Cannot, for the life of me, get comfy holding a pick.

I can't remember the name but someone makes a type of pick with a swivel attachment that goes in your palm. Maybe someone can remember the name. As far as holding I was always taught to make a fist, then shove the pick between thumb and first finger. First finger should remain completely curled. Those pics early in the thread with finger extended are not even close to what I've been doing. Might work okay for acoustic strumming but if you want to play lead you probably want to curl your finger.

Those little jazz pics are hard to hold onto imo, lots of people like them but I've never been able to get comfortable with them. Yellow Dunlop for the win

I've shot a quick video of me picking a few strings and strumming, Photobucket says I have to let them process it before I can link it. I have used the tortex picks as well, I think they are my favorite "standard" sized pick.

You've got your pointer finger bent almost horizontal to the pick. That's exactly how it's taught in many textbooks, but I find I have better control and a more natural feel if I relax that finger and straighten it a bit (see the picture I posted above). That also relaxes my hand and makes it more available for string muting.

I hold the pick a bit closer to the tips of my finger and thumb, but I also use finger motion in my picking, not just wrist and elbow movements. I used the Dunlop Tortex Jazz picks for many years, but switched to the Ultex Jazz III XL a couple of years ago. They have the same pointy shape as the Jazz III, but are closer in size to a standard pick. My hand stays relaxed a bit more with those. The raised lettering on the Jazz III style picks adds a lot to the grip too. I still prefer standard sized picks for acoustic playing, mostly Fender celluloid Mediums.

Think of the point of the pick as an extension of your index finger/fingernail. You'll find the sweet spot but this should help get you headed in a more comfortable position.

When you learn how to strum correctly, it won't matter which pick do you have and how do you hold it. You'll be able even to play just with your fingers if there's no any pick laying around.

Just play, practice and listen to what do you need to improve. Cover a few songs which have a lot of strumming. The feeling will come naturally if you practice and you hear yourself.

Have you tried V-picks?

There's a thread here about them, and they do have a pronounced chirp, but for me, they helped solved some problems.

I've since purchase a ton of others and am happy with a variety of good picks. Most of them are outrageously expensive, thankfully. When you find a great pick, stick with it.

Also, I regularly play with my fingers. I use Nailtiques 2+ and take supplements (silica, etc.). Note: I'm primarily a classical guitarist. And yeah, caring for nails isn't exactly enjoyable...

Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, more recently Richie Kotzen are playing pickless. John5 is playing at lease hybrid picking.

And you don't even need nails, the fleshy side and tips of thumb and fingers are enough to get a clear tone. Neither do you need to yank the strings. It's all a matter of technique.

I do use a pick, the same way harb does, slightly more bent index than guitarded does. But it really is, whatever floats your boat.

And you don't even need nails, the fleshy side and tips of thumb and fingers are enough to get a clear tone. Neither do you need to yank the strings. It's all a matter of technique.

Right. I can't get next to that technique myself, at least not like those guys do, but I think over time you develop callouses that make it easier much the same way you do on your fretting fingertips.

The picks I use since the begining are Dunlop Tortex, good grip and widely available:
TortexStandard-11.png
Orange 0.60 for classical, yellow 0.73 for acoustic, blue 1.00 and purple 1.14 for electric.
Lately I enjoy playing bass picks for guitar, they have three identical tips, fewer things to worry about:
8313984_orig.jpg

image.jpeg

Have you tried V-picks?

There's a thread here about them, and they do have a pronounced chirp, but for me, they helped solved some problems.

I've since purchase a ton of others and am happy with a variety of good picks. Most of them are outrageously expensive, thankfully. When you find a great pick, stick with it.

Also, I regularly play with my fingers. I use Nailtiques 2+ and take supplements (silica, etc.). Note: I'm primarily a classical guitarist. And yeah, caring for nails isn't exactly enjoyable...
Have you tried V-picks?

b AL.s

as my aged hands deteriorate from arthritis, carpal, etc., it has has become increasingly painful to grip a pick, and the above choices from www.strum-n-comfort.com have been a lifesaver.

And ditto on the jazz picks. Tried them last year. Anybody want to buy six reds and six black ones? I think the black ones are Petrucci sigs.

Currently using chickenpicks regular thick ones. Maybe not the thing to start out with, but I seem to like thicker ones. I don't like the huge triangular ones.

I'm using this position holding the pick between my thumb and middle finger. Gives me better control over pinch harmonics. Bad for hybrid picking/finger styles but good enough for me.

pickposition.JPG

I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and moved to thicker picks a couple of years ago. I would recommend thicker picks to anyone regardless of the size/style of the pick, especially beginners. Wish I would have switched years ago, so much more control and a lot more comfortable for both rhythm and lead. I've found my hand and forearm are much more relaxed. After trying several brands and sizes I finally chose the Dunlop 1.5mm John Petrucci signature picks. A bit larger than the standard jazz picks which make them a nice compromise on size.

Back
Top Bottom