Do you use stock or user cabs more?

Do you use the stock cabs or user IR's more?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
javajunkie said:
Accusations and assumptions about both parties motives is really just futile. The best one can do is try keep his/her side of the street clean.

I gotta agree.

My most frequently used cabs are two stock cabs, 4x12 German and 2x12 Brit, and one IR I have loaded into user slot 2. I don't even remember where I found that one...

Cliff:

Since this guy originally put up the V30 impulse to be used by the masses and is only upset that it was included as part of the Axe FX's firmware, could you please possibly put up the exact IR that's in the Axe FX so we that like it (and there seems to be a lot of us, despite how it was created) can download it as a user cab? I don't see anything that would be wrong with doing that. I really don't want to loose this cab sim. If you don't want to do that, could you PM it to me and to any of us that want it (or just me and I can host it)?

Same goes for any of the other stock cabs that are "his" or someone else's that might be going bye bye.

Thanks.

Agreed said:
He mentioned two others that are also drawn from users of G.A.M., I believe one was a Mesa IR of his as well.

He has no problem with any AxeFX user uploading them on their own to the AxeFX, he just doesn't want them incorporated into the firmware. I think it is really that he's offended that the whole thing happened, maybe when this topic cools and all "wounds" heal some arrangement could be made. I don't know. He has allowed his IRs to be used before, once in a free cab sim plugin by the amazing Aradaz, and once in TH1 from Overloud (who sought his permission explicitly beforehand, which I think is the key issue here - Cliff couldn't have known to seek permission to use them because he didn't know they were Alu's, but that is Alu's objection, Cliff should know where his IRs are coming from if he's going to make them part of the product). I don't think Cliff meant any harm, and I said that over there too, although this latest track is a little bit silly in my opinion, especially suggesting that he's reversed the firmware in violation of the DMCA for a competitor. That's over the top and there isn't any evidence of it at all.
Yeah, that is over the top.

However, what Cliff actually wrote was not an accusation that Alu violated the DCMA,

FractalAudio said:
If he is reverse engineering the firmware he is in direct violation of the DMCA.

That statement is a causal conditional, If Y, then X.

I think someone may have misread what Cliff actually wrote and then expressed that misrepresentation. I would like to see that addressed and corrected.

If further misrepresentations can be avoided, I do think that things will cool.

This thread and the G.A.M thread have exposed me to methodologies and processes I was not aware existed.

The research, discovery, innovation, and creativity that we all value will continue to develop. It will be fruitful and it will multiply.

goodwill559 said:
Agreed said:
He mentioned two others that are also drawn from users of G.A.M., I believe one was a Mesa IR of his as well.

He has no problem with any AxeFX user uploading them on their own to the AxeFX, he just doesn't want them incorporated into the firmware. I think it is really that he's offended that the whole thing happened, maybe when this topic cools and all "wounds" heal some arrangement could be made. I don't know. He has allowed his IRs to be used before, once in a free cab sim plugin by the amazing Aradaz, and once in TH1 from Overloud (who sought his permission explicitly beforehand, which I think is the key issue here - Cliff couldn't have known to seek permission to use them because he didn't know they were Alu's, but that is Alu's objection, Cliff should know where his IRs are coming from if he's going to make them part of the product). I don't think Cliff meant any harm, and I said that over there too, although this latest track is a little bit silly in my opinion, especially suggesting that he's reversed the firmware in violation of the DMCA for a competitor. That's over the top and there isn't any evidence of it at all.
Yeah, that is over the top.

However, what Cliff actually wrote was not an accusation that Alu violated the DCMA,

FractalAudio said:
If he is reverse engineering the firmware he is in direct violation of the DMCA.

That statement is a causal conditional, If Y, then X.

I think someone may have misread what Cliff actually wrote and then expressed that misrepresentation. I would like to see that addressed and corrected.

If further misrepresentations can be avoided, I do think that things will cool.

This thread and the G.A.M thread have exposed me to methodologies and I was not aware existed.

The research, discovery, innovation, and creativity that we all value will continue to develop. It will be fruitful and it will multiply.

Psst: I posted virtually the exact same causal conditional question. I didn't 'accuse' anyone of anything.

I've not stepped over any bounds other than to ask things directly and calmly. I like straight questions and straight answers. I'm not afraid to ask them at the source ... and not afraid to answer them when I'm asked.

That's not playing loyal fanboy antagonist as its assumed I am. I just want to know.

shredi knight said:
Cliff:

Since this guy originally put up the V30 impulse to be used by the masses and is only upset that it was included as part of the Axe FX's firmware, could you please possibly put up the exact IR that's in the Axe FX so we that like it (and there seems to be a lot of us, despite how it was created) can download it as a user cab? I don't see anything that would be wrong with doing that. I really don't want to loose this cab sim. If you don't want to do that, could you PM it to me and to any of us that want it (or just me and I can host it)?

Same goes for any of the other stock cabs that are "his" or someone else's that might be going bye bye.

Thanks.

+1. In a BEGGING POSTURE HERE. I don't know what I'll do without the recto2 cab. It honestly makes the Axe-Fx work for me.

Regardless of whether it's accurate or 'real' or whatever. To my ears the Recto2 (and V30 for that matter) are the rare cab sims that don't have serious 'notchy' issues in the upper mids requiring corrective eq. Exactly the reason I inquired months ago about a 'more linear' way of creating IR's. Jay, you're a shining resource on this forum and others, I always get something from your posts and deeply appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I'm gonna preemptively reply that I don't care how accurate those IRs are. If loving them is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :mrgreen:

squealie said:
I'm gonna preemptively reply that I don't care how accurate those IRs are. If loving them is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :mrgreen:
That's why they have user IR spots in the Axe-Fx. I've already made a V30 IR available. Later today, I'll do a .syx conversion of th Recto one.

You guys really could do all this for yourself.

First, download the IR pack here: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewto ... 5416727e16

Next, unzip the IRs you want.

Then, convert the sample rate to 48kZ. Most PC-based recording software has this capability.

Then, use AlBerta's utility (http://guitarlogic.org/index.php?topic=6630.0) to create IR files that you can upload to the Axe-Fx.

Finally, use the PC Editor to upload your user IRs to your Axe-Fx.

Jay Mitchell said:
That's why they have user IR spots in the Axe-Fx. I've already made a V30 IR available. Later today, I'll do a .syx conversion of th Recto one.

You guys really could do all this for yourself...

Thank you so much for making those available. And, I will take your advice about doing for myself. When it comes to something as 'picky' as cab IRs...I tend to sweat about things like sample-rate-conversion and other gotchas in the digital realm. Anti-aliasing math and whatnot, potentially, can wreck something like this...no?

squealie said:
Jay Mitchell said:

You guys really could do all this for yourself...

Thank you so much for making those available. And, I will take your advice about doing for myself. When it comes to something as 'picky' as cab IRs...I tend to sweat about things like sample-rate-conversion and other gotchas in the digital realm. Anti-aliasing math and whatnot, potentially, can wreck something like this...no?

r8brain, the sampling rate conversion is very good:
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

This thread has convinced me to get better taste in IRs :)
I want something that's realistic, even when my ears deceive me like this time :!:

I think Alu implied that a friend of his may have obtained the IR from the Axe-Fx.

Alu said:
Just to explain: why I've decided to check the Axe-Fx IRs?
Just out of curiosity, I've checked the Axe-Fx cabs from the wiki and I've seen a Framus based one... I thought it was strange, since my Framus IR was the only Framus IR available and I knew that there was a thread on the Axe-Fx forum, where all the IRs available on the net were available for download. I've decided to check that IR, so I've asked a little favour to a friend.
Sadly I've discovered that the IR was mine, as I was expecting.
End of the story.

Hope this clarifies everything...

Original posting: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?p=30742#p30742

He probably ask a friend to share his Axe-Fx to make a record.
He didn't make IRs by ears. :roll:

You are right..but he didn't make it by ears.
He process a record of a guitar tone in a complex manner.

bmi said:
Seems he makes "Framous IR" with it.
I can produce an IR out of thin air - indeed, have done precisely that - which comes much closer to what a real speaker does than that one. It's not worth the trouble, however. Properly testing real speakers always produces more authentic results. You should study up on the subject and try it some time.

Jay Mitchell said:
bmi said:
Seems he makes "Framous IR" with it.
I can produce an IR out of thin air - indeed, have done precisely that - which comes much closer to what a real speaker does than that one. It's not worth the trouble, however. Properly testing real speakers always produces more authentic results. You should study up on the subject and try it some time.

I don't think you're the arbiter of tone, and I and others quite like his IRs, despite having access to a very, very large number of them made in the usual way.

To put it another way, using a real amp instead of the model of it in an AxeFX unit always produces more authentic results. However that shouldn't be taken to mean that some might not legitimately prefer the latter.

snacks.gif

Clawfinger said:

I'm not belittling his contribution to the AxeFX community, certainly plenty of people are loving his IRs, but to suggest that there's just something inherently bad about Alu's IRs, that his method is garbage, etc., and that people ought to understand that only his method can produce good results is self-refuting by the simple fact that people here and elsewhere like Alu's results and are wondering how they can continue to use his quality cabs now that this unfortunate set of events has happened. He's basically saying "no, your ears are wrong, educate yourself and you'll hear right." The same criticism has been leveled at modeling in general, in much the same language, but I doubt any are moved by it... Folks have a right to prefer what they prefer, and some prefer his IRs, regardless of how they were made, so this business of "learn more about it and you'll appreciate the truth" is nonsense, as though someone could simply be talked out of their phenomenological experience. Arguing against subjective preference won't get you very far, however wrong you personally feel it to be - methodologically, tonally, or otherwise.

Agreed said:
To put it another way, using a real amp instead of the model of it in an AxeFX unit always produces more authentic results. However that shouldn't be taken to mean that some might not legitimately prefer the latter.
This is a good point, and one that's been made previously on this topic. From an artistic point of view, if one likes the sound of the end result, it may not matter whether the IR was acquired from authentic, original equipment using laboratory measurement standards, or if the IR was acquired by farting into a mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom