Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta

Again.... Defending him ?

I just think it’s frickin funny how lots of people ask and ask for soemthing, and then an hour later, people are asking can they have the old stuff back

I just laugh thinking of Cliffs reaction when he reads it; which again is probably that of a frustrated parent who still obviously loves his kids, even when they annoy him to no end...

I don’t know, man. Maybe some of you guys don’t have kids, or take these toys way too seriously.

It was just a casual comment on the humor of how quickly the desire for new features becomes desire for having the old stuff back. I mean come on, how can you not laugh at that ?

Lighten up guys
For sure....but I don’t think he was asking to go back to old firmware....

He apparently has a favorite preset based off of the Rat ....and wanted to see what parameters (if any) would get that preset back to what turns him on.

Cliff frequently gives advice following new firmware on how to dial in previous firmware characteristics.

Not that he has any for this firmware ....mind you

Haven't tried the new FW yet, but have a question: Cliff said the basic page now shows the controls of the modeled pedal. Are all the old controls still there on another page?

Some of my favorite settings are with "non-authentic" controls :)

Some of the drives have different cpu usage but it seems the new algorithms save around 2% per block instance.

That is great news about the CPU!

I actually really like quite a few of the old ones, but I'm really looking forward to trying the new drives.

Will the 4 knob tube driver be getting an update? That's one I was hoping for.

Rat sounds drastically different. Is there a way to tweak it to sound more like previous firmware?

I bought my Rat many years ago from Charlie "Captain of the Universe" Wicks who owned Pro Co at the time. He'd just started his cable company and had just made them. It still works, as do all of the cables I bought from him.

I noticed that today you can buy several different models of the Rat. I have never tried any of those, but I have heard them in demos on YouTube. I like the original one the best.

I haven't tried any of the new Axe FXIII drives yet, but I liked the Rat we had also. I'm hoping the new one will also sound great. I feel pretty sure it will.

Now that puts a smile on a guy's face. I've always been tinkering with DIY pedals and mods and having the diodes option really opens the ''analog mods catalog''. Yes we do had the advanced controls ( Which are quite useful ) but being able to really replace a specific part ( like tubes in the amp block ) is the basic of the boutique market. When you have a drive pedal with a switch that gives the sound just a different flavour, it's most likely a different clipping configuration ( i.e. diodes ) The TS-808, Boss SD-1 and Blues Breaker being some of the most commonly tweaked pedal in the DIY community, I thought I'd share a bit of info.

Boss SD-1
  • The vintage ones ( made in Japan, pre 87’…ish ) use the same 1S1588 as found in the Vintage Tube Screamers, Handwired Tube Screamer and Analogman King Of Tone.
  • It has an Asymmetrical section. That means it uses 1 pair of diode on one side and a single diode on the other side.
  • Put 1 diodes per side to get a feel similar to the tube screamer
TS-808
  • There are actually 2 ‘’vintage correct diodes’’ for this model. The blue ones are 1S1588 and the red ones are MA150.
  • Symmetrical clipping. Put a pair and a single diode to create an asymmetrical clipping like the SD-1

Blues OD ( Marshall Blues breaker MK-1 )
  • Some famous variations include the Analogman King Of Tone ( 1S1588 ), JHS Morning Glory and the new Wampler Pantheon.

If you have a variation of one these circuits and would like to get closer to the original tone, I suggest you search on google image the name of the pedal and add * Schematic. A LOT of the boutique stuff is on there and you can see what diodes are used.

On a personal note, I'll see if I can match my 82' TS-9 and 83' SD-1 with the Axe FX. I'm pretty sure I'll get damn close now.

Now that puts a smile on a guy's face. I've always been tinkering with DIY pedals and mods and having the diodes option really opens the ''analog mods catalog''. Yes we do had the advanced controls ( Which are quite useful ) but being able to really replace a specific part ( like tubes in the amp block ) is the basic of the boutique market. When you have a drive pedal with a switch that gives the sound just a different flavour, it's most likely a different clipping configuration ( i.e. diodes ) The TS-808, Boss SD-1 and Blues Breaker being some of the most commonly tweaked pedal in the DIY community, I thought I'd share a bit of info.

Boss SD-1
  • The vintage ones ( made in Japan, pre 87’…ish ) use the same 1S1588 as found in the Vintage Tube Screamers, Handwired Tube Screamer and Analogman King Of Tone.
  • It has an Asymmetrical section. That means it uses 1 pair of diode on one side and a single diode on the other side.
TS-808
  • There are actually 2 ‘’vintage correct diodes’’ for this model. The blue ones are 1S1588 and the red ones are MA150.
  • Symmetrical clipping. Put a pair and a single diode to create an asymmetrical clipping like the SD-1

• Some famous variations include the Analogman King Of Tone ( 1S1588 ), JHS Morning Glory and the new Wampler Pantheon.

If you have a variation of one these circuits and would like to get closer to the original tone, I suggest you search on google image the name of the pedal and add * Schematic. A LOT of the boutique stuff is on there and you can see what diodes are used.

On a personal note, I'll see if I can match my 82' TS-9 and 83' SD-1 with the Axe FX. I'm pretty sure I'll get damn close now.
Wonder if it’d be possible to add in a slot or two for a totally customizable pedal creation. Like a “Pedal Creator/Builder” Slot, now that it looks like there’s basically a veritable “parts bin” at our disposal. Hmmm

Boss SD-1
TS-808

Cool information!

Bug: quick little bug to report: On the Blues OD if you put the Drive on 10.00 the Volume drops off to just about nothing.
And this new modeling technique is absolutely fantastic!

Last edited:
Wonder if it’d be possible to add in a slot or two for a totally customizable pedal creation. Like a “Pedal Creator/Builder” Slot, now that it looks like there’s basically a veritable “parts bin” at our disposal. Hmmm

That'd be incredible for sure. Though, I wonder how many users would go that deep. Realistically, that'd be nice to have more variations of certain circuits.

Timmy - Venuram Jan Ray, Lovepedal Amp 11...
Blues Breaker - KOT, Morning Glory
Micro Amp - Dod 250

That'd be incredible for sure. Though, I wonder how many users would go that deep. Realistically, that'd be nice to have more variations of certain circuits.

Timmy - Venuram Jan Ray, Lovepedal Amp 11...
Blues Breaker - KOT, Morning Glory
Micro Amp - Dod 250
Probably more than you’d think. Although I was thinking about it & seeing as how most of everything is built off of something else, (an already existing platform) I suppose we just load up that pedal, swap out the parts and tweak it up & then name it & save it as a block file. Not quite build from scratch, but that’s asking a little much I’m sure.

Probably more than you’d think. Although I was thinking about it & seeing as how most of everything is built off of something else, (an already existing platform) I suppose we just load up that pedal, swap out the parts and tweak it up & then name it & save it as a block file. Not quite build from scratch, but that’s asking a little much I’m sure.

That's the ultimate destination. I'm pretty sure it'll get there at some point... In the meantime, I could ''survive'' with just a few more drives pedals based of the ones we already got... ;)

Back
Top Bottom