borrowing gear...

mgavin

Experienced
what do you do when your friends ask to borrow your gear? my good bud just asked to borrow my axe2... besides being tacky in itself to invite someone's gear to a recording session and not the player, there's no way he could ever replace my gear. i know nothing would Most Likely not happen but he couldn't even sell his car and all his guitars and get anywhere close to being able to replace a new axefx2. shit's lame, how do i let them down gently?

Find new friends? Nah, jk... There isn't a person in the world I would lend my rig to. I would just say something like... "dude this thing is too valuable to lend out, sorry bro." no need to point out that he could never replace it. He might feel demeaned by that.

shotgunn

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

edit: i would never point that out to him, i'm just saying... haha

i'm just going to say i use it all the time, which is essentially true. anyways i'd like to hear other peoples thoughts and experience on the matter...

Last edited:
Just say no... !! It's not that difficult to do - especially if you ask them to leave their car as collateral :)

I'd let somebody borrow gear if I trusted them completely and knew for certain that they would treat my gear the same as I do. That being said, if we're talking about my Axe-Fx II, certain mics or preamps that I have, or any of my guitars, I'd have to accompany the gear to the session/gig. You could also tell your friend that you'd consider renting him the Axe II AND you'd have to go with the gear.

Just say no... !! It's not that difficult to do - especially if you ask them to leave their car as collateral :)

Ask him if you could borrow his wife or girlfriend for a night. That should end the requests.

what do you do when your friends ask to borrow your gear? my good bud just asked to borrow my axe2... besides being tacky in itself to invite someone's gear to a recording session and not the player, there's no way he could ever replace my gear. i know nothing would Most Likely not happen but he couldn't even sell his car and all his guitars and get anywhere close to being able to replace a new axefx2. shit's lame, how do i let them down gently?

I think it's pretty selfish of him to "ASK" for your $$$ baby. I mean that. Friends don't put friends in that kind of a spot-real friends anyway.
Just MO of course

If he's a real goof friend and you want to help him, you might offer to let him use it as long as you are there and take care of it. Offer to come to the session and set it up and help him out with it. That's if you can, of course.

Just tell him to download the latest demo of amplitube, tell him they sound the same and you cant even tell the difference.

On a side note, if you are lending it out? I have this project coming up and................

only if you can go with it to help.if your bud is not familiar with the unit,too many things could go wrong.what if he wiped out a few of your presets by accident.

"hey,what does this global button do?""uhh ohh....oh shit........what did i do?oh wait,there's a utility button.there must be something in there to fix this.let's see......reset system parameters,yeah that should do it.......if this doesn't work,i'll try that update thingy next."

Last edited:
i told him he could track solos @ my house w/ the axefx on my computer, not gonna let it leave the house tho, it's stupid to bring it to another recording studio anyways when you could just track the solos over the backing tracks on my comp anyways....

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
how bout no ccchhhhhway chhhhhhhjjjjjose, I aint bringin mine anywhere, which of course limits its abilities as an IR capturer; I have a friend with a huge amp cab collection, but shheeeeat, even I could trip on something and doooooooooooooo, NOT WORTH THE RISK, it stays home, on a ledge, near an open window, where rain can get in, under a leaky roof, near a hot stove, where my cats can tip it over, ok I jest. Just no way.

Fake friends call your parents Mr. & Mrs. Real friends call them Mom & Dad.

Fake friends when asked would you like something to eat say no thankyou, Real friend are the reason you have nothing to eat.

Fake friends come to bail you out of jail and say "dont you ever do that again" Real friends are in jail with you saying "man we screwed that up"

Actually a real friend would not ask to borrow it..............

Last edited:
I think it's okay to have boundaries with friends.

For sure I have friends that I would not loan expensive gear or money to but others I would.

IMO, you can handle things like that str8 up without making them feel bad. "Sorry bro, costs too much to replace so it's not a loaner."

Richard

If you have hesitation, it is you inner voice telling you NO. You learn a lot about life lending things out to people, unfortunately the outcome is often negative.

Back
Top Bottom