Do you use stock or user cabs more?

Do you use the stock cabs or user IR's more?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
goodwill559 said:
mortega76 said:
can anyone post a usable sysex file for us to use? Is the v30 in the impulse pack?

Here's what I came up with after converting the .wav file sample rate from 44.1kHz to 48kHz using r8brain, then into .syx using AlbertAxe's utility.

http://home.comcast.net/~goodwill559/Fr ... 01_r8b.syx
awesome!!! Thanks!!!

Cliff, was the original this small? How does it sound? I'm on my phone at my parents. The Framus is the only cab I use as well... It seems to be the one that deadens the sound the least of all the stock cabs.

goodwill559 said:
mortega76 said:
can anyone post a usable sysex file for us to use? Is the v30 in the impulse pack?

Here's what I came up with after converting the .wav file sample rate from 44.1kHz to 48kHz using r8brain, then into .syx using AlbertAxe's utility.

http://home.comcast.net/~goodwill559/Fr ... 01_r8b.syx

Thanks for the effort (I been trying to convert the Wave file with no luck), but it doesn't sound the same.

The one in the Axe FX has more low end and punch too it, plus the Framus one is a little brighter (of maybe it just seems brighter because of the lack of low end). In any case, I doesn't sound as good as the Axe FX's stock V30 cab to my ears.

Are we sure the Framus V30 4x12 impulse is the correct one?

I don't know if the Framus V30 4x12 impulse corresponds to the "V30" found in the Axe-Fx because I don't use that cab normally, and I didn't try out the Framus V30 impulse after converting it, so...

From Alu's IR pack, I auditioned impulses from the folders containing the Mesa Oversized, Mesa Trad, and Engl Pro and IMHO, through my headphone setup (Axe-Fx -> Symetrix 304 -> AKG 240 studio) all his IR's tended to be crunchy but lacking low end and punch. I kept a total of two cabs from the entire download.

Overall, I can't say that I was really very impressed, but truthfully, I do consider finding two useful impulses out of dozens to be the norm.

Don't know if I'm just really picky or if there is just a lot of junk out there to sift through before finding gold.

Could be an issue with posting his .wav files here :? :roll:

From a technical standpoint, you experts think the IR isn't very good?
Interesting.

As for the quality of the IR, I'm new to IR's and certainly no expert, and I am only expressing my opinion that many of them were not turning me on.

I'm very curious to read Shredi's impression of Jay's conversion of the IR as compared to both mine and the Axe-Fx conversions, and if Jay has the time to express the particular methods/tools he used to produce the .syx file he posted, I'd really be interested in reading it.

hideous said:
From a technical standpoint, you experts think the IR isn't very good?
Interesting.
It's got some definite issues. I would not count on it being a good representaton of the sound of the speaker.

Another item worthy of note: All of his IRs were taken using a (yecch) SM57. That means that there's already a mic IR embedded in what you would expect to be an IR of the speaker only. That's fine if you know it going in, but it's kind of disappointing to discover that one or more of the factory IRs were acquired with non-reference mics.

goodwill559 said:
I'm very curious to read Shredi's impression of Jay's conversion of the IR as compared to both mine and the Axe-Fx conversions, and if Jay has the time to express the particular methods/tools he used to produce the .syx file he posted, I'd really be interested in reading it.
I used CoolEdit Pro 2.0 (now Adobe Audition) for the SR conversion, then AlBerta's IR converter to create the .syx file. No other processing of the IR.

Jay Mitchell said:
goodwill559 said:
I used CoolEdit Pro 2.0 (now Adobe Audition) for the SR conversion, then AlBerta's IR converter to create the .syx file. No other processing of the IR.

The settings I used with r8brain besides 44.1kHz to 48kHz SR conversion were "output bit depth: 24 bit" and "quality: very high."

Are the differences between CoolEdit 2.0 and r8brain 1.9 sufficient to account for the differences in the .syx?

goodwill559 said:
Are the differences between CoolEdit 2.0 and r8brain 1.9 sufficient to account for the differences in the .syx?
I have no idea. The quality of SR conversion routines is highly variable, and I have always gotten good results with CoolEdit's conversions.

shredi knight said:
hideous said:
Jay Mitchell":16eebo6h]Try this one: [url="http://jay-mitchell.com/Framus%204x12%20V30%20SM57.syx said:
http://jay-mitchell.com/Framus%204x12%20V30%20SM57.syx[/url] .
Very good, thanks.
Less bass than the other one, but otherwise quite similar.

Yeah, less lows and low mids, but closer (I still prefer the stock version though).[/quote:16eebo6h]

Don't quote me on this, but I think Cliff applies a minimum phase transform to the IR's which would sound identical in amplitude, but does change the phase.

I just turned on my rig and checked out the 4x12 V30 speaker sim with some of my Marshall presets just to see what the appeal is. Damn, I can't for the life of me see what you guys see in that thing. I use the 2x12 G12H-65 sim that I did for Ed, and when I change to the V30 and leave everything else alone, it cuts off my balls. :eek:

Seriously, I'm reminded why I don't bother checking out new IRs these days.

Jay Mitchell said:
I just turned on my rig and checked out the 4x12 V30 speaker sim with some of my Marshall presets. Damn, I can't for the life of me see what you guys see in that thing. I use the 2x12 G12H-65 sim that I did for Ed, and when I change to the V30 and leave everything else alone, it cuts off my balls. :eek:

Seriously, I'm reminded why I don't bother checking out new IRs these days.

maybe your amps have been setup for the other cab?

this first tone is with the V30 cab sim
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=26802

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom