Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't like this firmware then your ears are shot. I went through every single model that uses a cathode follower and compared it to the real amp. That's why it took so long. My ears have gotten quite refined and even I was guessing wrong at which was the amp and which was the model. The second to last amp I tested was my all original black panel SLO 100. IMO the model sounds better than the actual amp because the model doesn't hum as much.

Oh, and the last amp I tested was my AC30. I think the model is better than the actual amp in this case too because I don't have to bang on it to get the pilot light to work and it doesn't put out so much heat that I can turn the furnace off.

Oh, and the last amp I tested was my AC30. I think the model is better than the actual amp in this case too because I don't have to bang on it to get the pilot light to work and it doesn't put out so much heat that I can turn the furnace off.

How am i gonna stay warm in the NYC cold then...? Can you turn the heat up a notch for next release?

Just played around with those settings and they didn't work for me. I liked both the bass and mid at about 5.5.
The tone settings are going to be different with the guitar used. I'm using a Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 with PRS Dragon II Humbucking Pickups. I had the bass on 5 originally and recently cut it down to 3.5.

Yup. It's got that nice midrange honk and growl now. Was too boomy and scooped in the betas. SLO 100s are NOT smooth amps. They are nasty, aggressive things that you have to crank the MV.
So, question, The Solo 100 amp's default MV is 5. Will cranking it more get rid of the bite I'm now getting? I'll try it. Thanks.

Of course we'll now want to see a pilot light for this model in Axe Edit, that occasionally requires you to bang the mouse on the table to get it working... in the chase for realism of course ;-)
Thanks
Pauly

So, question, The Solo 100 amp's default MV is 5. Will cranking it more get rid of the bite I'm now getting? I'll try it. Thanks.
It's always been my understanding of the real amps that they need to have high master volume settings to sound good & that is true of the model too. Maybe the default master setting should be changed on the SLO models.

I can hear a nice 'thunk' on most of the preset/amps that I use.

But... I have one particular preset that uses a 'Deluxe Tweed' model (#92) that is being pushed pretty hard and always sounded kinda 'broken', but in a good way. But now it's just falling apart? I tried a few things, but not much success yet?

I will check out some of the other Fenders to see if I can get what I need. Will also try resetting it, even though it's not mentioned in the release notes.

Does anyone that uses that model find the same thing?
Just had a thought about this. That amp has a ton of blocking distortion. It can be reduced by decreasing the Bias Excursion in the preamp. The new firmware resets the Bias Excursion when loading an old preset because some of those values were updated. You may have turned down the Bias Excursion and now when loading your old preset the value was reset.

I will add this to the release notes.

Of course we'll now want to see a pilot light for this model in Axe Edit, that occasionally requires you to bang the mouse on the table to get it working... in the chase for realism of course ;-)
Thanks
Pauly

This is by far the greatest wish list item I have ever heard!

Please Cliff Let this happen... Think of the marketing aspect alone..."Even has a "traditional" mode for those nostalgic for anxiety"

This is by far the greatest wish list item I have ever heard!

Please Cliff Let this happen... Think of the marketing aspect alone..."Even has a "traditional" mode for those nostalgic for anxiety"

Im still waiting for The AxeFx to get so hot that i can fry an egg on it...

I accidentally deleted my Beta 2 firmware and I see the link is no longer valid. Would like to revert for some comparisons . Tried the Herbie and sounds muffled and not as aggressive also hear some cracking artifacts on some of my patches . Can anybody help me out and post Beta 2 . Thanks
Got a copy.. will experiment . Thanks

A “Grid Clipping” parameter has been added which allows the user to adjust the grid clipping in the cathode follower. The default value reflects the “softer” response of classic British and American tubes like Mullard, Sylvania and RCA. Higher values simulate the response of modern Chinese and Russian tubes with more abrupt clipping.

I like that parameter!!! Tube rolling on steroids!

Wish for next firmware: parameters to tweak the skill and dexterity of the operator, as stated at the beginning of this video:

I accidentally deleted my Beta 2 firmware and I see the link is no longer valid. Would like to revert for some comparisons . Tried the Herbie and sounds muffled and not as aggressive also hear some cracking artifacts on some of my patches . Can anybody help me out and post Beta 2 . Thanks
Reset a couple of the amp blocks and tweaked a bit and all is good.. Thank you again Cliff and the whole FAS team..

Yes. That's how those amps are designed. They are stadium amps. The default value is just a starting point, like any of the other knobs. If you weren't supposed to adjust it it wouldn't be there.
Thank You! The reason I chose them. Mostly play outdoor events.
I got is set back the way I like it. I rolled up the bass from 3 to 3.5, reduced the mid from 6 to 5.5 and dropped presence from 5 to 3. I left the MV at 5 for now, because I like the push I'm getting with the Tube Screamer on gain 1 in front. I'll play around with the Master Volume. I just remember if it gets too high, things get muddy for me. I like to sit in the mix without cluttering the bass and kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom