Commercial U2 preset packs

The first part of the clip just sounds like you need to turn the volume on the guitar down a bit.

According to the manual, the setting should be Left Only.

upload_2017-10-10_15-4-43.png

By setting it to stereo, you're cutting the signal in half, according to this post;

"...the input to stereo actually halves the signal of each channel"

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...o-input-sounds-different.121188/#post-1442650

which would explain why it doesn't sound so driven.

At least that's my take on it. I'm sure @edo will chime in.

Thanks a lot for the infos...
You know what ? I don't want to be a grouchy constant complainer but I find the Axe-FX to be a very complex gear and the manual to be rather difficult to wade through, which doesn't help...

I came back to my axe-FX and tested the Left Only mode then the L+R Sum mode and then the Stereo mode (input 1 mode).
In Stereo mode : no excessive drive
In L+R Sum mode : more drive than in stereo mode
In Left Only mode : much more drive than in stereo mode
... ??

...I find the Axe-FX to be a very complex gear...
It is. Fortunately, you don't have to wander through all its halls of complexity to come up with great tones. But it's still more complex than an amp and a couple of stomp boxes. There's no way around that. A gourmet kitchen is more complex than a kitchen that serves burgers and fries.

...and the manual to be rather difficult to wade through...
Some people aren't wired for easy manual-reading. It helps if you have some experience with guitar processors, because you don't have to learn the basic concepts of using them. Likewise, a gourmet kitchen can be overwhelming if you haven't cooked before.

The truth is, Fractal manuals are comprehensive and especially well-written.

I came back to my axe-FX and tested the Left Only mode then the L+R Sum mode and then the Stereo mode (input 1 mode).
In Stereo mode : no excessive drive
In L+R Sum mode : more drive than in stereo mode
In Left Only mode : much more drive than in stereo mode
... ??
In Left Only mode, the Axe is expecting just one input signal, so it leaves your input level as is.

In L&R Sum mode, it's expecting two signals to be added together, so it cuts each signal in half to maintain the input level.

In Left Only mode, the Axe is expecting just one input signal, so it leaves your input level as is.

In L&R Sum mode, it's expecting two signals to be added together, so it cuts each signal in half to maintain the input level.

If the input 1 is front, my understanding it is mono signal. So when we set as stereo instead of left only, I assume it only change the level of signal but not the tone, right?

It is. Fortunately, you don't have to wander through all its halls of complexity to come up with great tones. But it's still more complex than an amp and a couple of stomp boxes. There's no way around that. A gourmet kitchen is more complex than a kitchen that serves burgers and fries.

Some people aren't wired for easy manual-reading. It helps if you have some experience with guitar processors, because you don't have to learn the basic concepts of using them. Likewise, a gourmet kitchen can be overwhelming if you haven't cooked before.

The truth is, Fractal manuals are comprehensive and especially well-written.

Now, I understand why I like Mc Do and Burger King...
Indeed, Axe-Fx is not for noobies...

Thanks for the Infos. BTW, in stereo mode, what does it expect ?

Reactions: Rex
Indeed, Axe-Fx is not for noobies...
But the Axe-Fx can be for noobies with patience. As you work your way through it, you'll have plenty of "Oh, now I get it!" moments. Those moments will add up. Before long, you'll find yourself wondering why you thought it was so hard. :)

Are there good tutorials for idiot noobies like me ?

My problem is that I began building tones with VST plugins.
I've been working with them loaded in Cubase and with a simple audio interface (ROLAND Quad Capture), since years. I'm so used to these plugins (many of them) and I spent so much time learning to use them that I don't have the courage to spend hours reading and testing. I thought Axe-FX manuals would explain the basis much more than they do. I was wrong and I know I'll have to spend hours and evenings and nights testing things... That's just what I didn't expect when I bought the Axe-FX.
I knew it would be difficult to master all the effect parameters but I dindn't know it would be so hard to understand the multiple ways to connect this gear and to deal with inputs...
Lots of article in the WIKI are down...
Infomrations about the way to use the Axe-FX are put in multiple threads. I mean it's not easy when you're new to this gear and to the forum.
I'll do with it.

Last edited:
If the input 1 is front, my understanding it is mono signal. So when we set as stereo instead of left only, I assume it only change the level of signal but not the tone, right?
That is: Right... except that your reduced input level won't drive the amp as hard, and you will get the change in tone that comes from reducing level into the amp.

Hi Yek,
Thanks. I'll read this and I'll try to extract from this huge amount of informations what I need to do.
Axe-FX is really a world that you need to adapt to. Didn't expect it could be so difficult...

PS : I already read your guides. Very useful for building tones !

Thanks !
... I already have this guide. I know how to build an audio path and how to build tones with blocks and so on... I use Axe-Edit and everything's fine to tweak FX parameters (I'll just have to get accustomed to these parameters that are quite different from the VSTs I use. Most of the VSTs refer to a real pedal or rack effect they simulate. With Axe-Fx, you have to build blocks that simulate the pedal you wanna simulate... and yek's guides are really useful for that... The amps and the distorsions guides.)
What I don't master is the connection options and the I/O settings.
I also don't understand how to deal with presets each time the firmware is updated... I know about Fractool... but I don't understand how and when to use it...
Another problem I began to deal with is how to set my MIDI Foot Controller to change presets and then scenes inside a preset... I spent hours looking for informations on Google and here. I finally found the infos and I bought the UNO EPROM for my Behringer FCB 1010 and I'll set the parameters with a soft that can be used with this EPROM...
So I think I'm improving my knowledge of this super complex gear... but still have to learn for connections, I/O settings and usage of older presets with new firmwares...
Cheers
ZOLAIVE

I know how to build an audio path and how to build tones with blocks and so on...
Then you already know the most important stuff. :)

What I don't master is the connection options and the I/O settings.
Good news! That is a much smaller set of knowledge to learn.

Grab the manual and go through the section called "Connections." Luckily, it's half pictures. :)

Don't understand it all? No worries. Just absorb as much as you can without cooking your brain. When you're done, you'll have more refined questions. Then start a new thread on the forum and ask a question.

I also don't understand how to deal with presets each time the firmware is updated...
Each new firmware has release notes. The release notes will tell you if there's something you have to do to your presets.

Another problem I began to deal with is how to set my MIDI Foot Controller to change presets and then scenes inside a preset... I spent hours looking for informations on Google and here. I finally found the infos and I bought the UNO EPROM for my Behringer FCB 1010 and I'll set the parameters with a soft that can be used with this EPROM...
See? Progress already! :)

Input 1 should be set to "left only" (as long as you're only plugging into the front input). Do you have anything plugged into input / output 2??

OK I checked everything and... Many thanks to you Edo, 'cause I think you found out what causes the excess of drive and lows. Apparently, it indeed comes from the I/O page. Well, the Input 1 mode was set to "Left only". I changed it to "stereo" and the drive and lows problem has gone away !
I believe I had not noticed these defaults on the other presets because I had no audio reference to compare with (wheareas I'm so used to hear Edge core tone and I listened a lot to your samples...).
So, I APOLOGIZE for claiming that this problem couldn't come from my Axe-FX settings. I was wrong (my Mea Culpa).
I guess those who had to deal with the same tone problems should also check their I/O settings. Maybe, they didn't had such excessive lows and drive as I had.
Here's the sample of the tone I got when the Input 1 was unproperly set to "Left Only" so that you can hear the dirty sound I had !
First part is the dirty tone (sorry for the bad playing at the beginning), second part is the tone after setting Input 1 mode to Stereo.

BTW, I just checked your clip and I don't think it sounds that much distorted. It does sound a lot bassier though, and that might be the problem. Maybe your guitar (pickups, woods or else) just gives the axe a bigger signal on the bass frequencies which makes the patch sound less defined.. I'd probably adjust the presets accordingly, so lower the bass, increase the bass cut in cab block.
If you happen to record a D.I. clip I can take a look here so I can tell you how to improve the core tone..

Back
Top Bottom