Do Any of You Use AES/EBU?

Jay Mitchell said:
My suggestion re: AES/EBU is to keep it.
Yep. Don't use it with the Axe-Fx, but it is widely employed in the company I work for (an EBU member, incidentally) and it would be useful there.

I used to with my EMU EIII sampler. Since that's been retired I haven't touched AES/EBU any more. Here in my studio it's SPDIF if digital connections are needed and the same goes for our main studio.

No . I ´ve never used it . I ´ve never seen an soundcard (so far ) with that sort of connections . I guess I then would have to solder som adaptors . Don´t like the 48kHz that much anyway . That´s why I never use any digital port at all with the AXE fx. If you use samplers and stuff , the audio- files have to be recalculated to 48 kHz wich feels a little to much everytime I load a song in the studio.

I guess I wouldn´t care if it was gone .

Believe it or not, I use the AES/EBU live at every gig.

My digital mixing board has an AES input.
I can't say enough about eliminating unneeded DA conversion and any other analog items in the signal path. Once my guitar hits the axe-fx, it doesn't change until output to the mains.

shasha said:
I'm using analog right now because I was getting too much jitter using S/PDIF. But I am considering upgrading my soundcard to something that uses AES/EBU, but only if the jitter is gone. I do realize that AES/EBU is a professional interface vs S/PDIF as a consumer interface, but the lack of the ability to provide a word clock to the input of the Axe-FX worries me.

So my question is for those that do use AES/EBU, I would assume that you don't have jitter or sync problems; is that correct?
Currently the lack of clock input/output makes me use analog connections also. Previously I used spdif because that's what my audio interface has. I would have used AES/EBU if my audio interface had it.

Yes, because I'm having issues with the SPDIF connection. After using it a while, it behaves like a loose concat and the signal is interrupted until there's no signal at all. Wobbling the coaxial cable brings back the signal until I lose grip. I already got my Ultra exchanged by G66, but after some month the new one showed the same symptoms. Maybe my cable is too heavy and the mechanical stress is too much for the SPDIF connector of the Ultra.

I use it to connect to my MOTU HD192. I tried SPDIF just for fun, but heard more jitter than I like, so I stuck with AES/EBU.

A BIG "YES" from me. That was about the only bummer I had when I got my Ultra. I wish it had AES i/o because it'd be a much simpler connection to my Pro Tools rig. Most high end/pro digital gear does have AES so I was surprised this didn't havin both i/o. It's doable without both, but it makes routing a bit of a pita.
My set up is a home project studio running PTHD.

AES/EBU is a necessity for studio environments with gear aimed at professionals
I'm no pro but all my gear is , over the years I have used SPDIF (sony,phillips digital interface)
alot primarily because pro-sumer gear has implemented it more often than AES/EBU
(Audio Engineering Society/European Broadcasting Union) For me it seems like SPDIF
is more sensitive to timing errors and high quality cables are a must but properly implemented
it seems to work good . I only wish AXE FX had digital pass through to the Digital to Analog
so I could make use of the nice convertors in the unit . As far as Wordclock goes ,
I use it at the beginning of my chain and the SPDIF just slaves off of it. My vote is
Connectivity means options and options create creativity which means the more the better!

Keep it. Maybe the people who run home studios and low end studios don't utilize it, but you'd be hard pressed to find a high end studio and professionals who use SPDIF over AES/EBU. I have seen MANY huge studios use the Axe-FX, because it has Pro routing options, such as AES/EBU. Take that away, and you are going to take away the fact that ATM the AFX seems aimed at both the casual musician, the home-studio recorder, and the high end pro studio.

I was wondering why the axefx doesn't have an AES "in" as well as "out". Why did the spdif get the extra love?

Back
Top Bottom