Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Just installed version 5 beta #3 and went through my presets. They sound kind of lifeless and tinny, in a brittle way, compared to version 5 beta #2. So I A/B'd version 5 beta #2 with version 5 beta #3. There's something lacking in the fullness, tone quality and feel in beta 3. So I'm assuming some drastic EQing is needed.
It may be my ears, so I'm going to walk away for an hour or so and come back, as we had a long rehearsal this afternoon.
But even my band mates remarked about how killer and full my guitar sounded at rehearsal when I was on beta 2.

Which amps seem to be affected?

I Just installed version 5 beta #3 and went through my presets. They sound kind of lifeless and tinny, in a brittle way, compared to version 5 beta #2. So I A/B'd version 5 beta #2 with version 5 beta #3. There's something lacking in the fullness, tone quality and feel in beta 3. So I'm assuming some drastic EQing is needed.
It may be my ears, so I'm going to walk away for an hour or so and come back, as we had a long rehearsal this afternoon.
But even my band mates remarked about how killer and full my guitar sounded at rehearsal when I was on beta 2.
if the previous betas had "too much bass" and people set EQ for that, then this one will have "not enough bass" with those settings that cut bass.

any major firmware release that changes amp modeling, i personally always choose to reset the amp type to default and dial in from scratch. almost every time i did this over the past 10 years, the new version was easier and faster to dial in, with less knob turns.

the modeling is changing with the firmware update. i personally don't expect anything to sound the same, and hence dial in from scratch as i described. it always works out.

I accidentally deleted my Beta 2 firmware and I see the link is no longer valid. Would like to revert for some comparisons . Tried the Herbie and sounds muffled and not as aggressive also hear some cracking artifacts on some of my patches . Can anybody help me out and post Beta 2 . Thanks

Thank you. The JTM 45 is awesome. I meant to add that the feel and pick attack seems just perfect on the edge of break up.

When I try to choose FAS Boost for boost type in the amp block, it changes to Shimmer. Is that because Axe Edit hasn't been updated yet?

I can hear a nice 'thunk' on most of the preset/amps that I use.

But... I have one particular preset that uses a 'Deluxe Tweed' model (#92) that is being pushed pretty hard and always sounded kinda 'broken', but in a good way. But now it's just falling apart? I tried a few things, but not much success yet?

I will check out some of the other Fenders to see if I can get what I need. Will also try resetting it, even though it's not mentioned in the release notes.

Does anyone that uses that model find the same thing?

Last edited:
After loading the new firmware, I tried out my main preset which has a clean scene (CA3+), dirt (Friedman Small Box), and heavy (Solo 100 Lead). The clean and heavy presets sounded great, but the Small Box sounded horrible. It was like there was no bass at all. Sounded very thin. I played with it for a few minutes and just couldn't get it to sound right. So I did a reset on the amp and within a minute or two making tweaks to BMTP and a little more master volume I got it sounding great again.

But... I have one particular preset that uses a 'Deluxe Tweed' model (#92) that is being pushed pretty hard and always sounded kinda 'broken', but in a good way. But now it's just falling apart? I tried a few things, but not much success yet?

I will check out some of the other Fenders to see if I can get what I need. Will also try resetting it, even though it's not mentioned in the release notes.

No, I find the Deluxe Tweed sounds more incredible now than ever, even with input gain maxed..(single coil strat

Which amps seem to be affected?
For 1 example, I use the Solo 100 amp for 5 presets, set a little different in each. My main settings are Gain 6, bass 3.5, mid 6, treble 5, presence 3, master 5. I use a TS808 non mod, in front, with a gain of 1, tone 5, mix 100%, level 5.

With Beta 1, they were a little bass heavy, so I adjusted from 5 to below 3. Beta 2 perfect. Beta 3 cuts like a knife, very harsh.

For 1 example, I use the Solo 100 amp for 5 presets, set a little different in each. My main settings are Gain 6, bass 3.5, mid 6, treble 5, presence 3, master 5. I use a TS808 non mod, in front, with a gain of 1, tone 5, mix 100%, level 5.

With Beta 1, they were a little bass heavy, so I adjusted from 5 to below 3. Beta 2 perfect. Beta 3 cuts like a knife, very harsh.
Just played around with those settings and they didn't work for me. I liked both the bass and mid at about 5.5.

I haven't tried the Herbie (3) in a long time, but was it always so dark an amp? Using EMG 81/85 pickup guitar and I really need to crank the treble and/or presence to open it up. Is that all just to do with my pickups? Not that I'm complaining, mind, as it sounds great when I do play with those controls. The rest of the controls seem to behave quite differently to other amps as well. Cool stuff.
Herbert checks out fantastic here.. I’m just using some Greenbacks for IR’s and Channel 2+ and using either with or without the Shimmer Boost, and turned the Treble up on the Amp a bit.. that’s it. Was my old patch from before & I didn’t change a thing, sounds at least as good if not better than ever.

All the Fender models except the 59 Bassman and 5F8 Tweed don't have cathode followers. The only algorithm changes were to the cathode follower and amps that use them. Therefore the Deluxe Tweed has not changed. I just tested it here and it sounds fine. That amp (and the model) is quite nasty when overdriven.

Here are my modeling notes for that specific amp:
// The actual amp has no grid stopper resistor on the second stage and therefore
// has LOTS of blocking distortion.

You'd mentioned in an earlier beta that the triode modeling had been improved and that this applied to all amp models. Is that still the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom