Axe II - Sound Randomly Cuts Out?

Muzick

Experienced
Hey everyone,

I've been recording with the Axe II for a month or so and as of a couple weeks ago, my axe has suddenly stopped outputting sound. I was playing a gig last night and it cut out during our opening song... like 30 seconds into it. When this happens I turn the Axe off for a few secs, turn it back on, and the problem resolves itself. I've already contacted support and they recommend for me to wait for Firmware 3.0 to see if it resolves the issue, otherwise I need to ship it back to them for repairs. I'm fine with this answer, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Thanks,
Brandon

Yes. I have had this happen perhaps five or six times since I got the Axe in August. When the sound went out the third time or so, I tried cycling presets and plugging the Axe into various amplifiers/FRFR speakers to confirm it was the Axe not outputting sound before power cycling to fix it. Very odd. Thankfully hasn't happened yet at any point that would matter or be publicly noticeable.

I have used my II extensively now in both recording and live situations... it's never exhibited that behavior.

Not doubting you at all, just adding my experience to the discussion.

Hey everyone,

I've been recording with the Axe II for a month or so and as of a couple weeks ago, my axe
has suddenly stopped outputting sound. I was playing a gig last night and it cut out during our opening song... like 30 seconds into it. When this happens I turn the Axe off for a few secs, turn it back on, and the problem resolves itself. I've already contacted support and they recommend for me to wait for Firmware 3.0 to see if it resolves the issue, otherwise I need to ship it back to them for repairs. I'm fine with this answer, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Thanks,
Brandon

I believe it's an issue with the MFC.
Got the latest firmware installed?

This happened to me today - had to power cycle to get sound back. I was plugged into the laptop via USB and also another sound card via SPDIF (48k both sides), so there was a lot going on. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. I also have an MFC but am running firmware 1.04 on it.

Same thing happened to me last night in the middle of a gig. Not connected to anything except audio and MFC. Running 1.04.
Not a happy thing in the middle of a show. Had to reboot.
One note though is that audio did not completely cut out, it was very faint but I could hear, because I'm playing with in-ears, a faint unprocessed signal. Sounded more like the unit was entirely bypassed.

The MFC bug causes the unit to go into bypass. Perhaps there is still an issue with the MFC firmware.

The MFC bug causes the unit to go into bypass. Perhaps there is still an issue with the MFC firmware.

If it happens again, I'll double check the bypass state of the unit and will report. I appreciate the concern and efforts to resolve it.

One note though is that audio did not completely cut out, it was very faint but I could hear, because I'm playing with in-ears, a faint unprocessed signal. Sounded more like the unit was entirely bypassed.
Same here - I could hear a faint signal. It actually just happened again after leaving it for about 30 minutes - I came back and it was mute again. I didn't notice the Axe showing it was in bypass, but perhaps it's not updating the display when it happens.

jeez... that's really scary....

why is it that only some and not all folk suffer with this???
what is it that is different about them?

I have had the exact same experience described by Patzag. I also have the MFC firmware version 1.04 and AxeFX II with 2.00c installed.

I have not found anything that would qualify as a consistent factor. It simply cuts the sound down to a very low, barely audible level with a big drop in gain. Resetting the Axe FX corrects the issue.

If it happens again, please also check if the amp sim perhaps has been switched from X to Y.
Would indicate a bug.

This has happened with mine as well, running all current firmware, twice at a gig, had to restart the axe and then it was fine

Happened again last night in the middle of a gig, but different this time. The sound thinned out. Like a drop of 6 dBs and lost all the lows. I had no time to look for reasons why, I just pressed the preset again on the MFC and was back in business. Ow.

Happened again last night in the middle of a gig, but different this time. The sound thinned out. Like a drop of 6 dBs and lost all the lows. I had no time to look for reasons why, I just pressed the preset again on the MFC and was back in business. Ow.

Hmm....

Could be bypass or maybe switch to Y (default Bassman '59 sounds very low in volume in comparison).

Do you have a switch connected to the MFC?

Are you using a CAT5 cable between MFC and Axe ?
I have seen random behavior (with another vendors rig that I used for a long time) when the CAT5 cable gets torque in either end of the cable. This can cause the pins on cable and device jack to miss-align causing random outcomes. The dropping of tone (my old unit would go into manual mode) and fixing it by pressing the preset button on the MFC again is very similar to my past experiences.

That stated, I have not experienced this with my Axe-II and MFC, either at home or live. But I AM VERY CAREFUL to make sure the CAT5 is not binding and laying flat on the floor with no torque in the cable at a gig. Been flawless so far.

I've had the II for about two months now and this happened to me once about a week after getting it. I had it usb'd to the computer so I assumed it was that (didn't have the mfc yet). I've had the mfc101 for a few weeks now it hasn't happened again.

Back
Top Bottom