That is the only downfall.
You may have a great service experience....or you may have to wait (which some will consider sup par service).

I just bought a pair of lightly used mk1's. I have not played them through the Axe-Fx III yet, but I was putting them thru the paces today with recorded reference material and holy shit do they sound flat, clear, and loud. Extremely low noise.

Just wondering if you have it set up correctly? Meaning the mode switch is set appropriately, your presets are set up for FRFR, and you’ve got your gain staging dialed in the @chris way? These things are subtle but important variables that can make or break the whole experience.

I’ve had one Neo for two years, it sounds great and I’m on the waiting list for a second one. Atomic sent me the following update email on Dec 19th, so hopefully more parts coming in soon...

The last ETA I received was “by the end of the year.”
It seems unlikely now considering the date.
My best guess is after NAMM.
Late January, early February.
I’m so sorry for the long wait.

Back
Top Bottom