DLR content... Sad

He's in great shape for his age. Perhaps a little more focus on the vocal aspect of the show and little less on the theatrical and he'd sound better. Though, that's what some people have been saying about Roth since day 1. I don't think he cares lol.

He's in great shape for his age. Perhaps a little more focus on the vocal aspect of the show and little less on the theatrical and he'd sound better. Though, that's what some people have been saying about Roth since day 1. I don't think he cares lol.

Exactly, time isn't kind on the range of the 80's rock singers generally, but I figure Roth's happy he's got a crowd in front of him enjoying it. If I was anywhere near where he was playing I'd make a point of going just to see him. And as the greats age out I'm fully aware when I watch them they're old but I'd still make the most of it

DLR has still had a more successful musical career than anyone else on this thread trashing him. And he's laughing all the way to the bank and the history books.

I think DLR sounds better than Axl Rose does now. At least he doesn't lip sync or sound like Mickey Mouse or an auto-tuned robot. I think DLR is doing great for his age. I'm a lot younger than him but I could never move around like that anymore.

1:06
Sad to say I thought it was STING when I saw the stopped vid, before reading the content and playing.
And yeah.. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some monitoring issues.
For those of you who sing AND play, you KNOW it's hard to sing in tune when you can't hear yourself properly.

Yes, DLR's probably 'experienced more life' (both positive and negative) than all of us on this forum combined, and probably has no regrets. All I know is when you mixed his unique attitude/talent (and simultaneous lack thereof) together with 'the brothers' and MA, it produced the most powerful music I've heard or probably will hear in my lifetime. Their Fair Warning show was THE most powerful live musical event I've experienced. I can put on most any song from those first six albums, crank it to 11, and still get off on it, they never get old.

If he wants to have a little fun in Vegas and open with KISS this year (sans the Russian splits at 15 feet in the air and the on-pitch banshee screams) and show off his million-dollar body tattoos, kick ass! I wish I could include those experiences in my retirement plan!

I don't really mind the bad singing!
There is a little time left while we can enjoy his live performance! It's more about taking us back in the days!

I loved it!

PS: ... and the guitar player is amazing

It is sad. This is why I hope that Steve Jobs rots in hell for this plague he unleashed upon the world.
Because he created cell phones?

Chris said that a live show is for the people who were inside the room/hall/stadium, but I reckon if someone were to give him a bootleg recording of a show he attended in the past he wouldn't decline.
sure... because I was in the room. I experienced the whole performance. I don’t see how this applies.

I’ve listened to bootlegs of shows I haven’t attended as well and those don’t mean much to me because I didn’t attend the show.

my point was I’m not going to judge a band for sounding a certain way on any given performance because we’re human and don’t sound 100% all the time nor do we sound like 20 year olds at the age of 40+.

It’s just so easy to go on YouTube, see a video and judge every single aspect, pause, rewind, loop something over and over and tease it. At the show, it happens but then it’s over and we’re on to the next moment. Enjoy the band’s performance in front of you. I don’t like judging shows you haven’t been to when it’s “just another gig” to them the same way our every Saturday night gig at home is just another gig.

Wouldn’t you hate if you weren’t feeling it one night and someone records you and YouTube comments say how bad you are? Now what if that happened every single gig? Irritating, right?

And what if they told you to just quit because you don’t sound good? Would you?

it like Regis Philbin and Siegfield had a tone deaf baby

the rant at 3:00 on is pretty special too , I have no idea if he is selling dance studios ,or dance lessons

If he wants to have a little fun in Vegas and open with KISS this year (sans the Russian splits at 15 feet in the air and the on-pitch banshee screams) and show off his million-dollar body tattoos, kick ass! I wish I could include those experiences in my retirement plan!

THIS!

I would kill to be doing what he's doing at my age, let alone his age.

here's an example.

i just saw Animals as Leaders at NAMM on the big Yamaha stage. best music performance i've ever experienced in my life. it was amazing, the sound was great, everything was perfect!

i'd say the band played everything without mistakes like 99.9999%. and i don't even usually think about those things, just mentioning it for this example.

in Ectogenesis, Javier was playing the slow melodic line, and toward the end of a phrase with the bend, he kinda made some mistakes, missed some notes, the bend didn't bend as much as it should have.

now if someone posted a video of that song, or even just a clip of that moment, viewers with no context would just think "wow he can't play" or "wow this band sucks, they can't even play that easy part" or other things along those lines.

but the fact was it was FREAKING COLD out there! my hands were frozen solid in the audience surrounded by my friends with a little body warmth, but he's alone on stage there in the cold weather. i have no idea how they all played up there at all. someone just watching a video may never realize or think about that.

but during/after that slight mistake, he laughed it off, looked to the side of stage at his tech or something and said "it's freaking cold!" haha.

THAT is an experience we all shared being at that show. sharing the elements and the situation. and i know why that mistake happened, and i totally get it. i'm glad it did because it showed that they are really playing the guitar parts! there are some tracks in their shows so it's hard to tell what they're actually doing sometimes because they play everything so flawlessly!

so there could be a video going around with comments like "he can't play!" but that's so unfortunate because it was just like .05% of the entire show that was played brutally flawlessly and energetically. but internet comments will get hung up on that moment forever. while those of us at the show had a laugh and moved on and forgot about it seconds later.

i know this is different than the DLR video where he consistently didn't sound very good, but it's my general thought on judging people online. 1 minuscule moment ruins the entire experience because people rewind and talk about that one tiny thing, rather than enjoying the performance as a whole.

again props to DLR for still having fun and doing what he does regardless of what anyone else thinks, or how he may be judged. even if he thinks he's nailing it (when he's clearly not), he's having an experience and sharing himself with everyone there. and that's what is to be appreciated. not the specific execution of the talent, but the moments shared with real people in a physical space.

there's some video of Bobby Kimball sounding horrible at some gig. sang africa and other songs way, way out of key and out of time. it's so tough to listen to and you honestly can't help laughing. and he got KILLED in the comments of course. he replied saying the IEMs weren't working right, and he couldn't hear anything. now i wish he stopped the show and tried to get it fixed. but there's a generation of musicians who know "the show must go on" and he probably had limited time and just trucked through, thinking he was somewhat on. unfortunately he wasn't at all. and i think the video is still up. man i would ask for it to be taken down because it's clearly such a bad representation of someone. but shit happens at gigs, and you just gotta go with it. now someone of his status probably has every performance recorded like this, so what can you do other than pull a Judas Priest. but how irritating is it to have your every move recorded for analyzing later. meh.

again, just how i view things and my own opinion, but it's something that really gets me mad about the internet generation.

I made it to 1:07, it just made me sad...

I know this doesn't exactly pertain to DLR's performance? But....

For today's music fan, record companies, music broadcasters and producers music and musicians are required to be perfect. Because all music seems to be almost a free right for everyone to have these days, the competition for fan/viewer money is fierce. So fierce that anything that isn't perfect could cause the listener to tune out and spend his money and time on some other mechanized "music". The standard is sooooo high that it is just out of reach by almost everyone. That"s why all the award shows and tv show are predominantly recorded and lip synched. The general public can't handle the human element of any type of music performance.

it's hard to be a vocalist and get older. i'm sure he knows how he sounds. but he's still out there doing it. props man. i watched the whole thing (skipped the talking part). i enjoyed what he could provide.

i just saw Earth Wind and Fire at NAMM perform on the Yamaha Stage. Verdine was playing bass, and Philip Bailey and Ralph Johnson were singing. now they didn't sound like DLR in that video, but clearly as they've aged, it's doesn't sound like it did when they were 20. but it was great for what they could provide. Kenny Loggins performed too and he didn't sound like he used to either. but i got to see Kenny Loggins perform. i never thought i'd ever see him.

i mean what do you do if you're a singer with a legendary history? just stop? because someone on the internet will say bad things about you?

i actually hate video recordings of concerts on youtube because all people do is judge that they don't sound like the recording. unless the band has prepped for a video/audio recording for release, a live performance is for the people in the room at that moment. there's an energy and experience you can't get from the horrible cell phone video on youtube. people don't sound 100% every performance.

but it's about that moment, connecting with the crowd, performing with what you have that day. THAT is what i enjoy about going to see a concert. i don't care if they don't sound perfect. it's the performance i get to see, and honestly any band that is clearly having a tough time usually mentions if anything is wrong, or sometimes give some sort of extra vibe, dance, or songs to compensate for it. (well some bands...)

if you go to see DLR, you get what you get. and you get to see him in person. if you want the old sound, see a tribute band or listen to an old recording. i just really loathe people judging singers for how they're old and don't sound good. see you in 50 years and i'll listen to you. you better be good and sound perfect.

oh and this isn't a dig to anyone in this thread specifically. people will say what they want to say and that's cool. just in general, i hate negativity toward people's performances. constructive criticism is different, and stating fact is different. i just personally don't like it all.
Cool post....understanding the working musician!

i know this is different than the DLR video where he consistently didn't sound very good, but it's my general thought on judging people online. 1 minuscule moment ruins the entire experience because people rewind and talk about that one tiny thing, rather than enjoying the performance as a whole.

I think the primary thing here is like you mentioned, guys like DLR and Vince Neil (for example) are consistently bad these days. It's not just an off night that happened to get caught on video. It's multiple videos, multiple songs, multiple shows. The internet bashing will quickly gain steam when you're consistently bad as a performer. Of course, it's a bit confusing as well as younger generations seem to be more willing to embrace mediocrity in the arts.

I think the primary thing here is like you mentioned, guys like DLR and Vince Neil (for example) are consistently bad these days. It's not just an off night that happened to get caught on video. It's multiple videos, multiple songs, multiple shows. The internet bashing will quickly gain steam when you're consistently bad as a performer. Of course, it's a bit confusing as well as younger generations seem to be more willing to embrace mediocrity in the arts.
Exactly. I saw him live a few years ago and he was godawful for the entire show, and was sorry I paid money for that lousy embarrassing performance. I’ve seen many great vocalists live but DLR is pathetic at best.

Back in "the day" he really had it going on. He could sing and put on a show. Problem is, that sets a precedent that people expect. It's hard to live up to our 30 yr younger selves.

Yeah, he should have taken into consideration how hard it is to pull it still off at a later age and dial it down a little, don't hit such high notes while recording. That sets bad precedents for later. ;)

You gotta do what you gotta do to break through at a young age and make a mark for yourself and your band. I can't fault DLR for that nor that at his age he can no longer do that. We all get older and feel its terrible grip. He obviously should have taken better care of his voice when he was younger, but coulda shoulda woulda, there is no time machine, best to make the most of what you still got. The only thing we can fault him for is that if you know you can't hit those notes any more like you should you shouldn't even be trying. Or ask the band to down tune into death metal territory. The lower the key, the more chance you might be able to hit something right.

DLR has still had a more successful musical career than anyone else on this thread trashing him. And he's laughing all the way to the bank and the history books.

That's not a valid argument, just a knockdown argument. Yeah, obviously he had a more successful musical career then any of us here. Does that mean we can't say its cringe when he sings off key? We're his customers. In this woke era where its fashionable to attack the fans it may come as a surprise to many but the old saying used to be the customer is always right. And the customer expects a good performance for his money. We don't know if the people in the room had a good experience, but most people (and fans) here thought it was cringe. And the customer is always right.

Because he created cell phones?

No, because he created or popularized the smart phone, which has zombified people, destroys human interaction and basically reduced people's ability to concentrate on something to that of a goldfish. And for that he deserves to rot in hell. Just like any inventor should who invented something that wreaked havoc upon the world

sure... because I was in the room. I experienced the whole performance. I don’t see how this applies.

I’ve listened to bootlegs of shows I haven’t attended as well and those don’t mean much to me because I didn’t attend the show.

Actually, for me, if the performance was better at another show then the one I attended, or the setlist was more interesting, bootlegs of different shows can mean even more to me. But like I said, I had about 80% of all U2 shows up to 2006 at one time, and I listened to pretty much to 80% of those at least once. The good recordings or the special setlists stand out to me. It's probably different if you were at a show with a standard setlist and thought it was the bomb. Which is a fair judgment. Some things I agree a bootleg recording cannot transfer to a listener. The energy of the crowd for instance. Although it probably does a hell of a lot better job of that then any official release, if only because its taped from inside the audience.

my point was I’m not going to judge a band for sounding a certain way on any given performance because we’re human and don’t sound 100% all the time nor do we sound like 20 year olds at the age of 40+.

True. But then again DLR should learn to compensate for that. And when you don't sing off key, but badly, then I'm not going to excuse him on the account of him not being young any more and cameras are so evil. Don't try to hit those high notes, have the band downtune.

It’s just so easy to go on YouTube, see a video and judge every single aspect, pause, rewind, loop something over and over and tease it. At the show, it happens but then it’s over and we’re on to the next moment. Enjoy the band’s performance in front of you. I don’t like judging shows you haven’t been to when it’s “just another gig” to them the same way our every Saturday night gig at home is just another gig.

But when I do a bad job at work my boss will tell me. So if DLR does a bad job at work, his boss should also tell him. And since we pay his bills, that makes us his boss. The customer is always right?

Wouldn’t you hate if you weren’t feeling it one night and someone records you and YouTube comments say how bad you are? Now what if that happened every single gig? Irritating, right?

Believe me, when I f*** up at a gig or at teaching zumba, I know it. And at this point in my musical career if someone were to record me and put me on youtube I'd feel honored. Yeah, getting bad comments would suck, but hey, it's youtube, read youtube comments at the peril of your own sanity. Seeing myself f*** up would at least allow me to identify the problem and do better next time. So I know that when I feel I'm not at 100% of my usual ability I should compensate and shift to a lower gear. And if it were to happen every night I wouldn't even bother to watch because that would mean that my musical career has shifted into such high gear I joined the big league. Then it becomes part of the territory. People only film or record famous artists. Nobodies they only film when they are friends or family, or if the f*** is truly spectacular.

And what if they told you to just quit because you don’t sound good? Would you?

Again, it's youtube. Comes with the territory. Read those comments at your own peril. Youtube is full of nasty people, learn to live with it. Just like DLR does. He doesn't need Chris to defend himself. He doesn't care nor notice that we exist. If he f***s up and notices it and thinks, damn, I should do better next time, good for him. If he f***s up and doesn't notice nor thinks he should do better then he deserves every nasty comment he gets.

Its in the DNA of fans to fret over every detail that their favorite artist does, right or wrong. They can be their staunchest defenders, or their harshest critics. Both are perfect example of fan behavior. And just because you diss their performance doesn't make you any less of a fan then if you defend their every move, even if it stinks to high water. Fanboys, both sides of the argument.

Having said that I must confess I don't even give a rat's ass about DLR or VH. Not a fan, never been, just not my kind of music.

Back
Top Bottom