Delay Dialing In

Hello all!

With sad news I must say I am struggling suddenly to get tones I love with my axe. Mainly where delays are concerned. I began having a tough time when the firmware updated the mix settings on the delay(Hopefully that wasn't just in my head. it was many FW updates ago). I recently considered going down the dark evil path of buying a couple pedals but would rather keep it "in the box"

DIG Dual Digital Delay - strymon

I was looking at this new pedal from strymon.

Anyone have any suggestions to get the delay used by the guitar in the demo video?

I love their effects. I think you should be able to get that sound in the Axefx. The Vintage digital delay I find to be very clean on the repeats. I'm no expert on delays. May times I work off some of the preset patches. Like my dirty delay sound, such a beautiful delay. Good luck.

What is the problem you are having exactly? I have considered building a pedal board for when I don't have my axe (has never happened before) and I thought of getting that pedal because it can do Dual Delays like the axe. Select a digital delay the set it to dual. You will now have two separate delays that each can have their own note divisions (1.4 .8th ect) they can run parallel (never feeding into each other) or series where they do feed into each other in either order. each delay will have it's own pan, level feed back ect. I use dual delay almost exclusively

Wow, just shocked to hear this as every top pro I work with -- the world's most demanding delay and echo connoisseurs -- find that the Axe-Fx is the best sounding and most versatile unit they've ever encountered. (If I were at liberty to name the three people I am thinking of I think the Internet's eyes would pop out.)

The mix change ONLY altered wet/dry levels, so any other perceived difference is in your head.

How are your presets set up? Do you have the delay in front of the amp like a pre-effect or after the amp like a studio/post effect?

What amps do you prefer using?

Anyone have any suggestions to get the delay used by the guitar in the demo video?

Strymon makes great stuff for sure. I typically use the Vintage Delay (AFX) when dialing in more recursive ambient tones. Typically my signal chain is: VOL > DRV > AMP > CAB > REV > DLY > MLT-DLY > ENH

The delay feeding into the Multi-Delay can simulate kind of what that pedal is designed for. Follow up question though is are you looking for an "everything" pedal because that video demo sounded like it had the BlueSky reverb along with it also and of course, they're professional musicians using the gear so take that into consideration.

With delays my philosophy is to always start simple. Do an amp > cab > delay to set the stage for what type of decay you're looking for then shape the other effects around it. Does that make sense? Hopefully that was a tiny bit helpful..

Strymon are definitely geniuses when it comes to delays and verbs, i love their products and miss the instant inspiration of their presets....that being said, I'm sure there's nothing that can't be replicated as good or better in the Axe...if you know how to get it.

The Dig demos are cool, though...and it's all Dig, from what I can tell....just how intuitive that pedal is and how the controls work with one another.

Wow, just shocked to hear this as every top pro I work with -- the world's most demanding delay and echo connoisseurs -- find that the Axe-Fx is the best sounding and most versatile unit they've ever encountered. (If I were at liberty to name the three people I am thinking of I think the Internet's eyes would pop out.)

The mix change ONLY altered wet/dry levels, so any other perceived difference is in your head.

How are your presets set up? Do you have the delay in front of the amp like a pre-effect or after the amp like a studio/post effect?

Shoulda seen the blind shootouts with a 2290 I did. Peoples heads would explode. :)

I had a tough time getting some of the cloud & timeline sounds with the axe, but I eventually figured it out. When Strymon announced the Dig last week, I didn't even raise an eyebrow.. we definitely have those tones in our box without a doubt.

Hello all!

With sad news I must say I am struggling suddenly to get tones I love with my axe. Mainly where delays are concerned. I began having a tough time when the firmware updated the mix settings on the delay(Hopefully that wasn't just in my head. it was many FW updates ago). I recently considered going down the dark evil path of buying a couple pedals but would rather keep it "in the box"

DIG Dual Digital Delay - strymon

I was looking at this new pedal from strymon.

Peter Dyer (the keyboardist in strymon demos) is a friend of mine, I've heard his strymon use all over the place. It's nothing you can't do in the AxeFx with a little tweaking.

Mainly it's just finding the right delay type to Match the decay (or lack thereof) of the repeats. I would recommend playing with the EQ settings in the delay, especially in the top end to match the repeat decay and modulation to match those sounds.

I find many people like strymon a because of their "plug and play" mentality. Which is perfect for non-tweakers. As we all know the axe fx is not a plug and play box. The sounds are there.

For live use I go out of my Ultra into a Strymon Big Sky, both MIDI computer controlled, and the sound is pristine.

I can take a base level clean Ultra preset and without changing the preset, or anything within it, throw 128 different reverbs at it in an instant. Then take a favorite lead tone and do the same.

I become as familiar with my reverbs, ex: Great Hall, Asylum or Breathe, as I do my Axe Presets. Sometimes it's not a matter of the Axe not being able to do something as it is the power of multiplexing the units or approaching the concept differently.

A lot of this finnicky/nit-picky stuff goes straight out the window at a gig... One of my favorite delays is an old D1500 (12bit if I'm not mistaken), but now that its MIDI is caput it is out of the rack. Want to know what, it was EASILY replaced by SDD2000, Rev7, Intellifex, Ensoniq DP-Pro. As long as I get a repeat where I should in the program, that is all that is required. Yes - I can hear the difference. No - it doesn't matter a hill of beans when I'm playing with the band (especially with one drummer in particular ;) )

Strymon makes great stuff - have several of their pedals on my pedal-board that never gets to see the light of day anymore, since I've almost totally gone over to the AFX side, now.

I'm not the one to figure out this patch, but I can't imagine this can't be duplicated in the AFX, and then improved upon. Fremen is the wizard at this sort of patch, if you can enlist his help.

I'm not sure I'd use this patch-type in what I'm doing live, but I'd love to check it out, when you get it going. Cool tones.

please note if my post was taken incorrectly I apologize. Re-read my post and you should see that I didn't doubt the axe the slightest. I am commenting on my own ability to dial in tones...not the Axe Fx itself.....no need to sell me on it. I know its great, that's why I bought it.

I typically run them after the amp and cab. I run a parallel signal with just a delay after typically.
I tend to almost always use the Citrus models for medium gain tones, I never get into high gains.
For cleans I've been going between AC30 models , fender twins, and the shiva.

Any tips for how you could recreate those ambient echoes in the detailed demonstration when the time parameter is set to the golden spiral setting?

Use values from the Fibonaci sequence, 1:1.618.
interesting. gotta read up on that. how would you calculate the golden ratio for a main Delay of 250ms for example ?

edit...
did some quick reading... figured it out...gotta try that... ;)

Last edited:
Really there's two ways, depending on how you look at it.
If you're calling 250ms main delay the one you want constant (i.e., fit tempo of a song), then you'd want a subdivision of it... 250ms/1.618=~154.5ms (or 1/1.618=x/250). That would be the way it's generally done, but you could also do it the other way around, with a trailing delay of 404.5ms (1/1.618=250/x). Either is "correct," but feeding one delay into the other as opposed to two separate parallel delays will have a big impact on which way you might prefer.

Back
Top Bottom