Cab-Lab 1.0 Released!

Aside a bunch of technical "critiques" i said, i wish a Paradigm-Change in Usability:

- Leave the "Axe-Fx for Noobs" Usability- Pardigm (First Step do that - second step Do that - thrid step do that....):
Cab-Lab.jpg

and improve (go back to) the "Axe-Fx for Users" Usability- Paradigm:
public.php

Note: Load Cabs above the actual fader, where it should be used!
Note: Name the Cab UNDER the Fader, like every studio named the Audio, thats above the actual chanel! Long Cab names could be shown with line-break!

tools should provide a clear view when working with, not when learning it!

Don`t waste GUI / Computer screen for funny pictograms ... it`s lost space on the Screen!
give the KEY FEATURE of the tool the MOST SPACE! -> MIXER! (in relation: actual more space for the cablab logo and the lost row, as the whole mixer get!)

Last edited:
So, this only can load "external" cabs, huh?

What if I've done a TM and exported it to a user cab slot. Is there a way to load it into Cab Lab? Or, is there a way to save it to my computer and then load it into Cab-Lab? With Axe Manage, I could do it. Without it, I'm not so sure.

I certainly hope so, as cabs made from exported TMs are primarily what I use these days. If not, Cab-Lab may not be for me.

public.php

Note: Load Cabs above the actual fader, where it should be used!
Note: Name the Cab UNDER the Fader, like every studio named the Audio, thats above the actual chanel! Long Cab names could be shown with line-break!

tools should provide a clear view when working with, not when learning it!

Don`t waste GUI / Computer screen for funny pictograms ... it`s lost space on the Screen!
give the KEY FEATURE of the tool the MOST SPACE! -> MIXER! (in relation: actual more space for the cablab logo and the lost row, as the whole mixer get!)

Hmmm.... that doesn't look like an improvement to me. I wouldn't want to lose the full IR names. Maybe you could combine the interface elements horizontally, but I think people like up/down faders.

I am wondering how the interface changes if you hit that Serial Combiner checkbox. Does it let you combine serial and parallel operations, or do you have to do them one at a time?

So, this only can load "external" cabs, huh?

What if I've done a TM and exported it to a user cab slot. Is there a way to load it into Cab Lab? Or, is there a way to save it to my computer and then load it into Cab-Lab? With Axe Manage, I could do it. Without it, I'm not so sure.

I certainly hope so, as cabs made from exported TMs are primarily what I use these days. If not, Cab-Lab may not be for me.
If it's saved to a user cab slot, you could use Fractal Bot to save it.

I can't seem to be able to buy the software. I'm getting this message "There was an error response communicating to the payment gateway server. Please try again in a few moments". My card works with online payments, I've just bought the newest Humble Bundle with it ;)

Anyway, I'm buying two Cab-Labs. One for me and one for a friend who doesn't have credit card. How does the aunthentication work? I don't want to end up with both "copies" tied to my e-mail.

Hmmm.... that doesn't look like an improvement to me. I wouldn't want to lose the full IR names. Maybe you could combine the interface elements horizontally, but I think people like up/down faders.

I am wondering how the interface changes if you hit that Serial Combiner checkbox. Does it let you combine serial and parallel operations, or do you have to do them one at a time?

No, the interface stays they same. Hopefully a future update will allow us to combine serial and parallel operations.

Here a little idea to switch the Cab-Lab to a "semi live editor":

Add a switch "Auto send to scratchpad" and listener to the sliders and the slots. If "Auto send to scratchpad" is on, every change of the sliders or in the cab slots (e.g. changing a cab) will automatically start the send to scratchpad function. I think it is relatively easy to implement and would be very useful.

Here a little idea to switch the Cab-Lab to a "semi live editor":

Add a switch "Auto send to scratchpad" and listener to the sliders and the slots. If "Auto send to scratchpad" is on, every change of the sliders or in the cab slots (e.g. changing a cab) will automatically start the send to scratchpad function. I think it is relatively easy to implement and would be very useful.

With a slight interface delay though, so it happens when I release a slider (interface hasn't changed for 100ms or so), not as I'm sliding.

Since there is not CabLab forum section yet, here is my wish list:

1. Real Time audition
2. 30 band Master EQ
3. Length, Offset and Phase knobs on each IR slot
4. Graph windows for Time, Freq. and Phase.
5. 8 Band EQ for each IR Slot.
6. Make it free for registered Axe FX owners.

I like these suggestions down to 6. I don't mind paying for the product. The price charged is more that fair with these inclusions, IMO.

With a slight interface delay though, so it happens when I release a slider (interface hasn't changed for 100ms or so), not as I'm sliding.

Of course, the listeners have to trigger only, when after a change the sliders stands still a defined time and no transfer is in progress. To many or double transfers may ends in a crash.
But for sure know that Cliff and his team ;)

I really like this.
Thank you FAS for all the hard work you do, just to make our life easier.

I think this is pretty darn cool. Bought it and have been messing with it. I was hoping to be able to load the Fractal Cabs, though. Pretty bummed about that as a lot of my faves are in there. I pretty much have to stick to the Ownhammers I have.

Speaking of that... does this create a problem for companies such as OH who sell their IRs? I mean, couldn't folks just mix an IR of OH cabs and share it with everyone? It would be a dick move, but next to impossible to govern, correct?

Another thought, maybe you could just create a key command for "sending to scratchpad" so we could just press "S" real quick rather than searching out the button with a mouse? I do like the idea Lukator had... that would be ideal but probably harder to implement soon.

Speaking of that... does this create a problem for companies such as OH who sell their IRs? I mean, couldn't folks just mix an IR of OH cabs and share it with everyone? It would be a dick move, but next to impossible to govern, correct?

You can do that now with the individual OH IR files, although it would be illegal and unethical, just as sharing mixed files would be.

Terry.

I was hoping to be able to load the Fractal Cabs, though........

I have never thought about mixing/matching the factory cabs and just assumed you could export a single factory cab. I've never had the need to so I never pursued it. Are the factory cabs locked?

You can do that now with the individual OH IR files, although it would be illegal and unethical, just as sharing mixed files would be.

Terry.

totally agreed, but this just adds another dimension.

Why not make the factory cabs available considering the utility is produced by Fractal as well? This is a utility to mix everyone elses stuff but not theirs? I dunno, maybe it's coming.

I have never thought about mixing/matching the factory cabs and just assumed you could export a single factory cab. I've never had the need to so I never pursued it. Are the factory cabs locked?

As far as I can tell, you can not use any factory cabs with CabLab. Only producer packs and 3rd party.

Back
Top Bottom