Axe-Fx Tone Imprinting. Guitar Profiler Tone-Match Cloner (Guitar Vault, Season III) ~ SIM1 XT-1

If we're recording samples from the DAW, perhaps compressing/limiting the recordings a bit would help even out the volumes (i.e. when playing the 36 chromatic notes) for a better tonematch? And since it's a long-running sample, I assume it would be best to select the Peak Hold averaging parameter so that all notes are taken into account?

Last edited:
I added the link because I added several more pickup wavs and I wasn't sure which ones you had.

I'd imagine it would be much easier to tonematch if a scale was played. too many things can go wrong when chording, like playing with a hard pick and scraping the strings (guilty). the high frequency spike is included with the tonematch, for better or worse. tonematching my guitars is much easier than using someone else's wav file because of that very reason. I tend to pick the same way using the same pick so my tonematch ends up pretty good every time. not so much when someone chugs a riff or tunes down to the key of death and plays something obscure and expects me to play the same thing. I have some of those files in the vault that were donated and maybe someone else is into the same thing and it works for them, but not so much for most of us.

Is it possible to even the levels using compression/limiting without altering the natural dynamic envelope (attack/decay/sustain/release) of the notes?

I think that the only way to do that without adding compression would be by splitting the notes in clips (that would be easy, because there is one note per beat) and adjusting the individual volume for each clip.

So far the results are good without going to that detail, but I will experiment to see if there is further improvement

Yes, riding the levels would be the best way w/o changing the dynamics if you wanna get down to that. Does the tonematch process take the dynamics into account or is it just matching the EQ?

Just EQ matching, but you should really soon at playing the whole piece with even dynamics. If you need to normalize every note, maybe play it again?

BUMP!

Nobody sharing profiles of their guitars?

It would be nice to have some archtop, acoustic, nylon and vintage guitars 🙂

Please, follow the XT-1 chromatic scale methodology described at the OP

Last edited:
BUMP!

Nobody sharing profiles of their guitars?

It would be nice to have some archtop, acoustic, nylon and vintage guitars 🙂

Please, follow the XT-1 chromatic scale methodology described at the OP
If your approach is working for you - great. I can only repeat that I use the SIM1 and I am very happy with it. Recently I found a way to send Program Changes to change Pickups via MIDI. I think that SIM1 still has some problems in terms of usability because you cannot connect it directly to your computer, but in my ears the sound quality is pretty good if you want to for example to simulate the sound of a Gibson Humbucker Guitar using as Strat Guitar.

If your approach is working for you - great. I can only repeat that I use the SIM1 and I am very happy with it. Recently I found a way to send Program Changes to change Pickups via MIDI. I think that SIM1 still has some problems in terms of usability because you cannot connect it directly to your computer, but in my ears the sound quality is pretty good if you want to for example to simulate the sound of a Gibson Humbucker Guitar using as Strat Guitar.

The SIM1 is truly a far better solution to sonically matching guitars than tone matching.

Have you had the opportunity to do an A/B comparison? It seems like the SIM1 technology is nothing but tone matching.

By tone matching, I mean standard EQ matching, which doesn't take individual strings into account. The SIM1 does. I'm a huge advocate of tone matching the output stage, but the accuracy of tone matching the input stage with standard EQ matching is extremely limited.

Last edited:
By tone matching, I mean standard EQ matching, which doesn't take individual strings into account. The SIM1 does. I'm a huge advocate of tone matching the output stage, but the accuracy of tone matching the input stage with standard EQ matching is extremely limited.

How can the SIM1 take into account individual strings if it uses the regular pickups? Only the Roland V-Guitar (VG8/VG99/SY-1000) with the hex-pickup processes the strings separately, and the simulations are far better than both the Axe-fx or the SIM1

How can the SIM1 take into account individual strings if it uses the regular pickups? Only the Roland V-Guitar (VG8/VG99/SY-1000) with the hex-pickup processes the strings separately, and the simulations are far better than both the Axe-fx or the SIM1
For what i read, it asks you to perform a chromatic template playing on your neck

For what i read, it asks you to perform a chromatic template playing on your neck

We can also do that at the Axe-FX, as indicated at the OP. Neither the Axe or the SIM1 know which string you are playing, they just capture and match the chromatic scale at both the source and the matched guitar

My suspicion is that it uses pitch detection in tandem with eq matching to associate a given frequency curve with a specific pitch.

Last edited:
We can also do that at the Axe-FX, as indicated at the OP. Neither the Axe or the SIM1 know which string you are playing, they just capture and match the chromatic scale at both the source and the matched guitar

Tone Match averages the overall frequency spectrum over time. It doesn't create an average for each individual pitch.

Last edited:

That's right. You have to play that sequence in a given time. When done it shows a quality rating of how good you did that.
But why that? Is it able then to know how each string sounds?

That's right. You have to play that sequence in a given time. When done it shows a quality rating of how good you did that. But why that? Is it able then to know how each string sounds?

I'm not sure of their methodology, but I would tend to think it involves pitch detection.

Back
Top Bottom