Do you use stock or user cabs more?

Do you use the stock cabs or user IR's more?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed said:
I don't think you're the arbiter of tone,
Straw man here. You're attempting to refute an assertion that I never made.

and I and others quite like his IRs,
Good.

To put it another way, using a real amp instead of the model of it in an AxeFX unit always produces more authentic results.
To put this another way, it's called a cab block for a reason. As an Axe-Fx purchaser, one could reasonably expect that a factory sim labeled "4x12 V30" actually had something to do with a 4x12 speaker cabinet loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s.

User IR slots are there for a reason. If you want to use a recording of a fart in a user IR slot, you're welcome. However, when the factory manual describes the sim as "A “vintage” 4x12 30W cabinet model," my interpretation of that assertion - and apparently Cliff's as well - is that there was an actual 4x12 cabinet involved in the creation of the IR. Regardless of how "good" that IR may sound to your ears, you can't make an argument that it is a reasonable simulation of the sound of that cabinet. Hell, you may well like the IR better than the sound of the real cabinet. It is not an IR of a Framus cab loaded with V30s, however, it is the result of someone's tinkering around with data that looks sort of like an IR to make it sound - to their ears - sort of like that cab. The filenames used by Alu are actually quite misleading. Given all his lip service to ethics and honesty, he should at least name them consistent with how they were generated, e.g., "Alu's interpretation of a Framus 4x12."

I don't understand why anyone would get so upset about something that, first off, Cliff gave away for free, and made no profit off of, and second off, is just a simple measurement?

BTW, how does this guy know if these IR's are even his for a fact?

Is there no chance in the world that two IR's made by two different people with similar equipment could make two IR's that are near enough to sound the same, AND measure the same?

Also I'd like to again bring up the fact that for this guy to even have suspicion that this was his IR, that he either had one, and did something illegal himself to find out, or someone started a rumor, and it got back to him.

Either way, I think this is all kind of stupid. Especially since Cliff said he'd fix it, even though I highly doubt that there is 100% proof that this IR belongs to anyone.

...I wonder if the audience can tell if it is an interpretation or simply an interpretation of an interpretation...
:p

...if a bear craps in the woods and no one hears it, did it make a brown sound?

...wtf? :twisted:

Guitar-Tiz said:

Especially when the two IRs posted in this thread of the supposed original one do not sound like the one that's in the Axe FX (or as good IMO).

It would really save some headaches and make a lot of us happy if Cliff could put up files of the IRs that he plans on removing from the firmware so we can have them as user cabs.

shredi knight said:
It would really save some headaches and make a lot of us happy if Cliff could put up files of the IRs that he plans on removing from the firmware so we can have them as user cabs.
+1
...end of discussion.

I have revisited some user ir's. You cant just pop them in and expect a Wow factor.
Jay's and some Vox ones recently seemed to have possibilities.
With so many tone options and variables I seem to spend more time tweaking rather than recording something meaningful.
So I stick to stock cabs that start out good.

I want to download Curve EQ to play with some. Curve stealing?.

Basically ir's are like a type of eq curve. Can they be patented? Ask Gene Simmons.
DNA structures will be someday.
Scary.....

http://www.duaneramelot.com

Wow this got all crazy on both forums. I wonder how different it all would have gone if Alu contacted Cliff and awaited a response prior to posting? http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewto ... 125#p29200

We all probably would have been playing more instead of reading, writing, arguing the same points over and over. Oh well. Gotta love the internet. :lol:

We'll all get over it eventually and move on to the next thing.

shredi knight said:
[quote="Guitar-Tiz":milv5xyd]

Especially when the two IRs posted in this thread of the supposed original one do not sound like the one that's in the Axe FX (or as good IMO).

It would really save some headaches and make a lot of us happy if Cliff could put up files of the IRs that he plans on removing from the firmware so we can have them as user cabs.[/quote:milv5xyd]

And how exactly would that be different from putting them on the firmware in the first place? Cliff would still be offering it....

AlbertA said:
shredi knight said:
[quote="Guitar-Tiz":1fx452k4]

And how exactly would that be different from putting them on the firmware in the first place? Cliff would still be offering it....[/quote:1fx452k4]

I'm glad you mentioned this. Alu has said repeatedly he has no problem with AxeFX users using them, but as it is his IP he wants it to be distributed only from GuitarAmpModeling in that thread. You're still totally welcome to use them in your AxeFX, you just need to download them from this thread at GAM instead. It looks like they were EQ'd somewhat so they probably won't sound identical, but the EQ that was done could easily be replicated with AxeFX's powerful EQ options.

I agree with the poster above who mentions that things got out of hand... I personally try to take very little on the internet too seriously, I certainly mean no ill will to Jay or Scott or anyone else, I said at G.A.M. that disagreements often find us at our worst, but sometimes issues have to be worked out and confrontation can't be avoided. That doesn't mean we can't be friendly afterward - consider the olive branch extended, so to speak, to anyone who was offended by my remarks.

Another point of confusion for me is, why exactly was this guy mad at Cliff?

What exactly did Cliff do wrong?

Weren't the IR's offered free to anyone to begin with?

What's this guys REAL beef?

Personally, I would think it was an honor if someone thought my FREE IR was good enough to be used in a professional product. Even if I didn't like the product.

In fact, if it would have been me, I'd have called up Cliff and said thanks for the free press, you want some more?

But what do I know. I guess my wife is wrong, and I'm not an asshole. :D

I think initially Alu was mad at Cliff because it appeared that Cliff had intentionally done it. It became apparent that Cliff didn't actually mean to do anything wrong and certainly hadn't intentionally done anything to Alu, he just included some IRs from an online "free" collection that happened to be violating some usage terms for Alu's stuff and possibly for others'. Alu sort of stayed mad after that, though, which I think was more a product of his initial anger than any rational process past that point. To my view Cliff's doing the right thing and that's really that, there's not much more you could expect given that no tangible damages were incurred and he acted in good faith.

-<MACHINE>- slips in under the radar....

Wherever there is controversy :lol: ...kinda late showing up this time though?

BTW...this excerpt from the dictionary def. of hostile..."having or showing ill will; unfriendly; antagonistic" sure seem to fit the accused

Just sayin'

Hope you get your Axe-Fx soon.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-<MACHINE>- disappears off the grid... :cool:

Agreed said:
Alu has said repeatedly he has no problem with AxeFX users using them, but as it is his IP he wants it to be distributed only from GuitarAmpModeling in that thread.

Whether or not it is "IP" is questionable. I think the consensus was that it is in a gray area between merely measuring a speaker vs. doing something creative enough to lift it to the level of copyright protection. The consensus is that we cannot affirmatively state whether it is IP or not in a manner that would be supported by our legal system.

I should know. I asked an IP attorney. :p

It would be a fun issue if people weren't arguing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom