DLR content... Sad

here's an example.

i just saw Animals as Leaders at NAMM on the big Yamaha stage. best music performance i've ever experienced in my life. it was amazing, the sound was great, everything was perfect!

i'd say the band played everything without mistakes like 99.9999%. and i don't even usually think about those things, just mentioning it for this example.

in Ectogenesis, Javier was playing the slow melodic line, and toward the end of a phrase with the bend, he kinda made some mistakes, missed some notes, the bend didn't bend as much as it should have.

now if someone posted a video of that song, or even just a clip of that moment, viewers with no context would just think "wow he can't play" or "wow this band sucks, they can't even play that easy part" or other things along those lines.

but the fact was it was FREAKING COLD out there! my hands were frozen solid in the audience surrounded by my friends with a little body warmth, but he's alone on stage there in the cold weather. i have no idea how they all played up there at all. someone just watching a video may never realize or think about that.

but during/after that slight mistake, he laughed it off, looked to the side of stage at his tech or something and said "it's freaking cold!" haha.

THAT is an experience we all shared being at that show. sharing the elements and the situation. and i know why that mistake happened, and i totally get it. i'm glad it did because it showed that they are really playing the guitar parts! there are some tracks in their shows so it's hard to tell what they're actually doing sometimes because they play everything so flawlessly!

so there could be a video going around with comments like "he can't play!" but that's so unfortunate because it was just like .05% of the entire show that was played brutally flawlessly and energetically. but internet comments will get hung up on that moment forever. while those of us at the show had a laugh and moved on and forgot about it seconds later.

i know this is different than the DLR video where he consistently didn't sound very good, but it's my general thought on judging people online. 1 minuscule moment ruins the entire experience because people rewind and talk about that one tiny thing, rather than enjoying the performance as a whole.

again props to DLR for still having fun and doing what he does regardless of what anyone else thinks, or how he may be judged. even if he thinks he's nailing it (when he's clearly not), he's having an experience and sharing himself with everyone there. and that's what is to be appreciated. not the specific execution of the talent, but the moments shared with real people in a physical space.

there's some video of Bobby Kimball sounding horrible at some gig. sang africa and other songs way, way out of key and out of time. it's so tough to listen to and you honestly can't help laughing. and he got KILLED in the comments of course. he replied saying the IEMs weren't working right, and he couldn't hear anything. now i wish he stopped the show and tried to get it fixed. but there's a generation of musicians who know "the show must go on" and he probably had limited time and just trucked through, thinking he was somewhat on. unfortunately he wasn't at all. and i think the video is still up. man i would ask for it to be taken down because it's clearly such a bad representation of someone. but shit happens at gigs, and you just gotta go with it. now someone of his status probably has every performance recorded like this, so what can you do other than pull a Judas Priest. but how irritating is it to have your every move recorded for analyzing later. meh.

again, just how i view things and my own opinion, but it's something that really gets me mad about the internet generation.

It's very true. The internet has added a level of scrutiny and expectations, that it's almost not worth it to post anything.
I also agree that the live show experience is where the magic happens. Watching back on video is never going to be the same (or even close, IMO).

I'm sure if someone recorded me every weekend and posted it, there would be PLENTY of trash comments.
But the fact is - only thing that matters are the people in the room when I'm playing. If they're enjoying it, then I'm good with it.

By law....Roth needs to have a disclaimer that tells folks how much he completely sucks now before they purchase any ticket to see him do whatever the hell it's called that he's been attempting to do in recent years :cool:

I used to love the guy, but come on now....

He's a legend! A rock star! Made gazillions no doubt! His place in rock and roll history is cemented. He's probably done and seen more than most of us combined. No denying all that.

However, in the last few years, with the examples I have seen, he's become nothing more than a cheesy bad lounge act. Saying so isn't disrespecting Dave, his past accomplishments, or the current day fun had by anyone in attendance. It's just stating the obvious.

DLR has charisma and could just as easily make a pretty good living talking. He's had a pretty full and adventurous life not to mention that he has a pretty wicked sense of humor when he's not trying to be such a caricature of himself. I, for one, would probably enjoy hearing his stories from his life both in and out of Van Halen. His singing career pretty much sounds like it's over.

It's a young man's sport, unless you're Bruce Dickenson.
If "unavailable", reload page and click video name.

or...Glenn Hughes.
Makin' all the young dudes work to keep up.
If "unavailable", reload page and click video name.

Last edited:
Speaking of singers who have deteriorated, Axl Rose is pretty painful to listen to (and watch) nowadays too. There's a dude on YouTube who, if you closed your eyes, sounds just like a much younger version of Axl though. Search for "Juan the beast".

I remember when he was a paramedic ...I'd rather die than be stuck in the back of an ambulance listen to him talk non nonsensical bullshit.
Out of ALL the albums I ever bought (800+) DLR comes to the top of the list of the biggest embarrassment ......

I remember when he was a paramedic ...I'd rather die than be stuck in the back of an ambulance listen to him talk non nonsensical bullshit.
Out of ALL the albums I ever bought (800+) DLR comes to the top of the list of the biggest embarrassment ......
Yeah, I agree. When he's not trying to be "Diamond Dave" though, he can be quite entertaining. An oxymoron, I suppose.

The US Festival performance where the whole band is so messed up is classic. I still use his line "The only people who put iced tea in their Jack Daniels bottle is the Clash baby!!!!!!!!"

I've known since my high school band days that the portable audio/video recorder somewhere in the audience is the single most brutal witness to a live performance ever. If you can come across well on one of those, you are pretty much shit-hot.

That really is true.

Seeing it live and in person, a lot of stuff gets hidden that shows up on the recording. Maybe the volume helps live and the compression hurts in the recording- making it easier to pick up the bad stuff.

That really is true.

Seeing it live and in person, a lot of stuff gets hidden that shows up on the recording. Maybe the volume helps live and the compression hurts in the recording- making it easier to pick up the bad stuff.

Generally is true in regards to capturing a bad mix or something of that nature. However, a cellphone video isn't going to turn your quality vocal performance into Super Grover.

Pretty much depends on the singer. examples are Kenny Loggins (close to 70) on Daryl Hall and Friends singing I'm all right and Footloose like he did decades ago, Ann Wilson at the Kennedy center singing Stairway to heaven, she is just one of the best (insert genre here) singers ever plus many, many more.
I have friends that screamed most of their lives when they sang and now they cannot sing a lick. I also have friends who sing great still.
Then on the other hand some guys/gals have lowered\changed the keys of songs they sang decades ago to sing them now.

Back
Top Bottom