Can anyone recommend a decent good quality patch cable??

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone one knows of any good quality and fairly priced patch cables for their axe fx 2. I was looking at some Neutrik ones which are TRS but they are fairly expensive here in the UK.

Do they have to be TRS? Is it better than mono? I'm running the axe thru my mark V with the 4CM.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I may be a minority on this subject....but get good quality cables.....but to spend an arm and a leg for super high end I think is complete waste of money. I want good cables that are very durable. For me that is Spectraflex. I believe they probably make what you want as well. Or George L's for custom lengths will do great. Don't waste money on Monster or and other "high end" cables. My 2 cents.......

Go to Studio Spares and order the Klotz or Sommer low capacitance cable. They do a few different versions so make sure its the low capacitance version. The cable is Excellent for passive pickup guitar to amp. It is also excellent as a patch cable. Can you solder? If not I think they sell them with Nuetrik ends for a good price. I don't think you need TRS in your setup.

Cable - Guitar at Studiospares

http://www.studiospares.com/cable-g...6Cf24RQDG0F9EiQ/01cilhF/fJaQTyqR 4d6C6Mbxxw==

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-jack/monojack-monojack-1m-black-neutrik-sommer/invt/579370/

Last edited:
I may be a minority on this subject....but get good quality cables.....but to spend an arm and a leg for super high end I think is complete waste of money. I want good cables that are very durable. For me that is Spectraflex. I believe they probably make what you want as well. Or George L's for custom lengths will do great. Don't waste money on Monster or and other "high end" cables. My 2 cents.......

I pretty much agree with you. However I have noticed that the first cable in the chain (guitar to amp or pedals...) does make a difference with single coils. As long as the first cable in the chain is relatively low capacitance then your raw guitar signal hits the amp/pedal nicely. After that it seems to me that the benefits are negligible.

I'm not saying to go cheapy......just the awesomeness to cost ratio quickly turns! Get something good....but some people spend WAY TOO MUCH ON CABLES. That and I hate Monster(even though they are not super pricey)......

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
I highllllllllly recommend the Sommer GrindyCop Beast
Lava Cable - The GrindyCop Beast

I know it sounds rediculously like some heavy metal cable name, but it's amazingly punchy, clear and articulate. The best cable I've ever had and I've tried tons high and low end.

From BuyAnalogMan "Analog Man carries the Sommer GrindyCop Beast Guitar Cable. This is the best sounding guitar cable we have found, and I really like it's flexibility and how it does not kink or get tangled up. "

What tremonti said. Cables are either
1. Low end garbage that will rob you of high end and make noises and go bad after a week or two
2. Well priced good quality cables that will serve you well and are transparent and rugged (planet waves, george L's, mogami, prs cables etc)
3. Overpriced nonsense that will cost you an arm an a leg and will yield NO difference in tone that you can percieve

Monster also makes oversized ends, and they damage the input jacks....some manufacturers actually put 'DO NOT USE MONSTER CABLES' on the equipment! :eek: I've seen this on a couple mixers.

I feel that I should point out the the 1/4" outs (1/2) on the Axe-II are in fact UNBALANCED, so TRS are not needed and will provide no benefit. If you want balanced outs, use Mic (XLR) cables.

I feel that I should point out the the 1/4" outs (1/2) on the Axe-II are in fact UNBALANCED, so TRS are not needed and will provide no benefit. If you want balanced outs, use Mic (XLR) cables.

Thanks for the posts guys I was just reading the axe fx 2 manual and in it was the "Humbuster technology". Has any one tried this method? does it make a difference?

Ok so I think I'm gonna some fairly decent ones then.

Thanks again guys

Paul

However I have noticed that the first cable in the chain (guitar to amp or pedals...) does make a difference with single coils. As long as the first cable in the chain is relatively low capacitance then your raw guitar signal hits the amp/pedal nicely. After that it seems to me that the benefits are negligible.
+1. The more capacitance in your guitar cable, the more high end you'll lose (though some people like it that way—Hendrix used guitar cable with crazy-high capacitance to get some of his rounder tones). But for line-level signals, the impedence is low enough that you won't hear a difference.

With line-level cables, only three things matter: shielding, flexibility and ruggedness. At line level, the cheapest 100%-shielded cable you can find will sound exactly like the most expensive stuff.

Man I'd just like to find some decent priced TRS angle patch cables (3 footers good enough)! They're like trying to find a needle in a hay stack for me. I know Mission Engineering has some. But is that the average price $24 for a 3 footer? Tried George L but they don't make angled TRS patch cables they said in a email.

Make them. Cheapest way to go and you get to pick the cable and cut it to the exact size you want. For any install, use Belden. Best install cable on the planet, period. Not too expensive, super easy to solder, fairly rigid, which is better for install than a loose floppy cable, super well shielded with mylar foil. Neutrik connectors are also the best and if you just buy the cables and connectors, you can make professional patch cables for very inexpensive.

i received some planet waves cables for free, i'm kind of weary of them, they have a compression spring to prevent the input from getting pulled out.... Should i not use them because they perhaps could damage the input jack as monster cables might as well?

Thanks for the posts guys I was just reading the axe fx 2 manual and in it was the "Humbuster technology". Has any one tried this method? does it make a difference?

Paul

My setup had a noticeable whistle and buzz when I first hooked it up with standard T/S cables. I made a pair of "humbuster" cables and the problem went away, so yes, it can make a difference if you have a ground-noise problem.

Danny W.

Make them. Cheapest way to go and you get to pick the cable and cut it to the exact size you want. For any install, use Belden. Best install cable on the planet, period. Not too expensive, super easy to solder, fairly rigid, which is better for install than a loose floppy cable, super well shielded with mylar foil. Neutrik connectors are also the best and if you just buy the cables and connectors, you can make professional patch cables for very inexpensive.
This, but Belden, IMO, is one of several. Mogami is another. Cable can often be found at great prices. Building your own means you know exactly what you have, and repairs are simplified greatly due to that familiarity IMO.

i received some planet waves cables for free, i'm kind of weary of them, they have a compression spring to prevent the input from getting pulled out.... Should i not use them because they perhaps could damage the input jack as monster cables might as well?

I used those a long time ago, didn't like them - I use the classic series - my favorite type of cable

Wilde/Bill Lawrence is probably the best value out there for high quality low capacitance cable. His cable also has solder-less plugs. you just cut the cable to length and tighten the plug on with a tiny included allen wrench. Works like a charm and is a very strong connection. The cable is .76/ft and 4.40/plug. Cable and Plugs. His legendary handwound pickups are also the best value out there by quite a margin .This guy made pickups for Wes Montgomery and Grant Green as well as Dimebag Darrell on the other end of things.

Back
Top Bottom