CLIFF'S NEW 6.0 CLIP

Been even funnier if the whole thing was the Axe and people were saying one half or the other sounded better. :)

The first half is a Bludotone Ojai with a Loopalator in the loop. This amp is supposedly a copy of Robben Ford's Dumble. Beyond that I have no comment.

I've done this before as well, though mainly with 48 vs. 96 folks....given them the SAME EXACT CLIP labeled as "96" and "48" and watched them go into hysterics about how AMAZING the 96 clip sounds compared to the 48. And how much more "depth" and "sparkle" it has...Pft!

Also can't tell you how many times I've pretended to adjust an EQ or compressor and had people swear "oh, that's a million times better!"

There are a lot of scientific articles on this sort of phenomenon...it's how the brain works.

Wow after listening and trying to be unbiased and objective I did tend to think the second half sounded noticeably better. I was a bit disappointed because I heard the first half was the axe. After Cliff's reply though I'm pumped for 6.0!

+1 :mrgreen

LOL, this is just the same thing in reverse. You WANT the Axe-Fx to sound better so your perception has been influenced.

So now we are free to bias people by lying about our A/B tests. Previously this was considered a no-no around the forums (not just this one) but now that Cliff did it, it's ok... ironic isn't it. Note that I found it pretty funny and am not offended.

With that said, I really like the clips Cliff has been posting as of late (I admit, I'm not fond of the 'real' tones used to match but that's beside my point). Assuming the others aren't a deception ;-> it really shows the dedication he has to getting as close to or better than the 'real thing'. I'm looking forward to 6.0 and running comparisons among real amps, FRFR, in the room and mic-ed, as well as hearing what others come up with. I do use the Axe exclusively but I still get goosebumps when I play or hear 'real' amps (Bassman, AC30, various tweeds, Trainwreck, ... played through a Marshall yesterday that was really nice - albeit not with a familiar guitar). I suppose that is what I'm looking for in the Axe or any gear for that matter.

Tomorrow might be a lot of fun!

The first half is a Bludotone Ojai with a Loopalator in the loop. This amp is supposedly a copy of Robben Ford's Dumble. Beyond that I have no comment.

Thanks Cliff, that's good info to know, and I have heard good things (second-hand, as I never heard one in person) about those amps.

Bill

I loved both clips. The idea I'll be getting just 1 of them ( for free !!! ) is enough to make me smile.
Cliff, FAS, I salute you.

No, only I'm allowed. It's called executive privilege, LOL.

Actually in some A/B testing I would want to lie :0). Sometimes it's really easy to pick out the AxeFX - not b/c of the tone per se but because of reverb and/or room settings which can make the Axe easily identifiable. Although I haven't tried it I wonder if mic-ing an FRFR in the same room as an amp and turning off reverb/room settings on both Axe and 'real' amp is sufficient to mask that AxeFX signature sound (if I may call it that). Or at least add the same post processing from the same gear.

<offtopic>Hey, so you're online... maybe you could just post 6.0 right now instead of waiting for tomorrow :0)</offtopic>

Yup, it is very easy to influence perception. It's been proven time and time again but people still don't believe it.

True, but you still can't say for sure if what you said influenced how people heard and reacted to the clip. It may have. It may not have. Whether the first half of the clip is the real amp or the modeler doesn't really matter to me. As I was listening, I wondered if maybe you were trying to influence people's perception by lying about which was which. I also wondered if maybe there was no difference between part 1 and 2. I did my best to put all of that aside and just listen and report on what I heard. I still think the second part sounds a little bit smoother and a bit more compressed. But the whole thing sounded good to me. You could change your pick attack or your left hand finger pressure and make significant changes to the sound. In other words, I didn't really know what accounted for the differences I (thought I) heard, but I did try to describe them as best I could. Oh...and I was listening through my computer speakers, which, of course, isn't ideal either--although they certainly don't suck.

Jeff

wow. dude you have golden ears, should call guiness and get in there. none of that in a mix or crowded club would be noticible.

That is a pretty ridiculous comment/post. Funny_Polymath may have been listening on $3,000 monitors in a well-treated room and just MAY have a better trained ear than yours to dicern differences in frequencies etc. I have heard many comparison clips here where I could notice a difference on my studio monitors(Tannoy Precision 8's) and chose not to say anything because of some of the guys here, like you apparently, who slam anyone who doesn't just kneel and pray to every new feature or Axe clip etc. Keep in mind, it constructive criticism that HELPS a great designer/creator like Cliff to push the envelope.
Just because you didn't hear what someone else did isn't his problem...it's yours.

cheers,
Steve

i honestly couldn't hear any difference between the two...
Granted I used PC speakers powered by an onboard sound chip.

I think it's pretty hard anyway to hear a difference in these kind of setups. The only real test to me is L/R panning a reamp of each so you know it was played exactly the same, and even then your left and right ear often do not have the *exact* same perception.

Back
Top Bottom