Disappointed in the user interface

laxu

Fractal Fanatic
As the manual is not yet available, can't tell how it is actually in use. However, based on pictures it seems like Fractal Audio has learned nothing from the Axe-Fx 2. It's still the same shitty navigation and value knobs, low res display and what looks like a pretty big box. Considering the Axe-Fx rack units have a lot of empty space, I would not be surprised if this is the same.

I love my Axe-II but hate its user interface. It's pretty close to something out of the 1980s still. I was really hoping this would improve upon that and bring more modern control to the floorboard. I'm not saying it should be a touch screen btw but I would've preferred seeing something that doesn't require a shitload of scrolling to operate.

As the manual is not yet available, can't tell how it is actually in use. However, based on pictures it seems like Fractal Audio has learned nothing from the Axe-Fx 2. It's still the same shitty navigation and value knobs, low res display and what looks like a pretty big box. Considering the Axe-Fx rack units have a lot of empty space, I would not be surprised if this is the same.

I love my Axe-II but hate its user interface. It's pretty close to something out of the 1980s still. I was really hoping this would improve upon that and bring more modern control to the floorboard. I'm not saying it should be a touch screen btw but I would've preferred seeing something that doesn't require a shitload of scrolling to operate.

Does it have an editor like axe edit?

Does it have an editor like axe edit?

It has editor.
I must add i don't like the bulkiness of it too. No complains, just my oppinion.
If i find a rig that beats Axe II /LF Mini in weight and sound i will buy it instantly.

Last edited:
Then go find a unit that has a display that meets your needs. I bet it will sound like shit. I'm tired of all the nitpicking. This is the best unit out there bar none. Plus, the customer service is beyond exceptional. Good luck searching or you can just play what you have and enjoy.

I love my Axe-II but hate its user interface.

hahahaha ok... dude, what did you expect for any new unit that comes out from FAS, the Axe FX interface is really simple to use, hope you like the Axe Edit interface because FX8 has a really similar one, if not..well you will have to continue and deal with the interfaces you hate on your beloved FAS units.

It's pretty close to something out of the 1980s still.
Just checking... Were you around in the 1980s?

I was. I can assure you anything made before 2000 has nothing like a "user interface".

If you want Fractal to spend its limited resources on colourful visuals and touch screen interfaces, you'll find no support from me. My priorities lie elsewhere.
Not to mention that those kind of interfaces wouldn't fit on a less "bulky" unit. Interfaces like the Eleven Rack have their drawbacks. Or would you prefer the Kemper's? That's three rack spaces, btw, so was the POD pro something or other. Can't be bothered to look it up.

As to the bulkiness: there's more to the choices made in the design of the AxeFx than is dreamt of in your philosophy. As advanced as Fractal is, they haven't found a way of changing the laws of physics yet.

But, by all means design an interface and supply it to Fractal, I'm sure they will appreciate any worthwile input. I'm curious.

I loved the 80s! Maybe that's why I've used the front panel exclusively while I've owned my XL? LOL I don't own a computer at the moment, just a smartphone, I've become so proficient and adept to the front panel that I don't feel inclined to add "more cables and menus and stuff" to tweak a preset! Lol

I definitely wouldn't call it shitty, and we obviously haven't seen the display on the FX8 unit, but IMO the display on the Axe-Fx could be improved.
Ever since I first bought one, the display panel is one of the things that stood out to me. I don't spend much time on it though. Thankfully we have a solid editor we can use instead....

Just don't understand people complaining AFTER they buy a product. Before you buy , do your research , youtube is full of vids that walk you through the interface ....Once you got the Axe Fx , try to be creative and stop complaining.:)

you have the most advanced, best sounding unit on the planet and you are complaining about the display? like buying a spec'd out Mac and complaining the speakers don't sound as good as some 5k dollar audiophile speakers...

Just checking... Were you around in the 1980s?

I was. I can assure you anything made before 2000 has nothing like a "user interface".

If you want Fractal to spend its limited resources on colourful visuals and touch screen interfaces, you'll find no support from me. My priorities lie elsewhere.
Not to mention that those kind of interfaces wouldn't fit on a less "bulky" unit. Interfaces like the Eleven Rack have their drawbacks. Or would you prefer the Kemper's? That's three rack spaces, btw, so was the POD pro something or other. Can't be bothered to look it up.

As to the bulkiness: there's more to the choices made in the design of the AxeFx than is dreamt of in your philosophy. As advanced as Fractal is, they haven't found a way of changing the laws of physics yet.

But, by all means design an interface and supply it to Fractal, I'm sure they will appreciate any worthwile input. I'm curious.

Yes, yes I was, though I didn't play guitar then. That said, the Axe-Fx/FX8 user interface isn't all that far off from the rack units of the time. Lots of value knobs and poorly placed buttons.

I already said in my initial post that by modern user interface I don't mean touch screens. Nor color screens. The screen could be bigger and higher resolution so more info can be crammed on it. The controls could employ something akin to a game console controller D-pad for selection and navigation, the buttons could be arranged better and there could be more knobs for quick adjustments. For similar floorboards I think TC electronic and Line6 have done a far better job when it comes to user interfaces. For example I think the Line 6 M13 manages to bundle a really nice amount of info on their limited displays, in a way that intuitively ties to the hardware controls. That's what I was using before the Axe-Fx and it was generally a joy to use.

I use the Axe-Edit exclusively on the Axe-Fx and it's actually what makes it usable. Despite its excellent sound, I might've given up on it if I didn't have Axe-Edit to work with.

Oh and I'm not even thinking of buying the FX8. I've got my Axe so I don't need it. I just like to see companies do their best and IMO they haven't quite gotten there this time. I have no doubt the FX8 will be the best sounding and most complex multifx floorboard on the market but at the same time it remains to be seen if it's going to be popular.

I would love to design a user interface for Fractal (have actually done a few mockups on my spare time) but of course it would have to be a job.

I would love to design a user interface for Fractal (have actually done a few mockups on my spare time) but of course it would have to be a job.

Would be cool to see your work on this, but don't expect to get paid for it, first show it off, if its worth it some one will notice. ;)

I wonder how much a UI designer costs and how much the price of already expensive gear would increase.

I think the truth lies somewhere between the pros and cons: Customer service: very friendly, but I've had my II in twice to fix the encoder and it's still totally random and almost completely useless/maddening compared to the encoder on my Ultra, which was flawless. Evolution: LOTS on amp modeling technology. Some on effects (studio 'verb etc.), same pretty lame, non-global looper - that and the encoders have been bitched about forever with no relief.

As to the front panel interface: no, I do not think it's the best I've seen. most of my peeves are based on things like the 4 soft knobs not defaulting to amp-style bass-mid-treble controls. For editing, it's fine. WAY WAY better than, say, my beloved Switchblade FX router! Compared to the '80s? My PCM-70? Please, dude, it's far superior. But I do think it could be way better. Something tells me that if Fractal hired the right guy or gal, a good analyst/designer, who played guitar, but was NOT a tweak freak, something more intuitive could be built. I also think a simple mode/expert mode paradigm would fit this incredibly complex box well!

Back
Top Bottom