Disappointed in the user interface

I asked how much a UI designer would cost and also agreed that the interface could be improved.

Not sure how that means "shut your trap."

What you actually wrote was:

"could there be a better user interface? sure.

did anyone share something actionable? no."

Which implies that the fact that he didn't offer up a specific solution voids his comments having any value. In other words... "Shut your trap."

And your comment was one of the least vitriolic.

This thread...wow. Both sides are defensive and both sides are giving a little jab into each other. Think about when Cliff reads the OP...he might take it into consideration. Now if he reads 800 pages of back and forth and childishness from both sides I bet he stops caring and we all lose out on cool products and user development business strats. WHo cares if the OP isn't impressed by the FX8? I don't and neither should you.

Honestly, I am currently finding myself more concerned with this ongoing problem on this forum than I am with the original topic at this point.

It's a forum about a specific product and brand. This always happens. Par for the course. Stop bumping the thread back to the top.

Honestly, I am currently finding myself more concerned with this ongoing problem on this forum than I am with the original topic at this point.

I am sure Cliff does exactly what he wants to do and if he sees a high value enhancement he can implement, that is what he will do. I am sure he filters out all the excessive noise surrounding many of the exchanges that take place at times. He has his eye on the target, with the ultimate goal of taking over the world :mrgreen

Last edited:
Well, like I said, I was referring to the AXE display, not the FX8 display. I see this thread is in a FX8 discussion forum. I did not realize that because I just click on the new posts link and read. The OP sounded as if he was referring to the AXE display. So that's what I was commenting on. My bad. Sorry.

Right, so from my perspective you were saying that 'it's the best there is' in so many words, and I'm thinking 'but dude... you haven't even tried it....' because I was thinking FX8, not Axe FX.

Exactly! My bad. But the Axe is the best thing out there.

Right, so from my perspective you were saying that 'it's the best there is' in so many words, and I'm thinking 'but dude... you haven't even tried it....' because I was thinking FX8, not Axe FX.

Jony.jpeg

What you actually wrote was:

"could there be a better user interface? sure.

did anyone share something actionable? no."

Which implies that the fact that he didn't offer up a specific solution voids his comments having any value. In other words... "Shut your trap."

And your comment was one of the least vitriolic.

Part of the problem I think stems from the OP using charged words and calling the UI something out of the 1980's and how the Line6 stomp box emulator has a better UI than the Axe FX 2.

When an OP takes that kind of tack as far as offering ideas for improvement, none of which are a solid concrete actionable idea of "how about this idea" other than the video game d-pad, as someone who works in UI in another field, I can see how that might start the slings and arrows being hurled. Even the d-pad idea was not really described well as to how it would relate to improving the input or navigation.

You get more bees with honey than vinegar.

If an OP don't want to start that kind of flaming debate, then don't arrive with a drum of napalm and a lighter.

Nobody is forcing you to use the forum. Hopefully you can also take a step back and consider the baseless assumptions and hypocrisy in many of your comments here.

I love the Axe's interface. I personally found it very intuitive out of the box. I rarely touch Axe-Edit. It would be cool to have a few more physical knobs under the screen, but I think the logic behind not doing that is fairly straight-forward: there's not enough room without sacrificing screen size, and having physical knobs presents an issue in that it limits the ways in which you can present parameters on the screen without it feeling clunky. Having a more universal control interface ensures no conflicts with firmware changes.

An HD color screen would be cool, but I don't think I'd pay extra for it. The argument that you could fit more on the screen seems silly to me. How much more would you really want to fit on a 2x3in screen?

The suggestion that Line 6 has a superior interface is ridiculous. I can see where someone might like it better, but the context is a vastly simplified set of functions. You simply can't expect an interface like that to translate to the Axe's inherent complexity.

Of course, I'm sure there are alternate interfaces that some users would prefer. If any of those had been selected over the current one, we'd probably have a whole different set of users complaining about that one. There's no right answer, only options.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the layout and things like the grid editing on the front panel of the Axe beat the pants off the H3000 (I know, I've owned one since the 1980's.). Nothing close during that time. You are beating a dead horse with completely specious hyperbole...

So in nearly 26 years of technological development, grid editing and layout is the only UI improvement you can come up with?

Don't get me wrong. I love the AFX, I bought it for how it sounds and what it's capable of. All I'm asking is for more rotary controllers which relate specifically to the front panel of the amp being modelled.

Hardly a huge criticism of the unit as a whole, and I'm interested to hear your thoughts on why this wouldn't be a good idea from a UI point of view.

I think your horse needs some legs, as does your argument.

Last edited:
So in nearly 26 years of technological development, grid editing and layout is the only UI improvement you can come up with?

Don't get me wrong. I love the AFX, I bought it for how it sounds and what it's capable of. All I'm asking is for more rotary controllers which relate specifically to the front panel of the amp being modelled.

Hardly a huge criticism of the unit as a whole, and I'm interested to hear your thoughts on why this wouldn't be a good idea from a UI point of view.

I think your horse needs some legs, as does your argument.

Another member's rendering from an old thread:
Axe-FX-III3_zpsf3f1c15e.jpg

I think physical design limitations would make encoder placement under the screen difficult without some very custom parts. To be used as true amp controls, these would also need LED position indicators, which would further crowd the screen.

I like the idea, but I think it's an engineering hurdle more than a lack of vision.

Ehhh... I'd rather milk a cow, get the milk, churn it up, drain it out, press it, ripen it, and end up with top quality cheese totty... this new fangled handmade cheese is gonna wipe the floor with all those lesser (read: entry level, amateur bullshit) cheeses!

Another member's rendering from an old thread:
Axe-FX-III3_zpsf3f1c15e.jpg

I think physical design limitations would make encoder placement under the screen difficult without some very custom parts. To be used as true amp controls, these would also need LED position indicators, which would further crowd the screen.

I like the idea, but I think it's an engineering hurdle more than a lack of vision.

Yeah, I vaguely remember seeing that image a little while back.

Of course, retrofitting extra encoders on the existing axefx would no doubt not be a viable solution from an engineering point of view, you would probably have to start from scratch in terms of internal and external layout to fit everything in.

In any case I am predominantly a front panel programmer and I've always been able to get a sound out of it.

I think the AFX II is a truly revolutionary piece if kit- if the only thing I can think of to improve my experience of using the AFX is is to throw a few more encoders on the front panel then fractal have achieved a big box of win already.

I hope this is something that may be a consideration when developing the next generation of AFXs as this could offer the ideal opportunity to reengineer the front panel UI.

Until then, someone (maybe Fractal!) should develop a 1u control surface for the AFX.

It could either interface with the AFX to default to relevant parameters for each of the different models in an integrated fashion, or perhaps (more likely if it was developed by a third party) sit between the midi out/in on the AFX it and switch to custom user programmed parameters as per patch.

Just an idea.

Nobody is forcing you to use the forum. Hopefully you can also take a step back and consider the baseless assumptions and hypocrisy in many of your comments here.

Yep, that's right, I don't like the fact that people are acting like assholes to others so I should just find the door.

Give me a break. By all means, point to some of those baseless assumptions and hypocrisies. I'd love to hear this.

Back
Top Bottom