Coming Soon

Looks like getting my carol Ann OD3r to talk midi with the new FX8 is not going to be a big deal.

All I need is an MI01 interface box From Carol-Ann.

The new OD3r’s do not use contact switching, the foot controller ‘talks’ to the amp via a serial protocol. Think of it like an RS232 data stream. Each byte of information contains an instruction. It uses a 3 pin XLR connector, Pin 1 is ground, Pin 2 is serial data and Pin 3 is 12VDC. The MI01 converts midi program change instructions to the serial protocol the amp understands.

All I can say is that the combination of a Carol-Ann amp with the Fractal Audio FX8 will become (IMO) the ultimate tube lover's gig rig.

seriously man ... I am beyond jazzed at the possibility of combining my favorite tube amp company with my favorite digital Preamp/Multi-Fx Processor company to create a best in class portable gig rig..

Simply outstanding!

Picture of the The MI01 converter Box

1555278_608921672513929_1486470821_n_zpsd290c654.jpg

Looks like I shall be letting my G-System go, for the (very) rare occasions my Lonestar Special comes out to play.

I have seen relays, but I still haven't seen any confirmation on whether this has Midi or not...Cliff can you confirm or deny?
Also...drive blocks yay or nay?!

Thanks I just saw this in an earlier thread from Cliff.. 'USB for remote editing with free FX8-Edit software'.
Looks good . Cant wait.

i am/was just about to order MFC 101 Mark III...now i am thinking maybe it makes more sense to get the FX8 and use it also as a midi controller for XL.
so maybe i wont have to travel to europa with the Axe Fx and in some cases i would just take the FX8 with me and use the amp they have in the venue or studio.

Had a thought whilst perusing the Gear Page in regards to why FAS wasn't offering amp/cab modelling features in the FX8 (some speculate the reason is that FAS doesn't want to cannibalize their market or potentially hurt their profit margin) and thought I'd share here to see what y'all think-

If Cliff created an amp/cab unit to work in conjunction with the FX8, and the combined prices exceeded the XL's (both units at the previously supposed $1800 price tag just for the FX8 ) it could increase FAS's profitability and negate the "cannibalize" risk entirely. It would also (most likely) devastate the competition, and allow customers to control their debt by buying a piece at a time as finances allow.

IMO, that would be a very smart move on Cliff's part, and I'd buy in in a NY second....

I suspect it's likely that there is very little call for a standalone amp+cab footpedal. There is a pretty distinct homogenous group out there who've been calling for a professional level M-Series/G-System killer. It's been an idea that has been amongst the guitarist conciousness for the best part of 5 years, (the M13 came out in 2008 and I've certainly noticed a call for something better even since then!!) and a there is a very clear demand. Axe FX owners are *not* the target market with this I feel; it's pretty obvious from what Cliff said on page 1 that it is targeted at real amp users.

imho.

Checked again, I don't see anything confirming midi or drive blocks. Am I blind? Can someone enlighten me with a quote that confirms this?

You can bet Drive blocks will be there, after all what is the point of a 4CM unit with out the most important FX all them all... DRIVES!.

But, if DRIVES are not included, this could turn out to be a huge failed unit.

Checked again, I don't see anything confirming midi or drive blocks. Am I blind? Can someone enlighten me with a quote that confirms this?

midi yes -- it supports program changes, CC commands and scenes (See post 45)

Not sure about drive blocks -- I used a G-system as well as a G-Major 2 for years and they do not have drive blocks either.

Typically I have used these units with multichannel amps with effects loops. I have used G-system and G-major 2 extensively with my Bludotone dumble amps. Units like the G-system and FX8 have additional loops so you can introduce your own pedals (which I never used with those amps).

One of the main reasons why I never purchased an M13 was because it had drive blocks which I would never in a million years use and I personally thought/think they sound like crap.

The AF2 has some great drive blocks (BB, AC, RC and Zendrive) which would be great to have (in case I decide to use with my Rambler) but not even close to being a deal breaker.

The only pedals I would consider adding to the Carol Ann rig would be a Klon and maybe the Hermida Dover Drive (which is beyond awesome by the way).

Last edited:
Reactions: ALE
Allright I haven't been on here in ages, sold my Ultra a long time ago and back to amps. Spending way too much money on my Friedmans, Gigrigs and whatnot.

But now you got me back in here, better deliver this quick, I need it!!

i am/was just about to order MFC 101 Mark III...now i am thinking maybe it makes more sense to get the FX8 and use it also as a midi controller for XL.
so maybe i wont have to travel to europa with the Axe Fx and in some cases i would just take the FX8 with me and use the amp they have in the venue or studio.

I just did the opposite thing, yesterday I ordered the mfc-101 mk III, a mission engineering sp-1 "chrome" and the dark black label set from stomplabels (ooooh stealth terminator rig) but anyways, I saw the post about the fx8 after I ordered and figured I needed the mfc-101 anyways and if it's *that* good, I'll just have to buy that one too when the time (money) is right :D the guitar tone these days... yes Eastwood - I feel lucky :)

Looking at the picture of the FX8 I think I detect some usability features that I'd like to see implemented in the MFC as well.

- Hold an IA to switch it to Y.
- Press SCENE followed by one of the 8 IAs to switch to a specific scene.

Have MI0I on order as well. I was a little concerned about MIDI operation with my CA amp but with The new Axe Fx8 on horizon. Gonna be awsome an awsome combo.

Looks like getting my carol Ann OD3r to talk midi with the new FX8 is not going to be a big deal.

All I need is an MI01 interface box From Carol-Ann.

The new OD3r’s do not use contact switching, the foot controller ‘talks’ to the amp via a serial protocol. Think of it like an RS232 data stream. Each byte of information contains an instruction. It uses a 3 pin XLR connector, Pin 1 is ground, Pin 2 is serial data and Pin 3 is 12VDC. The MI01 converts midi program change instructions to the serial protocol the amp understands.

All I can say is that the combination of a Carol-Ann amp with the Fractal Audio FX8 will become (IMO) the ultimate tube lover's gig rig.

seriously man ... I am beyond jazzed at the possibility of combining my favorite tube amp company with my favorite digital Preamp/Multi-Fx Processor company to create a best in class portable gig rig..

Simply outstanding!

Picture of the The MI01 converter Box

1555278_608921672513929_1486470821_n_zpsd290c654.jpg

Those two things right there. That would be huge!

Looking at the picture of the FX8 I think I detect some usability features that I'd like to see implemented in the MFC as well.

- Hold an IA to switch it to Y.
- Press SCENE followed by one of the 8 IAs to switch to a specific scene.

I know for a fact Alan is on the case.

Pure awesomeness!!!!!!

I have a big outdoor show end of July...would love to have one of these suckers for the gig.

Have MI0I on order as well. I was a little concerned about MIDI operation with my CA amp but with The new Axe Fx8 on horizon. Gonna be awsome an awsome combo.

Last edited:
Holy Crap! I'm a bass player and this is my dream. I have high end basses, amps, cabs and hate using multi-effect pedals that are built to a mass market budget price point rather than building it for reliability, sound, versatility. Out-freaking-stanging!!! Almost afraid to go look at the effects list to see if this would really do what I want.

Back
Top Bottom