Axe-Fx Tone Imprinting. Guitar Profiler Tone-Match Cloner (Guitar Vault, Season III) ~ SIM1 XT-1

I wouldn't. You can play the same pitch in multiple places on a guitar.
Given the instructions with regard to the unit's "learning procedure", I would, though if you have a better explanation, I'd be interested to hear it. Either way, playing an ascending chromatic scale consisting of 6 notes per string via EQ matching doesn't produce the same effect.

It is not about capturing the strings separately or about pitch detection, it is about profiling the notes of the chromatic scale. You could play the same chromatic scale at one or two strings only. The only reason to play it on separate strings is that, like any other scale in a guitar, it is more convenient to move to the next string as you use all the fingers

It is not about capturing the strings separately or about pitch detection, it is about profiling the notes of the chromatic scale. You could play the same chromatic scale at one string only. The reason to play it on separate strings is that, like any other scale in a guitar, it is more convenient to move to the next string as you use all the fingers
The proof is in the pudding. As mentioned in my reply above, playing an ascending chromatic scale consisting of 6 notes per string via EQ matching doesn't produce the same effect, regardless of what the averaging time is set to. If you disagree, then please post samples of a series of different chords played up and down the neck using the reference guitar and the same series of differing chords played via EQ matching. In my testing, the match is accurate within a very limited range. Moreover, my comments are only applicable to EQ matching at the input stage.

Last edited:
I still cannot understand what technology do you think that the XT-1 is using, neither the rationale for discarding tone-matching

I still cannot understand what technology do you think that the XT-1 is using
I can only speculate. In my opinion, the unit does use EQ matching, but they've figured out how to match the spectrum of individual strings. Given they have a proprietary patent on the technology, it's all conjecture.

Personally, I'm one of the biggest proponents of EQ matching you'll find. In my opinion, it's one of the most powerful tone-shaping tools in the Axe-Fx; however, there's a difference between the accuracy of the matches produced pre and post amp/cab.

I can only conjecture. In my opinion, the unit does use EQ matching, but they've figured out how to match the spectrum of individual strings. Given they have a proprietary patent on the technology, I can only speculate.

That is not possible, because it is not using a hex-pickup. Only the VG8/88/99, SY-1000... do separate string modeling (not based on pitch detection)

Last edited:
I can only speculate. In my opinion, the unit does use EQ matching, but they've figured out how to match the spectrum of individual strings.
Formants maybe? There's definitely differences in the timbre of a note played in two different places on a guitar even if the absolute pitch is the same.

That is not possible, because it is not using a hex-pickup.
In my opinion, it seems related to pitch in some fashion, hence the protocol for the "learning procedure"(ie. playing 6 notes per string). How it works exactly, I don't know, but it's not simply and exclusively EQ matching, even though I think the tech involves EQ matching. If it were, it would be easy enough to reproduce the effect with Tone Match/EQ matching software.

Anyway, it works for me using the Axe-FX tone match.

The pity is that only one person has shared the imprint of his guitars 😟

It would be great if more people could share more variety, like semi-hollow, archtop, Rickenbacker, acoustic...

Last edited:
If so, please post a before and after sample of different notes played up and down the neck.
I did post a sample on post #20.

I am not using it anymore, though, because it makes no sense to play with profiles of my own guitars. Waiting for someone to profile and share something different.

Challenge: someone share a imprint of a guitar that I don't have (e.g: a semi-hollow) and I try to clone it with my Strat

My current inventory:
Suhr Modern Satin
Ibanez RG550LTD with Suhr Aldrich & Dimarzio Bluesbucker
Fender American Deluxe with SSL-5/Fat50/Fat50
Schecter Nick Johnston USA, currently with a EMG DG-20 set
DIY Frankenstrat with Gravity Storm and Harmonic Design Z90
Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HSS

Last edited:
These are random notes and chords, not following the procedure described at the OP. It makes a difference
I've had no better luck playing the first 6 notes of the chromatic scale for each string as I have playing random notes/chords up and down the neck.

I didn't have much luck with these random recordings, but I had when using the described methodology. I think that the secret relies on the consistency between the source and the matched guitar. Hence the need for the chromatic scale played on a similar pace

Last edited:
I didn't have much luck with these random recordings, but I had when using the described methodology. I think that the secret relies on the consistency between the source and the matched guitar. Hence the need for the chromatic scale
From what I understand, the first clip in the sample you posted (post #20) is the Schecter, the 2nd clip is the Strat, and the 3rd clip is a Tone Match of the Strat using the Schecter, correct?

Okay, so I'm under the impression that the 3rd clip is supposed to be a match of the Strat in the 2nd clip; however, I'm not hearing a big difference between the 1st clip (Schecter) and the 3rd clip (Schecter), unless you were trying to Tone Match the Strat to the Schecter.

1) Schecter with P90
2) Strat
3) Same recording of the Strat at 2, re-amped through the SchecterP90 Tone-Match

Okay, so I'm under the impression that the 3rd clip is supposed to be a match of the Strat in the 2nd clip; however, I'm not hearing a whole lot of difference between the 1st clip (Schecter) and the 3rd clip (Schecter).

If you don't hear much difference between 1) and 3) that is because the ToneMatch of the Axe-FX for profiling guitars is accurate when using that methodology, as I was saying :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom