Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel dumb asking this, but where does that much money come from? Ads? Sponsor deals?

TBH, TGP’s gotten awful thirsty with emails lately: “Here are the trending topics, as if you don’t spend enough time on the internet already,” and “here is a new thing that nobody asked for and coincidentally requires a different unsubscribe request to opt out of.”

Attention economy. :)

Forums with huge memberships and a LOT of views are BIG business. Fuck, Reddit is purported to be
worth upwards of $20 billion. $20 billion! What do they make, though? Nothing! It's just a gathering
place that is rich to be mined by those who mine our attention. With maybe some useful info on the
side. ;)

Not saying The Gearpage is Reddit, but with their global reach I think they are a big sell for music retailers like
Sweetwater, MF, G66, Thomann's. They also sell "memberships" that allow you to buy and sell gear. There are
several levels. Not sure on the amounts. It's an annual thing. But $20 x 50,000 is still a million bucks a year!

Then toss in the Ad Sense revenue with the pop ups peddling everything from Citi Bank to Lingerie and Fancy
Man Boots. It all adds up and gives them a considerable amount of power and revenue in the music instrument
and retail arena. That fact could also end up generating some conflicts of interest, like what we see with Guitar
Magazines, where maybe there is less of an attempt to be honest and fair and things are a bit biased in the
direction of the retailers and businesses that give TGP the most Ad Revenue.

To be fair, though, most of this is just my own speculative breakdown.

Attention economy. :)

Forums with huge memberships and a LOT of views are BIG business.

Yeah....it's probably about targeted advertising and identified tracking. It's actually really hard to prevent that kind of thing these days...ad blockers don't do all of it, VPNs can't block everything, etc..

The simplest side of it is that gear companies know they can advertise on hobby-specific forums and know they're going to get better click-throughs and purchases than advertising randomly. And it just gets more interesting/complex from there.

WguBcDZ.png

Most of that is what I manage to block of the things I mentioned. I'm sure there's more that gets through.

The funny thing is that the vast majority of people seem to like this new kind of advertising.

You probably don't get as much "obvious" spam as you did 25 years ago, and apparently people actually prefer that. A lot of people claim they don't, but the metrics say otherwise, most of the time.

6 million a year seems high just for what I see being blocked.

I'm pretty sure that means they're doing things to try to uniquely identify visitors, correlate that with external data sources, and then selling that as actual high-value data....which, AFAIK, actually bypasses anything they have written in their privacy policy as well as most CCPA and GDPR restrictions because they're not actually selling the information users give them, they're selling things they collect passively and automatically that doesn't actually require the users to submit anything or even register for an account.

That kind of thing....is insanely common. It's more common on BS "let's all just use an RSS feed to repost the same stories" blogs and social media.

SM is really bad about it. They typically call them "shadow profiles". Facebook, for example, knows who you are and has a lot of information on you even if you've never signed up for an account. The simplest way it starts is that someone who has you in their phone signs up for an account and then gives FB access to their contacts to search for friends on the network. They obviously do that search, but they also store identifiers and information about the real-life social networks of people who haven't signed up yet just in case they ever do.....and so they can use and sell information about people who aren't their users, haven't agreed to and aren't bound by ToS/privacy, and haven't requested exclusion via CCPA/GDPR.

It's actually really freaky if you get to the point that you peek under the hood of all this stuff.

I'm just happy that, at present, the whole "corporate spying" world seems to be focused on selling me things that I'm at least vaguely interested in rather than anything seriously nefarious.

Yeah....it's probably about targeted advertising and identified tracking. It's actually really hard to prevent that kind of thing these days...ad blockers don't do all of it, VPNs can't block everything, etc..

I'm pretty sure that means they're doing things to try to uniquely identify visitors, correlate that with external data sources, and then selling that as actual high-value data....which, AFAIK, actually bypasses anything they have written in their privacy policy as well as most CCPA and GDPR restrictions because they're not actually selling the information users give them, they're selling things they collect passively and automatically that doesn't actually require the users to submit anything or even register for an account.

I am wondering if this sort of "giveaway" falls into that sort of territory in your 2nd paragraph??

Thread:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...3-350-in-free-gear-winners-announced.2278757/

The software company they are "partnering with" is going to give away $3,350 in gear that
you choose by posting a screenshot of what you want on the TGP thread. But what is the value
of the data collected in the name of giving away gear? Does anyone really care about the larger
implications of what is going on if they receive a new guitar? I am guessing not. Not even a little.

But what is the value of the data collected in the name of giving away gear?
Same as any other targeted advertising information - associations between individual people, browser/computer/ISP fingerprinting, email addresses, and interests.

And, no, they don't care.

Like I said, most people are just happy they get better ads. I'm happy, so far, that the complete lack of privacy online isn't currently being used for anything more nefarious than selling me stuff I'm probably interested in.

Yes indeed...the phrase coined for the surrendering of user data and privacy is "surveillance capitalism", and it's use isn't benign....

Yup. You can enter all of your personal information for free in our little contest. It will cost you nothing to enter!

In the process we will procure data dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of times more valuable than the $800
guitar (or whatever) we are giving away to one person out of the hundreds or thousands who enter.

Just focus on the carrot people, and not on the stick, or who is holding it. :)

The vibe over there is so pretentious. Not sure if anyone has been on the r/guitarcirclejerk subreddit but it's like that except unironically. Over here people tell you how you're mistaken with zero snark, which is why I prefer it.

This is what TGP looks like without an ad blocker:

IDIOCRACY-TV.png
Envious and jealous toxic people who rot the lives of those who have ideas, talent, vision. a story as old as the world. unfortunately.. no matter who we are an injustice is hard to take, in the end TGP loses a visionary to the detriment of a rat.

Forum modrestore are definitely an issue. I stopped participating on a company’s forum and, after spending tens of thousands of dollars with them, won’t buy their products any longer. Forum mods, like politicians, should be replaced regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom