Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but a simple IP address ban for me would have been more than enough to keep me from bothering to use a post-ban account. It wouldn't stop the Donnie B.s of the world, but it seems like such a piece of low-hanging fruit to me that it suggests they don't honestly care about any ban remaining permanent.
The software does note IPs. It’s just not effective if someone wants back on a board.

The sites are related…see the “Sister Sites” list at the bottom of the TDPRI page. I’m assuming that means they are under common ownership but would need to dig to confirm.
Interesting that OSG isn't in that list.

I've always found the folks at OffsetGuitars to be nice (and reasonable too). But of course I would say that; look at my avatar!

When you try to log in via VPN, TGP tells you the IP address has been blocked. So they do use IP address bans.

How hard would it be to instigate an IP address-ban when instigating the user ban?
The days of banning by IP are rapidly coming to an end, for forums anyway. Apple will turn on IP Relay by default eventually, and then what, are they going to block every iPhone? So yeah. Ultimately, since they depend on ad revenue, I doubt they care anyway.

Yeah, the whole vibe of that place is creepy. I think it's borne out of a variety of things:
1. A lot of members now.
2. The owners of the forum more concerned about profit than about the primary purpose of a forum.
3. Manufacturers exploiting the forum as a marketing tool.

I also suspect there's some unsavory things going on behind the scenes between manufacturers and the owners. Some of the moderator behavior (see my recent treatment) defies logic and indicates there's something going on.
At this point, it seems increasingly clear that everything is corrupt everywhere

When you try to log in via VPN, TGP tells you the IP address has been blocked. So they do use IP address bans.

How hard would it be to instigate an IP address-ban when instigating the user ban?

The software does note IPs. It’s just not effective if someone wants back on a board.
It can also easily false-ban someone who did nothing wrong. You change your IP through your ISP...or just don't have a static IP and it may change at some point anyway...or put your phone on airplane mode and turn it off again and you're somewhat likely to get a different one...then someone else who happens to get your old address gets banned.

In short, there aren't enough ipv4 addresses for this to work. They have to be re-used.

So, it's easy to circumvent and relatively likely to ban random people.

You could probably do it with ipv6 addresses, but the world hasn't really switched over yet. And it still requires the ISPs to make them static which is possible but AFAIK not enforced.

IP bans are not the solution.

There are other low-key creepy identifiers that people could use (most browsers leak a lot of identifiable "signatures"). But, they're also not guaranteed. They're much less likely to ban an innocent bystander, but they're also generally < ~60% likely to actually work.

I seriously don't get the bashing of Scott, who's also a longtime valued forum member here, just because he's associated with TGP.

I agree. For those who weren't around, no user contributed more to the Axe-Fx community in the old days than Scott. I bought my first Axe-Fx because of Scott singing its praises on TGP, as did a lot of people. Before he decided to become less active for whatever reason Scott was kind of like the Leon of his time, releasing his patches and videos teaching people how to get the best out of it. It's a little unseemly to be dumping on him like this when he's still a mod on this forum.

There are a couple of posts in this thread (not yours) very clear about it.

I seriously don't get the bashing of Scott, who's also a longtime valued forum member here, just because he's associated with TGP.
Same. I know him to be honest, straightforward and kind. He and Alex have been incredibly helpful over the years as I've waded through technical decisions around how to get this board up and stable.

He is not TGP. TGP is a community. It has many things that make it what it is and Scott is barely a drop in that ocean of culture.

Not sure who is bashing him. I simply pointed out that he is still a mod here.
A sign of his high integrity is he never uses that status to do anything untoward here (or on TGP for that matter).

Last edited:
I have not had a good experience with him. I'm sure others have had fantastic ones (that's how life goes). But his handling of some issues has been suboptimal. I'm not denying he isn't a valued member of this community or offered great insight, however, he is partially to blame for why this thread was created.

He was provided irrefutable proof of neural mods being on the gear page but turned a blind eye to it while also banning those who brought it up. He then realized all those who brought it up weren't lying, suspended the neural mod (who lied straight to his face multiple times) but did nothing to correct his behavior to those who were wrongly punished. In my instance, I am IP banned permanently from TGP because I sent him information about the neural mod. Said neural mod's suspension is up and he gets to go on about his day after lying and spreading false information.

Again this was poorly handled by Scott and it seemed very evident to me in this emails that he very rarely thinks himself in the wrong. If this gets me banned from another forum so be it LOL I'm just sharing my experience of what happened and how Scott can be a valued member of the fractal forum but poorly handled and continues to poorly handle this issue on TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom