Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common thread in both cases? Quad Turdtex.
Yes, the "non-owner complainer QC thread".
I never posted in any other official QC thread to keep some respect and order, but some pathetic individual really wanted me gone even from the non-owner satire thread.
I really liked sharing IRs and amp science there, but apparently one little butt hurt biatch is enough to cancel me for everyone. :D

EDIT:
Let me also say that banning Cliff from TGP was absolutely idiotic.
They could just delete the 'war' posts and move on.

I got a week ban from TGP a while ago for a snide political comment. The funny part was that I essentially had to wait for the week before I could see the reason for it. The mod who gave the ban claimed to agree with me but imposed the ban anyway....and I bet you can guess from that which direction my snide comment slanted.

The really funny thing is that since then, subscribing to threads doesn't work right. Probably a glitch, but still....

It's just a matter of time until I get a permanent ban from TGP. Whatever. Come what may. I still get some value out of it, but not so much that I'd be heartbroken if they banned me.

As far as the bigger issues that have crept into this thread....without intentionally expressing any contentious positions....

In general....I don't really agree with moderation at all. I get it for illegal content. Short of that...ignore lists exist for a reason. I guess I kind of understand at least one reason for it. I get wanting to create a welcoming atmosphere and to just avoid polarizing topics that have nothing to do with the intended topic of a forum.

I just don't like it.

As for the apparently persistent idea that "free speech" is based on the First Amendment in the US....well, obviously the later protects the former in certain circumstances. But, saying "I unequivocally and unconditionally support free speech" is a much stronger statement. It also doesn't impact property rights, as many try to claim. TGP (and FAS) have the right to run their forums however they see fit. They belong to their owners.

Saying, "I unequivocally and unconditionally support free speech" means that I don't agree with moderation. It is still fundamentally different from "I demand unconditional free speech", which would imply a conflict between free speech rights and property rights.

There very well may come a time when I voluntarily leave anywhere that doesn't support unconditional free speech, but I'm not there yet.

The really funny thing....I'm pretty sure I could pick 2 or at most 3 very strongly held ideological/philosophical beliefs and take an absolute stand on them that would completely isolate me from the entirety of social media, every forum I'm aware of, every major software and hardware vendor including the FoSS ones, and make me completely unable to live a normal life.

It's the tragedy of being a heterodox in a polarized world.

What decision? Banning members? No. My opinion is solely based on first-hand experience here.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they didn't understand you.

I'm not going to argue with you on a guitar forum. But you've repeatedly thrown accusations at me without any backup or explanation. It wasn't helpful constructive criticism, it was simply 'you're making this logical fallacy' or 'you're using this word wrong' and accusing me of hiding something.

Your lack of evidence or explanation is leaving me wondering if I am being gaslighted. Yet, despite that, I reflected on my posts. Tried to read them with a different perspective.... and determined that I'm being misunderstood, perhaps due to the vague language that we agree that I'm using (on purpose).

I think I've given enough attention to this today. Enjoy.

I'm not going to argue with you on a guitar forum.
That ship has already sailed.

But you've repeatedly thrown accusations at me without any backup or explanation. It wasn't helpful constructive criticism, it was simply 'you're making this logical fallacy' or 'you're using this word wrong' and accusing me of hiding something.
It's called an opinion based on observation, and it wasn't intended as constructive or destructive.

Your lack of evidence or explanation is leaving me wondering if I am being gaslighted. Yet, despite that, I reflected on my posts. Tried to read them with a different perspective.... and determined that I'm being misunderstood, perhaps due to the vague language that we agree that I'm using (on purpose).
Honestly, there isn't much to misunderstand. I'm not claiming that you were, in fact, deliberately using vague or ambiguous language, but that's my interpretation. Could I be wrong? Sure.

As not to get banned for potentially political commentary elsewhere what I’ve noted more recently is that with international membership bases not everyone is accustomed to having the same amount of free speech. This lately has seemed to lead to an uptick in more frequent member complaints and the accompanying censorship.

I got a week ban from TGP a while ago for a snide political comment. The funny part was that I essentially had to wait for the week before I could see the reason for it. The mod who gave the ban claimed to agree with me but imposed the ban anyway....and I bet you can guess from that which direction my snide comment slanted.

