Controlled Feedback and Latency issues with FRFR cabs

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I'm using a pair of Mackie TH-15A cabs and having issues getting controlled feedback and seems like there's latency when playing. I know these aren't the greatest FRFR cabs but my band doesn't show up to practice or get enough shows for me to invest in a better pair of FRFR cabs. Anyone near Rochester, NY want to start a band? haha

I use controlled feedback in a few of my songs but when using FRFR cabs the feedback quickly turns into out of control feedback with much higher pitched squeal like microphone feedback. I know this is bc these are full range speakers with way more high frequencies than a traditional guitar cab but is there anyway to prevent it and still get controlled feedback?

My 2nd issue is that it feels like there's latency when playing, kind of like when I used to play my guitar through my old DAW. I know there's AD/DA converters and some processing going on inside the cabs but not sure if that's what's causing the issue or it could just be my imagination?

Overall I'm satisfied with the sound, volume, light weight and price of my Mackie TH-15A cabs

controlled feedback relies on mids. microphonic feedback means too much top

i would play some music through the mackies and find out of they need any corrective eq, which you can tweak in the global eq page. reducing 16k and maybe 8k might resolve your microphonic feedback issue. you may also discover that you can lower some bottom end as well. see what's happening in the midrange and adjust if necessary.

What simeon said... in the cab block you can try using the hi-cut and drop it down to like 6-8k ish area, this helps me a lot especially at volume.

if you do it in the global, then you won't have to edit every single patch. you can also use the other set of outputs (with global flat) for recording. basically the same result....just less work :)

As for the feedback: can you program an expression pedal to increase the amount of mids when you need it?Latency. I've something interesting to say about it.Recently I took my digital device and one active CLT to my friend Umberto Fiorentino, great fusion guitar player in the Lingomania (https://www.google.com/search?q=lingomania&gws_rd=ssl).He had never tried either of them, nor he has any bias about each of them.At first we connected the pre to his Fender 4x12" cab and he played a good bit. When we later used the CLR the first thing he said was he was perceiving a delay in the sound (which is the Italian way to refer to latency). Note that I was not perceiving anything, and I don't even when i'm playing myself. So I have to admit that some people are more sensitive to latency than others :)

Some PA speakers do this because of their tweeter, it creates a strong magnetic field while loud, and this interferes with your guitar pickups. Weird but true, and not an Axe problem. :(

Thanks everyone! I know neither issue I'm having has anything to do with the Axe-Fx II but it has the tools to correct some of the issues which is why it's the best purchase I've made, well maybe it's up there with my Labrador and Bassett Hound ;-)

I just bought a new Ibanez S521LVS today so I'm going to go try out some of the suggestions with my new toy :)

controlled feedback relies on mids. microphonic feedback means too much top

i would play some music through the mackies and find out of they need any corrective eq, which you can tweak in the global eq page. reducing 16k and maybe 8k might resolve your microphonic feedback issue. you may also discover that you can lower some bottom end as well. see what's happening in the midrange and adjust if necessary.

That worked! I lowered the first 2 and last 2 frequencies all the way down in the Global EQ and I no longer get the horrible high pitched out of control feedback :)

Any suggestions for what mid frequencies I should boost to help with controlled feedback and should I use pre or post EQ? I tried boosting the Amp Block mids and it helped bring out the singing sustaining controllable feedback but wondering if I can make it even easier to produce it?

Any suggestions for what mid frequencies I should boost to help with controlled feedback and should I use pre or post EQ?
Put a filter in your chain, set Type to Peaking, and give it a few dB of gain. Then sweep the frequency until you get the feedback you like best.

A couple of other things. a stereo signal from two different guitars can interfere with how controlled feedback and even cancel it out in the right conditions. The distance from the sound source can change how easily and at what frequency the guitar feeds back at.

The distance from the sound source can change how easily and at what frequency the guitar feeds back at.

I always put one of my cabs to the side of me instead of behind me, so I can hear it better and can get controlled feedback without having to turn around with my back facing the crowd. I just started using FRFR cabs and had the high pitched uncontrolled feedback issue but that's now resolved. I've always controlled feedback by the distance and angle to the cab and with gain. I never tried changing EQ until people suggested it on here and it definitely made it easier and seems like I can get even more notes to sustain with controlled feedback. I just need to figure out if I should boost the mids pre or post Amp Block

You'll probably get the most effect with the filter after the amp, but try both, and see what you like best.

I'm going to experiment with this now by putting Filter 1 Block before the Amp Block and Filter 2 Block after the Amp Block and have Scene 1 with Filter 1 on and Filter 2 off and the opposite for Scene 2.

Back
Top Bottom