Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta 1

I have no idea what you mean by "official" presets. The presets that I am talking about were stored under 11 beta 0 that came out yesterday & had the curve set to a new 11x curve, although many were not the default curve. I always have everything backed up & I saw what was happening before anything got saved today so I changed to the NO preference. No harm. No foul. I'm just saying it was not clear that any preset made on the first 11 beta 0 would get changed. I just checked & the ones I did store under 11 beta 1 (todays beta) do not update with YES selected.

Official was just a term i used to denote your presets prior to any use of beta firmware. Perhaps i should have said original or pre-11beta. No worries.

Last edited:
Official was just a term i used to denote your presets prior to any use of beta firmware. Perhaps i should have said original or pre-11beta.
As it stands, the only way to make the YES setting stop updating the curve setting is to save them under 11 beta 1.

Yet another AWESOME update, Cliff!!! @FractalAudio

This is an amazing box, and it's coming from someone that has arguably the top 3 modelers/profilers out there at the same time!!!
I also have multiple FRFR amps and a host of powered PA speakers as well. I'm the dude in the band that stays broke all the time.
LoL!!!

Axe FX III is the greatest!!!!!!!

So, after about an hour with the beta firmware and noodling around with maybe half the Speaker Impedance Curves, I can definitely hear differences. Some I definitely liked more than others.

My main preset these days is the Shiver Clean with the MV up fairly high for a clean-ish to edge of breakup tone and then I used Drive blocks to get my lead sounds.

The issue I'm facing is that I find the SICs that I like for cleaner tones mostly are not great for lead sounds (to me) and vice versa.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what the tonal effect is of the various curves and their components. For example, I found that even though some curves might have a large LF peak I don't feel like I'm hearing more prevalent bass.

I'm sure that with some more time and tweaking I'll find something that works best for me but so far I'm really feeling a bit lost ;)

I just tried this new beta. I set “Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" to yes and went through my main 40 presets. I did not save any of them. I just played a bit then went to the next preset. None of them sounded right to me.
So I set the “Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" to no and went through all the presets again. They sounded good again. I am really glad there was an option to set it to "no".

I then went through a handful of presets and hand picked the speaker impedance curve cabinet that sounded the best to me (not the one that was picked by default) and was able to get some good sounds. I didn't save anything, I just tried them out.

So I am likely going to want to leave some of the presets alone and change others.

I want to try amp channel A, and B set to new curves of my choice (not default ones) and channels C and D to my old 10.2 curves. Then save the new preset, compare them directly to each other, then tweak channels A and B to my liking.

Question: If I saved all my current unchanged presets using this beta with the “Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" to "no" would they stay that way (with the old 10.02 curves) unless I altered one or more of them and saved them later? Even if I later set it to "yes"?

I get it...now. It was not 100% clear that it was THIS FIRMWARE ONLY, not the first beta. Maybe clearer release notes would help avoid confusion like this.

"Setting Global “Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" parameter to YES will automatically update the Speaker Impedance Curve for the Amp blocks upon preset recall to use an appropriate Speaker Impedance Curve for that amp model."

My presets were NOT "pre11x.

To clarify:

Release notes are part of the beta. They are a draft of the final release notes. They always relate to previous "final" firmware versions and should be read as such. It would be confusing for endusers who never install betas to provide beta-specific notes.
Also, the ideal beta approach is to restore the previous (final) firmware and presets before installing the next beta version.

Last edited:
I just went through all 50 choices with a 2018 HBE Friedman preset. The default "greenback" didn't sound near as good as the old 10.02 curve for the 2018 HBE Friedman to me, but surprisingly many of the other choices sounded good. Not necessarily better, but different yet still useable. Even some of the 1x12 and 2x12 choices. Lots of different colors to choose from.

I just went through all 50 choices with a 2018 HBE Friedman preset. The default "greenback" didn't sound near as good as the old 10.02 curve for the 2018 HBE Friedman to me, but surprisingly many of the other choices sounded good. Not necessarily better, but different yet still useable. Even some of the 1x12 and 2x12 choices. Lots of different colors to choose from.

I‘m curious what the old pre-11 curve was. I haven’t gotten to the Friedmans yet and LOVE those cabs in the Fractal.

I went through my gigging presets yesterday evening (20 or so) update set to yes. I found my Marshall patches improved with no changes, as well as Fenders, AC30 not so much, however rather quickly I realized I was able to remove the cuts in the cab block (I had already taken the hi pass to 20hz with 10.02)and bumped the low pass to 20k) and simplified the cab selections to pretty much a 57 and 121, or 313, everything sounded even better and all the AC30 needed was a smidge of Bass and Hi Cut adjustment. Some of the Marshalls benefitted from changing to a different curve, (I'm liking the Checker) some stayed on default. We'll find out this weekend how they work with the Band, but so far by just forgetting about variations I had to make in tweaks to get what I would with the real amp, and setting the basic controls as I would with the real amp got me what I've been looking for.
So far, I'm extremely happy with fw11! I didn't have one preset that I felt wasn't improved with what I felt I'd been missing. Cranked up my CLR behind me closed my eyes and felt like there was a real cab back there. Myself, as well as many other users have requested in the past accurate curves for Cab resonance frequencies. This addition of Impedance curve gets it there! Really make my fingers feel like they're connecting with the amp!
I think the key is, start with a fresh perspective and forget the stuff trapped in your head you wind up chasing that sort of leaves us with a lot of similarities in all our presets. It's gotten more realer! 😃

I‘m curious what the old pre-11 curve was. I haven’t gotten to the Friedmans yet and LOVE those cabs in the Fractal.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you were to turn the resonance to 0 and enter the previous low and high resonance values you would have the old curve.

Question: If I saved all my current unchanged presets using this beta with the “Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" to "no" would they stay that way (with the old 10.02 curves) unless I altered one or more of them and saved them later? Even if I later set it to "yes"?

Yes.

@FractalAudio I'm preparing to make the measurement of my cab's impedance curve with REW and I was doing some tests.
I measured the maximum output voltage of the headphones out on the axe to see what levels I should expect during the measurement.

To do that I created a patch with a synth block generating a steady 1khz sine wave and connected it straight to out1, then I set the level 0.1dB before clipping with the out 1 knob turned fully clockwise.

I read almost 10 Vrms on the multimeter!!
That means that with a 4 ohm load I should get 25W (?!?) of power per channel!

But now I wonder if the headphone out can support such a draw of current (2.5A) or do I risk damaging something in the circuit?
IOW, can the headphone out support 4 ohm loads?

FWIW I measured around 2V on my roland audio interface.

@FractalAudio I'm preparing to make the measurement of my cab's impedance curve with REW and I was doing some tests.
I measured the maximum output voltage of the headphones out on the axe to see what levels I should expect during the measurement.

To do that I created a patch with a synth block generating a steady 1khz sine wave and connected it straight to out1, then I set the level 0.1dB before clipping.

I read almost 10 Vrms on the multimeter!!
That means that with a 4 ohm load I should get 25W (?!?) of power per channel!

But now I wonder if the headphone out can support such a draw of current (2.5A) or do I risk damaging something in the circuit?
IOW, can the headphone out support 4 ohm loads?

FWIW I measured around 2V on my roland audio interface.
Good lord, you can plug a hair dryer into that thing.

I understand that there’s not enough room to select the Speaker Imped Curve on the Speaker page of the Amp block (on the hardware).

But it would be most useful to just see the name of the selected curve on that page.

Would a slight adjustment of the design of that page make that possible?

Back
Top Bottom