The really funny thing is that since then, subscribing to threads doesn't work right. Probably a glitch, but still....

It's just a matter of time until I get a permanent ban from TGP. Whatever. Come what may. I still get some value out of it, but not so much that I'd be heartbroken if they banned me.

As far as the bigger issues that have crept into this thread....without intentionally expressing any contentious positions....

In general....I don't really agree with moderation at all. I get it for illegal content. Short of that...ignore lists exist for a reason. I guess I kind of understand at least one reason for it. I get wanting to create a welcoming atmosphere and to just avoid polarizing topics that have nothing to do with the intended topic of a forum.

I just don't like it.

As for the apparently persistent idea that "free speech" is based on the First Amendment in the US....well, obviously the later protects the former in certain circumstances. But, saying "I unequivocally and unconditionally support free speech" is a much stronger statement. It also doesn't impact property rights, as many try to claim. TGP (and FAS) have the right to run their forums however they see fit. They belong to their owners.

Saying, "I unequivocally and unconditionally support free speech" means that I don't agree with moderation. It is still fundamentally different from "I demand unconditional free speech", which would imply a conflict between free speech rights and property rights.

There very well may come a time when I voluntarily leave anywhere that doesn't support unconditional free speech, but I'm not there yet.

The really funny thing....I'm pretty sure I could pick 2 or at most 3 very strongly held ideological/philosophical beliefs and take an absolute stand on them that would completely isolate me from the entirety of social media, every forum I'm aware of, every major software and hardware vendor including the FoSS ones, and make me completely unable to live a normal life.

It's the tragedy of being a heterodox in a polarized world.

Private entities are entitled to determine what speech to allow, and what speech not to allow. There is no such thing as "free speech" when dealing with private venues. They can tell what they don't allow, BUT must follow it across the board. If they start picking and choosing to censor based on whatever they feel like, that can get them into trouble. All the rules must apply to everyone equally. And that most certainly is not the case at TGP.

Not just private venues. Most countries don't have a "constitution" and there is no right to free speech in most of them, even in the west.
People think they have a right to free speech, but they don't. Look up your country's law and see if you have one.

It usually sounds like " you have a right to express your opinion, but ..."
Private entities are entitled to determine what speech to allow, and what speech not to allow. There is no such thing as "free speech" when dealing with private venues. They can tell what they don't allow, BUT must follow it across the board. If they start picking and choosing to censor based on whatever they feel like, that can get them into trouble. All the rules must apply to everyone equally. And that most certainly is not the case at TGP.

The issue with TGP moderation is that it's fairly arbitrary as to when the rules are enforced. Given the volume of posting, moderation is entirely dependent on when someone chooses to hit the "report" button. The place is contentious and striated that it's not really good practice to let the people police themselves.

And the fact that the rules themselves are often applied arbitrarily. Directly calling someone an idiot will always get a slap, regardless of how idiotic the post was. Replying to a post where someone asserts X that "anyone that thinks X is an idiot" however...may or may not.

When you have multiple layers of arbitrary/capriciousness, then you also get people not only not caring about the rules, but overtly pushing the limits of them.

And in terms of commercial-related activity the rules aren't applied arbitrarily at all, but discriminately depending on the size of the vendor.

Also, WBellman will always be Billy Bell-end in my mind.
Do you have a blind test video to prove your theories?!?!?!?

Yes, the "non-owner complainer QC thread".
I never posted in any other official QC thread to keep some respect and order, but some pathetic individual really wanted me gone even from the non-owner satire thread.
I really liked sharing IRs and amp science there, but apparently one little butt hurt biatch is enough to cancel me for everyone. :D

EDIT:
Let me also say that banning Cliff from TGP was absolutely idiotic.
They could just delete the 'war' posts and move on.
Tried PM'ing you but you are locked down like Fort Knox :D

Do you have a blind test video to prove your theories?!?!?!?
No, but I have plenty of PMs between myself and the mods on the site. Which I can't access because I'm banned. Which is another thorn in my side. Once they ban you, you have virtually no recourse. You can try to send the a "Contact Us" message, or e-mail Scott, but they are pretty choosy with that, too. In my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom