Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing they’re just putting all their focus on plugins because they can’t get parts. Smart move financially, but the plug-in market is getting pretty saturated.
I have, and like their Soldano plugin, but I don't think it is worth the standard asking price - got mine on the 1/2 price sale. I'm intrigued by the latest Tone King one but have no interest in the other Artist ones. Amplitube, which I also have / enjoy has pedal to the metal lately, and giving NDSP solid
plugins competition imo with a new release of Mesa endorsed Boogie models. For me, the plugin choices are not so many as I only consider those with full midi implementation and stand alone option. Every once in a while I pull up Revalver and marvel at the potential it had / has - needs a complete overhaul, but there's something special. it seems, going on at the core of that one.

If companies are throwing money or free/reduced gear to shill accounts for the sole reason of swaying opinions on the internet, its pretty sad. Sending out review units is not the same thing, so long as the company understands they get an honest (but FAIR, unlike a few recent ones floating around) review. I think FAS is doing it right, personally. They don't seem to do trade shows, very little advertising and seem to frequently sell out of supply. All while innovating and upgrading their product line like no other manufacturer. Soooooooo.......like the saying goes.....they talked about Jesus, they'll talk about you, too.
It's shocking how common the fake review thing is.

I like that people are starting to disclose their conflicts of interest, but it really is annoying how few people seem trustworthy. Often, you can read between the lines and figure out what people really think. But, a lot of people, IMHO, just burned all their credibility. I have no idea why people still watch them.

advertising needs are minimal especially in the current age of influencers where a few Leon Todd videos can exceed the entire circulation of traditional publications.
Yeah.....he was one of the reasons I decided to try a Fractal. And it was largely because he makes a lot of videos about a lot of gear he's excited about, never that I'm aware of blanketly praised FAS, and showed photos and videos of him actually using it when he's obviously got a lot of other options as well. It's a very different situation from most "reviewers".

I'm not saying it's the case, but at this point...I don't think I'd care if I found out that FAS sponsors him. He still strikes me as honest and genuine, and that's good enough for me.

I would bet that's it's even more nefarious than that. I believe that users like Kevin Thompson, Waterbound, et. al. are actually paid moles employed by Neural or its marketing agency. This is a known marketing technique and, while technically illegal in the US, is oft employed. Given how slimy Neural has behaved to this point I wouldn't put it past them to use this tactic.

There have been many times when the only explanation I could come up with to explain a string of posts is that the person is either a shill, a troll, or has some psychological issues.

Yes, some of these people may be paid but some of them may just want the attention that crapping in the pool gives them. I think it's sad that the thread was allowed to continue and still exists. I'd rather read Cliff's posts than any of his detractors.

Yeah.....he was one of the reasons I decided to try a Fractal. And it was largely because he makes a lot of videos about a lot of gear he's excited about, never that I'm aware of blanketly praised FAS, and showed photos and videos of him actually using it when he's obviously got a lot of other options as well. It's a very different situation from most "reviewers".

I'm not saying it's the case, but at this point...I don't think I'd care if I found out that FAS sponsors him. He still strikes me as honest and genuine, and that's good enough for me.
Leon's one of the good ones. His videos also led to me pulling the trigger on my first FX3 a few years ago, and also convinced me to try the SE Standard 24 that led to getting three other PRS guitars....

I remember Jay Mitchell changing the contents of images in his post to communicate while he was unable to post for a while. I thought it was quite amusing.

Forums are quite frustrating anymore, to the point that it is almost not worth the bother. People seem to have a vested interest in misunderstanding you and it requires all manner of specially handling to avoid, to the point of exhaustion. I suspect things have just become "too social"

bad in different ways... FB groups have no meaningful memory. Its perfect for zero-attention-span.

I don't really have that experience. Yes, there are many groups that are less than ideal, but some of the groups I'm part of are amazing.

• The Total Archery Challenge FB group is incredible and one of the owners of the event is on their regularly. Awesome people.
  • I belong to three skateboarding groups geared to us OGs. Also awesome people. We filter out the idiots quickly.
  • A couple of RC Helicopter pages I belong to are also full of kind and helpful people. And there are some pros on there that love to chat with us mere mortals.
  • The Racing Sim group is great. Lots of puffed out chests, but they mean well an are genuinely helpful to us newbies.
  • The unofficial Fractal page is great. Yes, I blocked some people on it, but all around, it's very enjoyable to interact with them.

Forums are quite frustrating anymore, to the point that it is almost not worth the bother. People seem to have a vested interest in misunderstanding you and it requires all manner of specially handling to avoid, to the point of exhaustion. I suspect things have just become "too social"
I get what you're saying and why you said it, but I think it might actually be the opposite.

There's very few social consequences for being a total asshat online. So, I guess it depends on what you mean by soical.

If you mean it in a traditional/scientific (psychology) context....the problem is that it's almost completely asocial. If you mean it's all following "social media", I 100% agree with you.

Social media is cancer.

I remember Jay Mitchell changing the contents of images in his post to communicate while he was unable to post for a while. I thought it was quite amusing.
I well remember Jay's interactions here - often parsing others' posts down statement by statement and disputing each, correctly I'd guess but not that generous on education - exhausting to watch - makes me wonder why gurus like Jay bother since it seems they're not so interested in instructively enlightening the more uninformed and may prefer relating to those who can debate on equal footing.

I well remember Jay's interactions here - often parsing others' posts down statement by statement and disputing each, correctly I'd guess but not that generous on education - exhausting to watch - makes me wonder why gurus like Jay bother since it seems they're not so interested in instructively enlightening the more uninformed and may prefer relating to those who can debate on equal footing.

Sounds like OCD and the need to always be right to me. That's some pathological behavior right there.

Sounds like OCD and the need to always be right to me. That's some pathological behavior right there.
"A man like [Johnny] Ringo has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never kill enough, or steal enough, or inflict enough pain to ever fill it."
--Doc Holliday

I suspect the modern equivalent is making others feel like crap on teh interwebs....

I don't really have that experience. Yes, there are many groups that are less than ideal, but some of the groups I'm part of are amazing.

• The Total Archery Challenge FB group is incredible and one of the owners of the event is on their regularly. Awesome people.
  • I belong to three skateboarding groups geared to us OGs. Also awesome people. We filter out the idiots quickly.
  • A couple of RC Helicopter pages I belong to are also full of kind and helpful people. And there are some pros on there that love to chat with us mere mortals.
  • The Racing Sim group is great. Lots of puffed out chests, but they mean well an are genuinely helpful to us newbies.
  • The unofficial Fractal page is great. Yes, I blocked some people on it, but all around, it's very enjoyable to interact with them.
I was referring to the format mainly. It encourages really short "look at my dog" type conversations.

There was a Fractal user gathering in Dallas about a decade ago that I drove up and attended. Jay was there and from his forum demeanor I expected to not get along with the guy at all.

He was actually quite personable as well as informative. Enjoyed the few hours I was there with him.

There was a Fractal user gathering in Dallas about a decade ago that I drove up and attended. Jay was there and from his forum demeanor I expected to not get along with the guy at all.

He was actually quite personable as well as informative. Enjoyed the few hours I was there with him.
ya - as eluded to above, SM has an odd effect on many (perhaps most) of us - the anonymity and lack of true investment in online relashionships tends to shape our online personalities differently.

Sometimes this effect may just be down to writing style. I remember a guy at work who used always write emails in all caps and got accused of yelling and being angry all the time - turned out, no, he just liked writing in all caps.

Last edited:

I always wondered why Fractal stopped doing those types of gatherings. Obviously with the pandemic over the last couple of years, but getting together with other Fractal users would be awesome fun.

Yeah....it's often hard to tell the difference between a friendly argument and a combative one.

I'm definitely guilty on both sides of that one.

I always wondered why Fractal stopped doing those types of gatherings. Obviously with the pandemic over the last couple of years, but getting together with other Fractal users would be awesome fun.

I'm picturing a jam session 30 guitarists and no drummers.

That.....sounds like it could be a nightmare. Or a lot of fun. Literally no idea which.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom