Cab-Lab 4 Release 🔈🧪

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is the difference between the .IR and .SYX files? Syx only for Axe-Fx and IR for Cab Lab?
The .ir files are the most common extension for impulse responses. You can use them in Cab-Lab, and also in other sw or hw devices. You can also convert them to other extensions, like .syx files, .wav files, etc
The .syx files only works in FAS devices (FM3, AF3, etc).

The .ir files are the most common extension for impulse responses. You can use them in Cab-Lab, and also in other sw or hw devices. You can also convert them to other extensions, like .syx files, .wav files, etc
The .syx files only works in FAS devices (FM3, AF3, etc).
You can convert .IR to .SYX but you cannot convert .IR to .WAV
.IR files do not work in 3rd party systems.

OTOH it essentially gives away all of Fractal's proprietary IR content, since one it's in WAV format it's basically free for anyone.
One could still shoot an IR of the mix using a DAW or various software if they wanted to, so locking you into .SYX is exactly ironclad copy protection.

And what’s stopping someone from exporting it to SYX and sharing it on say, Axe-Change?

Furthermore, the DynaCab™ Packs still have to be purchased and I assume are licensed and verified within the software?

Last edited:
Here’s a scenario:

Studio engineer uses Cab-Lab 4 and DynaCab™ Packs in their DAW to dial in a tone for a guitar player while recording an album.

Guitar player wants to use that exact tone in their Helix or load box with IR on their next tour. But they can’t because it’s an SYX file and is only compatible with the Axe-FX.

What’s the alternative? They’d have to switch from Helix to an Axe-FX?

Last edited:
Maybe a Bug:
Installed Cab-Lab 4 with no Problems untill i tried to test the vst3 Plugin in Cubase Pro 12 - it wasn't there!

It wasnt either in the default vst3 Path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3"
nor in the Program path: "C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio\Cab-Lab 4"

I found it in my old VST2 Path in: "C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns", copied it to the vst3 Directory and it worked!
So why is something triggering it to instal it in this Path?

Help me understand. Would you have more enthusiasm or less enthusiasm if Cab-Lab 4 cost $$$ and were crippled by iLok?
Do you really think that Cab-Lab 4 being crippled by iLok (or not) is the point I'm trying to make? I'll assume so, since you asked the question in that manner, and try to help you understand why I'm "less than enthusiastic" about it now being free of copy protection and price.

As a preface, I've been a Fractal user for a long time. I've purchased the Ultra, the II, the II Mark II, and the III. I'll buy the IV if and when it is released. I've encouraged every guitar player I know to try their products. I love this company. Despite my irritation on this particular issue, I gain no pleasure or satisfaction in complaining or searching for things to complain about concerning a comply I wholly support. That is not at all my point or goal.

That being said...

To this day, the Cab-Lab 3 iLok fiasco is the one and only instance where Fractal, IMO, dropped the ball in a complete, total, and abject failure. Some of us paid around $80 for a product that we were never able to reliably use due to the most horribly implemented copy protection scheme ever devised. Each time I would launch Cab-Lab 3, I would be told that I don't own it, and therefore, couldn't use it. The threads on this topic may or may not still be somewhere on the forum. Bottom line, regardless of the quality of the product, I wrote off the $80 as wasted. For me, that is not a trivial sum.

So you will have to either forgive, indulge, or ignore my indifference to the same software (now improved), being offered for free with no copy protection. For those who chose not to purchase 3, this is truly a fantastic development. And how to price their product is totally Fractal's prerogative. But, how I respond to the way Cab-Lab 3 customers were treated is mine.

As Cab-Lab 3 finally fades into history, allow me my final expression of dissatisfaction with how it was handled. I figure that should be worth my $80. Enough said.

For the rest of you, I'm happy for you that you get a working product without the penalty some of us had to pay. Enjoy.

Do you really think that Cab-Lab 4 being crippled by iLok (or not) is the point I'm trying to make? I'll assume so, since you asked the question in that manner, and try to help you understand why I'm "less than enthusiastic" about it now being free of copy protection and price.

As a preface, I've been a Fractal user for a long time. I've purchased the Ultra, the II, the II Mark II, and the III. I'll buy the IV if and when it is released. I've encouraged every guitar player I know to try their products. I love this company. Despite my irritation on this particular issue, I gain no pleasure or satisfaction in complaining or searching for things to complain about concerning a comply I wholly support. That is not at all my point or goal.

That being said...

To this day, the Cab-Lab 3 iLok fiasco is the one and only instance where Fractal, IMO, dropped the ball in a complete, total, and abject failure. Some of us paid around $80 for a product that we were never able to reliably use due to the most horribly implemented copy protection scheme ever devised. Each time I would launch Cab-Lab 3, I would be told that I don't own it, and therefore, couldn't use it. The threads on this topic may or may not still be somewhere on the forum. Bottom line, regardless of the quality of the product, I wrote off the $80 as wasted. For me, that is not a trivial sum.

So you will have to either forgive, indulge, or ignore my indifference to the same software (now improved), being offered for free with no copy protection. For those who chose not to purchase 3, this is truly a fantastic development. And how to price their product is totally Fractal's prerogative. But, how I respond to the way Cab-Lab 3 customers were treated is mine.

As Cab-Lab 3 finally fades into history, allow me my final expression of dissatisfaction with how it was handled. I figure that should be worth my $80. Enough said.

For the rest of you, I'm happy for you that you get a working product without the penalty some of us had to pay. Enjoy.
I hear where you’re coming from, since I too purchased CabLab 3, but I kind of look at it as no big deal, since I’ve at least, gotten
80 dollars worth of free updates for the II and III, and much more. YMMV

I hear where you’re coming from, since I too purchased CabLab 3, but I kind of look at it as no big deal, since I’ve at least, gotten
80 dollars worth of free updates for the II and III, and much more. YMMV
The fact that it is now free (especially of iLok) suggests that Fractal has learned something and acted upon it. Props for that, at least.

That being said...

I used Cab Lab 3 for several years and the majority of the time it worked great. I did run into the authorization/ownership problem a couple of times but contacted Fractal about it each time and they got me up and running again quickly. I agree that it's not ideal to purchase a program and not have it work due to an authentication issue, but iLok has long been know to cause issues that aren't exclusive to Cab Lab or Fractal.

I Don't see how that is Fractal's fault and why it makes Cab Lab 3 a 'failure', especially if they rectified any issues brought to their attention through the proper channels by a customer.

That being said...

Please understand that my intention was not to offend you or to challenge your right to speak your mind, but to understand.

I get that you feel burned by CL3, and I get why. I think it’s cool that those issues have been removed in CL4.

I used Cab Lab 3 for several years and the majority of the time it worked great. I did run into the authorization/ownership problem a couple of times but contacted Fractal about it each time and they got me up and running again quickly. I agree that it's not ideal to purchase a program and not have it work due to an authentication issue, but iLok has long been know to cause issues that aren't exclusive to Cab Lab or Fractal.

I Don't see how that is Fractal's fault and why it makes Cab Lab 3 a 'failure', especially if they rectified any issues brought to their attention through the proper channels by a customer.
Glad it worked for you. 👍

Fractal is such a great company and I love the Axe Fx III. It is in a category all by itself with features, routing and interface options. I have been a user since Axe FX II and it is amazing how the products keep improving and the level of after the sale support and updates keeps coming. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom