Commercial U2 preset packs

Yeah...although a great guitar, that looks like a different animal for U2 tones...just my feeling.
Sadly, no budget for a new guitar at the moment. Hopefully in a few months.

But I'm sure you realize its not that the guitar won't produce U2 tones. Its just that they require your extra knowledge and time, beyond your basic preset pack... And you are in demand in that way, which is great.

The presets sound great in the demo tracks. Still, I've had such bad experiences with not being able to tailor presets to my particular guitar and pickups. I would love to know if your presets are easy to work with in that way. Individual presets would be great and outstanding!

I'm not familiar with your guitar, so I can't tell for sure how my presets will translate through it. Most of edge's guitars are low to medium output pickups, and my presets are optimized for those kinds of instruments. If your guitar has modern output pickups, you can adjust presets by lowering the amp block input trim or the drive knob. Obviously, if you're trying to mimic a strat in quack position with a modern bridge hum bucker, there's not much you can do about it!

sample vertigo pack - pride on q8.02 using my strat

DUDE!!! That was awesome!!! JUst got my ax fx last week and am totally overwhelmed,LOve U2 and would like to visit w you about what the possibilities are.Edge is one of the main reasons I got this thing.PLease get back w me.Thx alot,Todd

DUDE!!! That was awesome!!! JUst got my ax fx last week and am totally overwhelmed,LOve U2 and would like to visit w you about what the possibilities are.Edge is one of the main reasons I got this thing.PLease get back w me.Thx alot,Todd

I'm not sure I understand what you want to know..!

Hey Edo,
i checked your presets...very nice work
You wrote: "If you plan on using the presets live, you should probably center-pan the cabs for a better result."
Do you center pan when playing live? Why should this help for a better result ?
Thank you !

Edo,
Thx for responding.I'm wanting to learn how to get the same sound as Edge.I have the Herdim picks that I ordered from Amazon.I was using a Vox AC30 w a TC Electronics delay to get the right sound for Bad but I got my money back from Guitar Center and ordered the Ax Fx which I just got in I just don't know where to start.I don't know how to build my own preset yet but I see others have presets on AxeChange and I see commercial U2 presets but I don't know what they are or how to get them.Is yours a commercial preset or is it something I can use?Just trying to get a good understanding of what's up.Thank you in advance for any help.Todd

Hey Edo,
i checked your presets...very nice work
You wrote: "If you plan on using the presets live, you should probably center-pan the cabs for a better result."
Do you center pan when playing live? Why should this help for a better result ?
Thank you !

I do center pan my presets live. The reason is that you want everyone in the audience to hear the same mix, so if I had some presets panned L and some panned R, the mix would be inconsistent for the audience on the sides in the venue! You could still use some panning, but within a -/+10 range, not +/-75, because otherwise the guitar would almost disappear on the side that's not being used!

Thanks! I've just had a quick run-through of the presets and scenes (I&E Pack), but I think they sound fantastic. So glad you decided to share these

just coming back to the axe after some months away
excited by the prospect of getting hold of your patches Edo (finally ;)

having a look at your notes sheet for each pack, i was wondering if you could possibly add what guitar and pick-up selection you use for each scene ie: where it devicates dfrom strat/quack

Reactions: edo
Edo... your band is killing it! The "You're the Best Thing About Me" performance video is perfect.

just coming back to the axe after some months away
excited by the prospect of getting hold of your patches Edo (finally ;)

having a look at your notes sheet for each pack, i was wondering if you could possibly add what guitar and pick-up selection you use for each scene ie: where it devicates dfrom strat/quack

If you go to the support page there are pdf's with suggested guitars / guitars used in the clips!

Hi Edo,
As I said on U2GT, I have (and i'm not the only one) serious problems with yout preset packs.
I'm a bedroom player (this means that I don't play loud), I've got a Fender Strat Select with pickups sets quite low from the strings, I use Herdim, I play slightly (I don't touch strings hard when arpegiating), I have bought an axe-FX II XL+ (only because I wanted to use your presets to get the tone of the samples you put on your pack internet page), I set the main input level correctly... BUT all the tones I get for the "clean crunchy" early songs (AIWIY, Pride, WTSHNN...) are just crap (lots of drive, lots of lows that makes the sound muddy).
I lowered the input level in each preset, I lowed the amount of gain in the SDD module to compare. It's better but not very good. Anyway, therre's still a huge amount of lows that makes the tone very muddy. I talked about that with other U2 guitar players who has the same problem. Each of them had to tweak yor presets. Some says it has to do with the factory IR's that are used in your presets.
The point is that I couldn't get the clear, well defined tones of your samples with your presets.
I get much better tones with my plugins.
Could you help please ?
Thanks
ZOLAIVE

Hi Edo,
As I said on U2GT, I have (and i'm not the only one) serious problems with yout preset packs.
I'm a bedroom player (this means that I don't play loud), I've got a Fender Strat Select with pickups sets quite low from the strings, I use Herdim, I play slightly (I don't touch strings hard when arpegiating), I have bought an axe-FX II XL+ (only because I wanted to use your presets to get the tone of the samples you put on your pack internet page), I set the main input level correctly... BUT all the tones I get for the "clean crunchy" early songs (AIWIY, Pride, WTSHNN...) are just crap (lots of drive, lots of lows that makes the sound muddy).
I lowered the input level in each preset, I lowed the amount of gain in the SDD module to compare. It's better but not very good. Anyway, therre's still a huge amount of lows that makes the tone very muddy. I talked about that with other U2 guitar players who has the same problem. Each of them had to tweak yor presets. Some says it has to do with the factory IR's that are used in your presets.
The point is that I couldn't get the clear, well defined tones of your samples with your presets.
I get much better tones with my plugins.
Could you help please ?
Thanks
ZOLAIVE

mmmmm, that's weird.. The sample clips I post on the website do use the factory IR's, so I don't think that would be the problem. Different instruments can surely produce different results, but unless your strat has a set of yngwee pickups with 4 times the volume of a single coil, you should still be able to get a decent / fairly similar tone to the clip. From what you describe, I think it might have to do more with your I/O settings..
I would need to know your setup to begin with: what are you plugging into? What are your I/O settings? Feel free to send me a message via my website so you can send me audio samples and screenshots of your I/O setup and I can take a look at it.

I have the opposite experience. I can use the presets 'right out of the box', with both my headphones and with my AC30.

The key for me, was to set the Output 1 (headphones) level to about 1/2 and Output 2 (AC30) at full, which is unity. I was having issues with volume levels with my AC30, but once I set my amp. up with the master volume at full and power scaling at full, as per Edo's suggestions, everything works perfectly. When I switch between Humbuckers and single coils, I need to nudge the power scaling just a bit to increase the volume.

I think it has to do with your I/O levels, as @edo suggested.

Last edited:
Hi everyone , not always easy thing to do have the perfect feel of the sound at different levels , setting preset levels is part of the thing ,
Austin Buddy has posted a very useful video on that topic with few hints , explanations ....for him ; Output 1 should be set to 11h30 or noon....
i m using a lot Edo s presets ....they are amazing , my axe is plug into fr/fr
So i have a question myself.....what are the best I/O settings for an Axe plug into Fr/Fr ????
Thanks for answer ...
Fafa

I'll RE-check everything.
What is weird is that I have no problem with the Factory presets and other presets (no problem with Fremen presets or with the presets I downloaded from axechange.fractalaudio.com)...

OK I checked everything and... Many thanks to you Edo, 'cause I think you found out what causes the excess of drive and lows. Apparently, it indeed comes from the I/O page. Well, the Input 1 mode was set to "Left only". I changed it to "stereo" and the drive and lows problem has gone away !
I believe I had not noticed these defaults on the other presets because I had no audio reference to compare with (wheareas I'm so used to hear Edge core tone and I listened a lot to your samples...).
So, I APOLOGIZE for claiming that this problem couldn't come from my Axe-FX settings. I was wrong (my Mea Culpa).
I guess those who had to deal with the same tone problems should also check their I/O settings. Maybe, they didn't had such excessive lows and drive as I had.
Here's the sample of the tone I got when the Input 1 was unproperly set to "Left Only" so that you can hear the dirty sound I had !
First part is the dirty tone (sorry for the bad playing at the beginning), second part is the tone after setting Input 1 mode to Stereo.

Back
Top Bottom