Do you use stock or user cabs more?

Do you use the stock cabs or user IR's more?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dk_ace

Experienced
I've never really used IRs since 6.0 (I think that was it), but lately I see a lot more people mentioning User IRs again. I'm curious to see what most of you guys are using.

D

dk_ace said:
I've never really used IRs since 6.0 (I think that was it), but lately I see a lot more people mentioning User IRs again. I'm curious to see what most of you guys are using.

D

100% User IR's. Matter of taste, and the fact that I have a studio with several mikes and cabs...

Clawfinger said:
dk_ace said:

D

100% User IR's. Matter of taste, and the fact that I have a studio with several mikes and cabs...
Hmm, just wondering ClawFinger... did you ever intend to generate some far-mic'ed IRs at some point in time? <hint-hint>

Dpoirier said:
Clawfinger said:
dk_ace said:

D

Hmm, just wondering ClawFinger... did you ever intend to generate some far-mic'ed IRs at some point in time? <hint-hint>

Maybe one day, but it would sound just as usual, so.... ;D

The thing about IR's is...IMO...it is nearly as critical as which amp sim you choose.

The IR makes such a HUGE difference in tone and feel of the patch.

I do like a few of Cliff's stock IR's...I don't want to give the impression they are sub par or anything....the ones I like are great and I am sure most of the others have their own fans, but having custom IR's is such a huge benefit and being able to pair up each sim with a specific speaker IR is crucial to many of my patches.

If I could figure out when to use IR's, and when not to, without 4 weeks of trial and error, I might.

But I get great tone nonetheless, so...so far not worth my time.

Always user cabs because i'm looking for more clarity in the sound. I probably should give a new chance to stock cabs.

bmi said:
Always user cabs because i'm looking for more clarity in the sound.

That's the money quote. To my ear, the Axe IRs, almost without exception, give me that boxed in, blanket-over-speaker effect. The change Jay's Eminence IR gave to my Fender patches for example has been dramatic to say the least.

The ability to upload user IRs (a planned future update at the time) was an essential element in my decision to purchase an Axe-Fx. I exclusively use IRs I have acquired myself, not just because to my ears they sound better, but because they are completely known to me in every way: the equipment used to acquire them, the environment in which they were acquired, the postprocessing to which they have been subjected (none in most cases) and how the original speakers sound. This enables me to eliminate one huge set of variables (among many) from the tuning process.

For my crunchy tones, the stock Recto2 cab is the only cab-model I can count on. It takes a good bit of effort to tame the wild low end....but the 'voicing' sounds right to me. I also mix in Jay's 2x12 for some 'realism' and 'rattle'.

The OCEAN of IRs out there now, is an enormous time sink. The feature is brilliant. But it's discouraging to go through the process of finding the ones that work for me.

Jay Mitchell said:
(...snip...) This enables me to eliminate one huge set of variables (among many) from the tuning process.

Great point Jay.

IMHO, This is a very important factor in getting the most out of the Axe-Fx or any rig. You need to know what you know and know it well in order to effectively change variables to reach sonic goals.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I was using user cabs a lot before the firmware update that scrambled them. I didn't remember what I was using and ended up making do with stock stuff. I've been able to get by fine, but I'm curious what I might be missing. I really love the 212 gold that got added. This got me thinking that I could be missing something, so I'm considering playing with them some more. There are so many available now that it gets overwhelming though.

D

hideous said:
Always the stock one. V30 is the one I use most, for my taste is the best one I've tried so far.
ditto.
i'd use user IRs more if i had my computer hooked up more often.

AlbertA said:
hideous said:
Always the stock one. V30 is the one I use most, for my taste is the best one I've tried so far.

That will be gone from the firmware. The author asked for it to be removed.
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewto ... 125#p29200
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewto ... 150#p30364

Well that freaking sucks. The 4x12 V30 was my favorite cab too. :(

Does anyone know where a link to the original impulse can be found so I can load it as a user cab? Is it one of the gazillion cab IRs that are in the sticky "Impulse Response Collection" thread at the top of the forum?

I think I read somewhere that the latest cabs would be credited in the manual. A delay in due credits perhaps? Who knows.
Shame that the author got offended about that, but not the end of the world if it gets removed. I'm sure some workarounds can be accommodated.

Off topic slightly, all of the IR cabs I've tried have a "tunnel" kind of sound, through my direct setup.
V30 one sounded the most realistic to me - on the headphones direct-in.

The 4x12 V30 is my favorite as well...that blows. heck, I won't upgrade my firmware if that one is going away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom