Countdown 0.5...

Mu introduced the decimal positional number system, so could pertain to a version of something (seperated by a decimal)?

i hope its not a updated ultra... ive only had mine a few months... have spent all my music tokens, an will have to sell my house to keep up:( ?

I think the upper left photo is "Stairway to Heaven". And one photo that is not displayed on the page but is in the folder for images on that page is this:

pic-23.jpg

Which obviously means he's really f'n drunk. Or maybe this world turn the world upside down. No....wait...... he's just invented the greatest thing known to mankind....

THE BOTTOMLESS GLASS OF BEER!!!!

On the tenth day at Fractal Cliffy gave to me:

12 strummers strumming
11 boneheads typing
10 brains a screeching
9 ladies dancing (useless for me thanks)
8 maids a milking (also useless, gay over here)
7 songs a spinning
6 neurons flaying
FIVE HEMORRHOID RINGS
4 Count’s verse
3 algorithms
2 ears that love you
and a...
and a...
and a WHAT

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT

WHAT

(you bastard)

Here's my take (left to right, top row to bottom row):

1. Path to heavenly
2. Tone
3. 2048/Digital
4. Algorithm
5. Quickly overshadow (Quick has a shadow)
6. Cabinets/Stacks
7. Tasty/Fat
8. Footswitch
9. Universal
10. Fractal Audio:)
11. It's an HTC Hero, so I'd say "Hero"
12. Looper
13. Cell shading... is he going to use a Cell processor?!
14. Integrated Guitar/AxeFX
15. Flavors
16. Overdrive
17. Variable(s)
18. Presents (as in "Fractal Audio Presents:")
19. Compressed
20. Turn a page
21. Revolution
22. Impossible
23. Roll the dice
24. Modeling

OK, as an early adopter, I've been mulling this over. More importantly, I've been thinking about what kind of dude Cliff is.

Sorry for long-winded conjecture, but here's some facts/opinions for everyone to consider:

1. Cliff specializes in coding for the axe-fx hardware modeler. It's his baby. As far as I know he didn't code for the MFC or Axe-edit, and IMHO those products reflected that.
2. He doesn't release lesser versions of his modeling/FX hardware. All he's done is release a bigger/better modeling/fx "bomb", not a smaller one.
3. I don't see him letting the genie out of the bottle with a software-only modeler, it'd be cracked and stolen forevermore.
4. Cliff quickly outgrows the hardware he codes for; he reached the limits of the standard and ultra not long after they were released. 2011, 3 years into the Ultra, that fact becomes very important.
5. He outgrows hardware because his thinking and math evolve faster than chips do. He even outgrows his OWN thinking as much & as often as possible.
6. Why? -- because he's relentlessly unsatisfied with his past achievements. Cliff's innovations in sonic math are enough to blow up the guitar world 10 times over. No one has a bigger/better "guitar amp/fx bomb" than Cliff. But his arms race of innovation continues nonetheless.

7. That only means one thing: Cliff is clearly competing with himself, which explains the drop in new firmware updates for current hardware.
8. And whatever he's been coding for, he's very excited about it. Cliff is pumping his fist and falling back in his chair laughing both at what he's achieved and at our collective misery in not knowing what the hell it is.
9. All of this adds up to a singular reality -- apparently, Cliff has outdone himself. But what does THAT mean?

SUMMARY #1:
10. If insights 1-9 are indeed true, then I conclude the Ultra is Cliff's nemesis. It then follows that he has out-done himself and defeated the Ultra through superior weapons power (better math & better hardware).

So that's Cliff -- the story makes no sense inside our current paradigm of product design, marketing and profit margins, but Cliff lives in an alternate reality. Thank god.

Because Cliff shuns typical corporate strategy, everything above points to the possibility that he has NOT created a lesser modeling hardware unit (foot unit, economy unit, hybrid tube combo unit, outboard plugin hardware unit) and has NOT written a software-only product (axe-edit, plugin, axe-fx PC, some new silver-bullet firmware).

That leaves us with few options and the stark possibility that Cliff has been bent on obliterating the Axe-FX Ultra since its release. The Ultra -- a product that sells so well it barely keeps up with demand. Cliff is indeed living an alternate reality.

So what does that mean for the current countdown?

1. Previous product releases were done without fanfare, with limited stock on hand and were often announced before the product even existed. Fractal was plagued with forum whining (self included) for release dates, and upon release, reputation-denting 1/2-year delays perhaps because money and production weren't there for a big inventory.
2. Cliff isn't making that mistake this time -- at least we hope so.
3. If #1 is all we've known, why do a countdown in the first place?
4. The countdown exists because, possibly for the first time, Fractal has sold enough product to invest in producing real inventory of new product. G66 countdown confirms a possible second inventory, already shipped and ready. And more importantly, ready to replace current Ultra orders.

5. We know the countdown is for a big product release -- but -- the countdown could also be a 10-day window, allowing axe-fx users to "prepare" (sell current hardware) and untie themselves from the Fractal railroad tracks before a new Fractal train crashes through them and their precious hardware.
6. Cliff wants to help his customers and this might be his implicit way of doing it: He's run down inventory like anyone would. BUT with demand still strong, Cliff has preserved resale value for us, his loyal following, right up to the last 10 days. AND he's given us a window of time to prepare.
7. I can only conclude the message of help is hiding in the countdown. And that would be a very Cliff-like thing to do.

SUMMARY #2
1. Cliff's personality, product releases, and overall behavior imply he's blown the roof off the Ultra with a bigger/better "bomb".
2. The countdown, unlike previous releases, implies investment in new, non-software inventory, in stock in sufficient numbers to warrant a countdown that creates the buzz required to move enough inventory to re-stock bank accounts depleted by the massive effort.
3. It's so titantic a product, not only has Cliff neglected current hardware to develop it, it warrants a global countdown...a countdown and inventory strategy that helps the current Fractal faithful untie themselves from the fractal railroad (their beloved axe-fx units).

CONCLUSION:
IMHO I say dudes, get off the tracks..............the train is coming!!!

Well said solo-act. I just got a B-Stock Ultra, but to my surprise I've always look forward to new hardware releases of any company that's leading the pack (not Line6; their releases often are all hype). I personally hope its a killer firmware upgrade, but I do agree with several points you make in regards to Cliff outdoing himself, the hardware capacities, and anything else we can imagine. I do hope that it isn't a major let down. I mean, the hype alone of this thread wouldn't be replicated again if they did another countdown. This will set a precedent.

Ok, guys
I had a dream last night about this last product coming soon...
Mystery revealed : COMBO ATOMIC REACTOR AMP + AXE FX ULTRA INTEGRATED ALL IN ONE
Price : 2600 $
Wouldn't it be cool???

Ok, guys
Mystery revealed : COMBO ATOMIC REACTOR AMP + AXE FX ULTRA INTEGRATED ALL IN ONE
Wouldn't it be cool???

No, no really. I wouldn't have a need for it. Much rather see a rack-mount Atomic power amp before that.

Ok, guys
Wouldn't it be cool???

Just tape your Axe-Fx on top of the Atomic FR. It fits there pretty much perfectly. Not much sense combining the two into a single entity.

If we are really getting a new version of the Axe-Fx, the only thing that would make me buy it is if it has a significantly improved user interface, namely physical knobs for adjusting settings.

Back
Top Bottom