Cab-Lab 1.0 Released!

Well some IRs are not in phase with each other f.ex. early OwnHammer IRs with new OwnHammer IRs... but I know there's an update coming. ;)

I want to want this product but I'm not sure what I'd do with it. :) I need graphs to judge IRs so I'd have to use the old tools in addition to make it work for me.

Would be coooool if it was an IR loader and everything worked in real time. You simply disable your cabs on the Axe-Fx or have the option to send pink noise through the program. Then have it working like the "control room" in Guitar Rig 5. I think everyone with a DAW (f.ex. me) is doing this already. :S

not really possible at this time because of the way the Axe-fx II handles the cabs and how the grid works. They have to be loaded. If they did get that working like that it would be uber cool because it wouldn't have to be limited to cabs at that point, you could conceivably plug any outboard effect in realtime in a any grid location over USB. The other alternative would be to have it have its own audio engine or be a VST but I don't think that is where they want to go with this.

does the final "user" cab have any limitation / restrictions??
as in, can it only be used ni a hires mono cab block?
or can a pair of them be used in a stereo cab block?

I agree with Clark's desires for the app.....I'll wait for the candy that comes with the future releases

does the final "user" cab have any limitation / restrictions??
as in, can it only be used ni a hires mono cab block?
or can a pair of them be used in a stereo cab block?

The Axe-fx handles that. It is just like any other user cab. It is save in a hires format but the axe-fx can still make it lo res or use it in a stereo cab.

All,

Just a reminder that the Axe-Fx can be used as a real time mixer for up to four IRs. When you find the settings you like, copy them into Cab-Lab and export the mix.

The phrase "and tools" refers to the fact that in addition to 8-channel parallel mixing, you can do serial recombination and convert WAV IRs to SysEx.

There is currently no plan for Cab-Lab to process audio. It is designed as an ultralight utility for those who want to do their own mixes of multi-mic IRs. We looked at plotting results visually, but decided against it, at least for now. There will be an update when the Axe-Fx II Ultra-Res feature is released.

For those who want some basic tips on how to get started, I'd recommend picking up one of the Cab-Packs. For your first mix, choose a speaker and load the 121 and 57 IRs. Listen to each of them. Then listen to a 50/50 blend. Then adjust the blend to taste. This is something of a basic recipe but it will get you started. Then load and listen to some of the other mics. Once you become familiar with their tones, you'll be able to create something new. The big advantage of the SCRATCHPAD should become apparent. The idea is that you should have a guitar in your hand while you work. Adjust the mix, send to the scratchpad, play, adjust the mix... and so on, until you find a mix you want to save. Then, export it as a file or send it to a USER CAB #.

Have fun,

We looked at plotting results visually, but decided against it, at least for now.
I have an idea for this that you guys may or may not have thought of: lay it out in a grid like Axe-Edit with only a few possible blocks like Cab/IR and Mixer. This would allow us to do complex parallel and serial layouts without the visual confusion of mixIR2

Cab Lab handles phase alignment automatically. It is designed to operate simply and quickly with a minimum of options that could be potentially confusing to inexperienced users.

The delay settings in the cab block can be used by those who intentionally want to use phase mis-alignment as a sound sculpting tool.

The Axe-fx handles that. It is just like any other user cab. It is save in a hires format but the axe-fx can still make it lo res or use it in a stereo cab.

ahhh....
since you put it like...
I reckon I need to part with some $$ and get me this app

looks like a seriously interesting tool

thanks for the reply JJ

Hmm, it's the simplicity of the current app that attracts me.

What's the added value of Length, Offset and Phase controls?

Yek, i assume you have never tried those controls on another Mix IR software, there is a lot of sonic value with those controls and a lot of range in shaping unique sounds, i believe this is a must have, but since there are other software's that can do it and can export the IR in .wav format, maybe the CabLad do not need it, but the Word LAB involves, to me, a lot more then just a simple mixer, still i know a lot more thing can be added in the future, so no big deal.

Cab Lab handles phase alignment automatically. It is designed to operate simply and quickly with a minimum of options that could be potentially confusing to inexperienced users.

Sure, but put an advance tab or something for use experienced users to experiment, its not like those option will ruin the sound, its all about shaping and building tone, don't limit that!... :D

It's a great app! Very Useful and fills a large need for me! Why not be thankful Fractal developed it in the first place? I have no doubt they have plans for further enhancement ! Patience People it will come in due time , Just enjoy what's here in the meantime!!

Sure this (minor) criticism was meant to be constructive. I think I was expecting a bit more... I mean these guys created the Axe-Fx which killed the guitar amp industry. People like Nick Raskulinecz who have been dissing the digital era ever since Pro Tools first arrived are now using Axe-Fx in the studio. I was expecting this to take the IR evolution to a whole other level.

I guess this is more of a product to be used with the FAS IR packs so you can use them in an easy way.

A quick question concerning the latest IR format: Isn't this new format just a longer IR? Are there no free tools that enable using longer IRs with the Axe-Fx?

Sure this (minor) criticism was meant to be constructive. I think I was expecting a bit more... I mean these guys created the Axe-Fx which killed the guitar amp industry. People like Nick Raskulinecz who have been dissing the digital era ever since Pro Tools first arrived are now using Axe-Fx in the studio. I was expecting this to take the IR evolution to a whole other level.

I guess this is more of a product to be used with the FAS IR packs so you can use them in an easy way.

A quick question concerning the latest IR format: Isn't this new format just a longer IR? Are there no free tools that enable using longer IRs with the Axe-Fx?

The old format was 32bit integer fixed-point and the new format is IEEE floating-point. The longer IR format has not been released yet.

I was wondering why I might want this, and then I read the following on the product page:

The program can even combine IRs in series, allowing you, for example, to “print” the sound of a Tone Match IR onto a Cab IR so the Tone Matching block can be removed from the grid to save CPU power.

Okay, I'll see if I can find some pennies to scrape together....

I've not been one for really going too indepth with IRs etc, I usually just find something that 'works' and then go from there. After messing with cab lab, i just made one of the coolest sounding IRs for clean tones, using a mix from one of the FAS cab pack where I am using 4 separate IRs all blended at different levels.

This is real cool

If you please....

Two basic 'pre-purchase' requests:

More 'Detailed' System requirements info.

Downloadable Users Manual.

Back
Top Bottom