Delay Dialing In

Wow, just shocked to hear this as every top pro I work with -- the world's most demanding delay and echo connoisseurs -- find that the Axe-Fx is the best sounding and most versatile unit they've ever encountered. (If I were at liberty to name the three people I am thinking of I think the Internet's eyes would pop out.)

The mix change ONLY altered wet/dry levels, so any other perceived difference is in your head.

How are your presets set up? Do you have the delay in front of the amp like a pre-effect or after the amp like a studio/post effect?

What amps do you prefer using?

I do like the quality of the Axe delays, but I have to say that I am not a fan of the change to the mix control. It confuses the heck out of me. Most of the time I have to keep the mix control way down at like 7- 15% to keep the delay from sounding incredibly obnoxious. It seems like a huge waste that I can't figure out how to use the rest of the range that is in that mix control. Its like pointless to turn it up past 20%. The dynamic range of the effect seems very limited. Before the change to the mix control, the delays were much more intuitive and much easier to use. I really think this was a step backwards. Of course I'm sure I'm not using this control correctly to its potential but honestly, there's enough complexity in all of the Axe settings to keep track of. I learn how to use one knob on something and then 6 months later I forget how to set it properly for something else I'm doing. I wish we could get the old mix control back. I'm done ranting now. Thanks

I do like the quality of the Axe delays, but I have to say that I am not a fan of the change to the mix control. It confuses the heck out of me. Most of the time I have to keep the mix control way down at like 7- 15% to keep the delay from sounding incredibly obnoxious.

Sounds like you're using the delay in front of an amp, which is fine and how I often work. You can also adjust input gain to the effect to your liking...

Using the DUAL DELAY, you can easily create "golden" echo by setting both sides to 1/4 and setting R TIME RATIO to 61.8%
Here's a little example of such an echo:

I played a little chirp at the end so you can hear the times clearly.

Here is the preset to download:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Golden Echo Juniors - by Admin M@

and the Block:

Attachments

• Dual-Golden-001-Admin-M_20150528_130415.blk
    532 bytes · Views: 80
Last edited:
also...the mix change only affected parallel paths, correct? otherwise the delays act like they always have...

I do like the quality of the Axe delays, but I have to say that I am not a fan of the change to the mix control. It confuses the heck out of me. Most of the time I have to keep the mix control way down at like 7- 15% to keep the delay from sounding incredibly obnoxious. It seems like a huge waste that I can't figure out how to use the rest of the range that is in that mix control. Its like pointless to turn it up past 20%. The dynamic range of the effect seems very limited. Before the change to the mix control, the delays were much more intuitive and much easier to use. I really think this was a step backwards. Of course I'm sure I'm not using this control correctly to its potential but honestly, there's enough complexity in all of the Axe settings to keep track of. I learn how to use one knob on something and then 6 months later I forget how to set it properly for something else I'm doing. I wish we could get the old mix control back. I'm done ranting now. Thanks
I have the same problem. I'm a wizard at figuring out a lot of things but using and dialing in delay is not one of them, in fact, I'm probably in the "severely challenged" or "differently abled" category for delays, to be PC.
I just got my axe a few weeks ago and spent a few days last weekend transferring all my presets over from my old rig. I had the delays on my Digitech and GMajor perfect after much trial and error. However, trying to duplicate the delay on my Rush 2112 presets and a couple of other took me longer to do than it did to set up whole patches. The AFX is great and Axe-Edit is even better, especially how easily it works on USB with my PC so overall it was awesome and took less time than expected but the delays were even more confusing to me than usual and I was having trouble with translating the settings from my old units to the new because I couldn't figure out what was doing what.
Not complaining, just echoing what guitar32 said.

Last edited:
one of my fav presets on the TL was one that did the reverb thing....was an almost infinite pad and you never really heard any repeats whatsoever.

in matt's example, he has both delays set to 1/4 notes, so they would follow tap tempo

there's a lot of talk about delays on the forum at the moment and i'm wondering if people would be interested in a whole bunch of delay "blocks" they could drop into their axe edit block library. basically as many as i could think of, using the delay, multidelay, megatap etc etc maybe 30-50 blocks? some of them would be based on whatever strymon demos i could find on youtube? i'd make them available to download and probably ask for a voluntary donation. i could have them done by the end of next week....

in matt's example, he has both delays set to 1/4 notes, so they would follow tap tempo

there's a lot of talk about delays on the forum at the moment and i'm wondering if people would be interested in a whole bunch of delay "blocks" they could drop into their axe edit block library. basically as many as i could think of, using the delay, multidelay, megatap etc etc maybe 30-50 blocks? some of them would be based on whatever strymon demos i could find on youtube? i'd make them available to download and probably ask for a voluntary donation. i could have them done by the end of next week....

Pretty please, with sugar on top! :)

could you please share a preset?

i am trying to dial in similar sound, but my delays are too clean, nothing close to this reverb-like delay.

Using the DUAL DELAY, you can easily create "golden" echo by setting both sides to 1/4 and setting R TIME RATIO to 61.2%
Here's a little example of such an echo:

I played a little chirp at the end so you can hear the times clearly.

I think it was the joe rogan podcast that Maynard said in hindsight, that was totally lame and came across as trying too hard. I also think it's brilliant though.

I don't think it comes across as trying too hard when the song is brilliant. I've heard other bands trying to do mathematical musical stunts and it's just garbage. That's not the case with Lateralus, IMO... though, I generally don't pay attention to anything Maynard says. :)

I would help with a donation. I'm a delay dumbass. All my stuff is very basic.

Back
Top Bottom