Bug? Is this a bug or a feature I don't know about? Delay 2290 behaviour

Dutch

Fractal Fanatic
I have this preset where switching on the Drive block mutes the Delay. Nothing showing in the editor, no bypass state, no settings change, same channel, just the repeats are gone. CPU 65%. No per preset overrides or definitions. It does this when switching via the editor too.

Attached for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• Hosanna - Baloche.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Oh. It does it on the 2290 W/Mod only,

Guess it's a bug.
Not a bug.

Not in a place where i can look at your preset but you’re likely collapsing the 180° phase inverted stereo output of that delay‘s repeats down to mono when you engage the drive block. And they cancel out.

As @Hubertus said: put the drive block before the delay block.

Its such a common occurrence with this model there’s a note about it in the wiki https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Delay_block#2290_W.2F_Modulation

You're running the 2290 before the drive with the drive input mode set to sum L+R. This is collapsing the outputs of the 2290 to mono, and since the outputs of that delay type are phase reversed the net result is no delay.

Either set the drive input to left only or set phase reverse to "none" under the "more" tab of the delay block.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 9.59.06 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 9.59.06 pm.png
    306.6 KB · Views: 8
You're running the 2290 before the drive with the drive input mode set to sum L+R. This is collapsing the outputs of the 2290 to mono, and since the outputs of that delay type are phase reversed the net result is no delay.

Either set the drive input to left only or set phase reverse to "none" under the "more" tab of the delay block.
Maybe use 2 drive blocks hard panned left and right. You'll probably need to use a control switch to turn them both on/off, though.

Ah. Of course.

I'll just use another delay since I like the effect of delays being distorted. It gets really unruly.

Maybe there should be a certification program where you must first pass an exam that demonstrates you understand the phase behavior of the 2290 before being allowed to select that delay type.
TC calls it “Anti-phase”. When i did my first record in 1990. I had a 2290 in my rig and the enginner said. Something in my rig was out of phase. But we rolled with it actually I think we switched to a Lexicon studio unit for most of the delays Added through the board sends on everything except. Dotted 8th stuff (Political Rain and There was a Time). Those where the 2290 and those parts are mono with no modulation. Then at a live show i had the delays disappear. And i was like whats going on? I had the unit for 2 and. A half years before i learned what “anti-phase” was. TC’s term.

Maybe there should be a certification program where you must first pass an exam that demonstrates you understand the phase behavior of the 2290 before being allowed to select that delay type.
Oew. Missed that remark. Kinda harsh.

I know about phase cancelation, just didn't know the 2290 did that. I generally don't like the effect, just as I don't like exciters and widening stereo image by phase shifting. Just sounds unnatural to me. Apparently many people do like it. I'm always worried what summing to mono will do.

Last edited:
TC calls it “Anti-phase”. When i did my first record in 1990. I had a 2290 in my rig and the enginner said. Something in my rig was out of phase. But we rolled with it actually I think we switched to a Lexicon studio unit for most of the delays Added through the board sends on everything except. Dotted 8th stuff (Political Rain and There was a Time). Those where the 2290 and those parts are mono with no modulation. Then at a live show i had the delays disappear. And i was like whats going on? I had the unit for 2 and. A half years before i learned what “anti-phase” was. TC’s term.
😁. Thanks Larry! I just thought everybody used to have one or more of those in their racks so they must be good. Didn't know about the phase. Nice to know this can happen to the best of us.

Back
Top Bottom