Boston tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of how angry this tragedy makes me feel and my personal opinion(s), my most humble apology for my comment. Peace.

Is launching a missile at a crowd of innocent people from 30,000 feet bravery? I can tell you that the entire world sees the drone strikes as a) terrorism b) utter cowardice.

Politics are not appropriate for this forum. Please refrain from posting political opinions in the future. There are better places to discuss that.

Thanks

Seriously. WHO in the FUCK BOMBS a MARATHON?!!!

My fellow runners are in my thoughts.

It will be a long time before we know. Given the technology used, the dates and events associated (Waco, Oklahoma City, Hitler's Bday, Tax Day, Patriot's Day), most intelligence points to domestic terrorism of the kind that produced Oklahoma City - or so say several media outlets. Whomever did it, I am glad they did not cause as much loss of life as O.C. I also hope they burn in hell, if there is one.

I really believe Earth could be heaven. Naive, perhaps, but maybe someday empathy will conquer all of this hate and rage. When you look at what human beings have created and discovered in art, science, music, dance and all the rest, it seems incredible that so much ingenuity and creativity are channeled into such evil. Were it rechanneled, we could live here in paradise, right on planet earth.

I really believe Earth could be heaven. Naive, perhaps, but maybe someday empathy will conquer all of this hate and rage. When you look at what human beings have created and discovered in art, science, music, dance and all the rest, it seems incredible that so much ingenuity and creativity are channeled into such evil. Were it rechanneled, we could live here in paradise, right on planet earth.

True, but it's so much easier to destroy than to create... that fact is being exploited.

We live in The Matrix. Suffering is required for humans to accept reality. Sad but true. What is appalling to me is how many people are glued to their TVs watching all the horrific images and not being able to tear away. It is a tragedy. Let those affected mourn and think healing thoughts for them. Don't feed the media machine.

"The only way to combat evil is to acknowledge it" - Edmund Burke

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare" - Edmund Burke

Again, there is a time and there are places to discuss such topics. A musical guitar gear oriented forum is not the place and this is not the time to discuss such a tragic event by introducing some of your more idiotic opinions in my humble opinion. Yes I have read some of your blog. Mind boggling to say the least.

Last edited:
Again, there is a time and there are places to discuss such topics. A musical guitar gear oriented forum is not the place and this is not the time to discuss such a tragic event by introducing some of your more idiotic opinions in my humble opinion. Yes I have read some of your blog.

Sorry to intervene here, but isn't the purpose of The Lounge to discuss "off-topics"? I'm new around here but I didn't read that "off-topic" refers to guitar gear only. Or does it?

Off topic is for off topic, but that doesn't include heated political discussions, nor should it. It just brings down the whole tone of the forum and causes bad feelings between people. Hence...what Cliff said.

Sorry to intervene here, but isn't the purpose of The Lounge to discuss "off-topics"? I'm new around here but I didn't read that "off-topic" refers to guitar gear only. Or does it?

Agreed, and even though I confess to not having read the forum rules it has been brought up many times over the years that Political and Religious topics are not allowed since they often cause such animosity and rarely produce anything positive.

Agreed, and even though I confess to not having read the forum rules it has been brought up many times over the years that Political and Religious topics are not allowed since they often cause such animosity and rarely produce anything positive.

Heated debate about politics is no different than heated debate about which preset is "better". I thought we had the freedom to discuss things as long as we are respectful and present our opinions in a non-threatening manner that refrains from personal attacks towards others in the forum. I'm not sure I see what the problem is so far. Speak your mind folks. It's what this great country was founded on.

By the way, what's "allowed" is mostly up to the forum mods. They haven't really taken this thread down yet, now have they?

Very sad... my thoughts and prayers are with all victims and injured people...this world is so sick !

Boston born and bred - moved away just to live in a different part of the country 9 years ago - after 47 years there. I will always be a Bostonian first. I know Boylston St like the back of my hand. This was personal.

However zecure- the world is a far less "sick" place than it ever has been. The only difference is that CNN, FOX, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, BBS, CBS, Reuters, AP UPI, etc etc etc is focusing their hugely bright light on it and 500 people have cell phone cameras at the scene and we have shrunk the world. These types of bombs were standard fare for many attacks, US and abroad, in past times. They are un-nerving in their terror, but it is because you are seeing it first hand as it happens. It has a much bigger impact when you see the bomb go off, over and over and over from a hundred angles.

The media is responsible for this in many ways - not only for bringing it to you, but for making it the highest level of story it becomes. If you were reading about it in a newspaper several days after it happened it wouldn't have anywhere near the impact. I have to believe much of the motivation of the perpetrators is the level of attention their act produces. The whole world is watching Boston. We are talking about Boston on a guitar forum. That means they have achieved their aim. If it was a few lines in the newspaper it wouldn't be anywhere near as appealing to do. Facts bear out that crime is a fraction of what it used to be, but we all believe we live in the most destructive society that has ever walked the earth. Think of why. CNN and FOX and every other news outlet needs to dramatize, to sensationalize. They are still interviewing people at the scene - everyone of them has said exactly the same thing. They (media outlets) are wringing every last ounce out of this story. That is where our problem lies folks. Not in the acts - they are terrible, but they have always occured. Bombings have been around for centuries. And people were even more cruel before explosives were invented. Just ask the people of Northern Ireland. Three people died and several were injured. A tragedy - absolutely. Do I feel for the family of that little boy and others who were out expecting a fun day watching the marathon, most definitely. However 30 plus people died in a bus crash in Texas, and North Korea is starving its people, and there are regimes in Africa killing thousands. Genocide. Its just not as interesting a story.

We really need to examine our priorities, and get control of our media.

My rant - sorry.

JB

Heated debate about politics is no different than heated debate about which preset is "better". I thought we had the freedom to discuss things as long as we are respectful and present our opinions in a non-threatening manner that refrains from personal attacks towards others in the forum. I'm not sure I see what the problem is so far. Speak your mind folks. It's what this great country was founded on.

By the way, what's "allowed" is mostly up to the forum mods. They haven't really taken this thread down yet, now have they?

There are plenty of political forums out there where you can discuss political and world issues to your heart's content. Cliff owns these forums and pays for their hosting, so what he says goes, and he says this isn't the place for that, so this isn't the place for that. If he changes his mind about that, he'll let us know I'm sure.

A heated debate about politics are not even in the same dimension as one about tone or who the "best' guitarist in the world is. Obviously, politics, right and left and the issues they contain are simply the most polarizing and bad blood producing topics one could engage in out in the public domain. There are forums for that everywhere if that is your cup of tea. The fractal forum is for like minded individuals to discuss gear, share ideas about gear and the lounge is the place to share stories on various subjects that do not fit in one of the other categories. No one is gonna change anyone else's mind anyway so why waste your time trying? Reminds of how little the tongue is but how big of a fire an uncontrolled one can start.

A heated debate about politics are not even in the same dimension as one about tone or who the "best' guitarist in the world is. Obviously, politics, right and left and the issues they contain are simply the most polarizing and bad blood producing topics one could engage in out in the public domain. There are forums for that everywhere if that is your cup of tea. The fractal forum is for like minded individuals to discuss gear, share ideas about gear and the lounge is the place to share stories on various subjects that do not fit in one of the other categories. No one is gonna change anyone else's mind anyway so why waste your time trying? Reminds of how little the tongue is but how big of a fire an uncontrolled one can start.

Huh? I don't get what you're trying to say. What are "like minded individuals"? We here all like gear. So with that we are "like minded". Otherwise this a very diverse group of people who have diverse tastes and won't be "like minded" about everything. How boring would that be!?

You state that no one is going to change anyone's mind but you're trying to change mine about what I should post. As I said, if the mods don't like what's going on, they will delete it.

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare" - Edmund Burke

Again, there is a time and there are places to discuss such topics. A musical guitar gear oriented forum is not the place and this is not the time to discuss such a tragic event by introducing some of your more idiotic opinions in my humble opinion. Yes I have read some of your blog. Mind boggling to say the least.

My 'Idiotic Opinions'? Dude, you just crossed the line. I believe the moderator should give you a little rap on the shoulder, the way he did me, the one time I got personal. I have liked a lot of your posts, but your ad hominem slander of me only demeans yourself. It is what I would term 'pathetic'.

As to how idiotic my opinions are, I can only say that through time immemorial, citizens of various empires have believed what they were told to believe, instead of actually looking, through a moral and ethical lens, at what was being done in their name to support their way of life. History is rife with those who placidly accepted slavery, genocide, rape and pillage, because it was being done by 'their side'. More's the point - anyone with enough acumen can quite clearly see that events are tied the world over, that violence breeds violence, and that an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

But far be it for me to disabuse someone who has shown me how intellectually superior they are, through schoolyard insult, of any of their illusions.

I believe people ought to be able to disagree civilly, respectfully, without hurling insults. I find it depressing that you feel it necessary to drop to the level of calling me names.

I never did that to you. And I never will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom