BUG: Audible pop when Scene controllers change AMP settings

Even if you control input drive/trim and a level parameter with the same scene controller with damping set to the same value, you still get a burst of sound.

Looking forward to the next update ... soon

Agreed. My scenes are only a few dB different so I don't experience that.
But if you have one scene with quite a lot of gain, and another which is pristine clean (using same amp), you have to adjust a level with much more than a few dB to get the same perceived loudness.

I showed it in this post http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tips-for-dealing-with-the-audio-drop-out.112699/#post-1354049

I wanted to show the awesomeness of scene controllers - only to discover that they made a big pop, when switching from drive to clean
SCaudiodropout.jpg

Here is the mp3 (do not listen loud, the 'pop' is loud - first clip is amp X/Y switching (using scenes disengaging chorus and compressor while engaging the drive block), second clip is amp Y with scene controllers (disengaging/engaging same blocks as before)

Preset is attached
Try the following:

1) Switch to SCENE 1.
2) Make a note of all your modifier min and max values on the AMP block
3) Remove the modifiers from your AMP Block
4) Set all the parameter values that you are modifying to the MIN values of the modifiers (than you noted in step 2).
5) Save the preset.
6) Re-add the controllers to the modifiers on the AMP block (use the min/max values you noted in step 2).

@Joe Rogers: Do you mean that I should set the values to the ones corresponding to the minimum value of the modifier, or the smallest value used?
I.e. If minimum value for input trim modifier is 2 and maximum value is 0.5, should I set it to 0.5 or 2?

@Joe Rogers: Do you mean that I should set the values to the ones corresponding to the minimum value of the modifier, or the smallest value used?
I.e. If minimum value for input trim modifier is 2 and maximum value is 0.5, should I set it to 0.5 or 2?
Specifically, set if for the values used when the scene controller drives to the SCENE 1 value (0%). You're audio effect is most prominent when switching from SCENE 2 (High Gain) to SCENE 1(CLEAN). Therefore, if the amp model loads the values that SCENE 1 is changing to, the audio effect is dramatically reduced.

Yeah, I did not get to experiment yesterday, as the kid got sick. I will have a go at this before updating to Q3

So, Finally, I got to test a little - I must admit that the only thing that really helped was FW3.02

Here is a recording of the original patch, Joes suggestions, Joes suggestions with cab block set to smallest value, and finally original patch on FW3.02

The problem is not completely gone with 3.02, but it is much better and definitely usable.

I tested the preset from the OP with 3.02, and I'm not noticing spikes when switching scenes on the AX8. That's of course with the editor paused (important).

It puzzles me why you choose to use 4 modifiers (!) in the amp block alone to change gain and normalize the level? With that many parameters affecting gain and level changes within a few ms, some issues really can be expected.

BTW, the levels aren't normalized. There's an enormous difference between the first scene and the next ones. The individual blocks aren't set to unity gain either. Maybe for the purpose of demonstrating?

Last edited:
It is basically based on, how I ended up liking the two states (using X/Y) before inserting modifiers.

I think input gain drive and the Master Volume drive sounds very different in the dirty shirley. It is also one of the few amps, where I like the saturation switch on. Input trim sounds a little different than input gain as well.

Also, the original purpose of this patch was actually to demonstrate the power of scene modifiers, but then I got a little disappointed.

My sound clip above is with Ax8edit paused.

It is basically based on, how I ended up liking the two states (using X/Y) before inserting modifiers.

I think input gain drive and the Master Volume drive sounds very different in the dirty shirley. It is also one of the few amps, where I like the saturation switch on. Input trim sounds a little different than input gain as well.

Also, the original purpose of this patch was actually to demonstrate the power of scene modifiers, but then I got a little disappointed.

My sound clip above is with Ax8edit paused.
A big part of the pop that is left in the last sample, v3.02, is the contoller on the Saturation. That will pop, no matter what you do.

Back
Top Bottom